You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

QR code exports pixelated

Hi all,

All of a sudden my QR codes are exporting very pixelated when in the past, they have exported fine. 

I am wondering if this started happening after my update as usually I can export a final file as High Quality PDF with no issues. 

Export settings: PDF > For Export > Allow advanced features

screenshot.thumb.JPG.4c02ef6ac0adf4b0fc50edf5065011be.JPG

Jeremy - Squad Workfile - 2024 - for export.pdf Jeremy - Squad Workfile - 2024.afdesign

I can’t be sure but the problem looks like it’s because the QR Code (layer name “bit.ly_boar-barra”, in various places) isn’t pixel-aligned.

Make sure that the X, Y, W and H in the Transform Panel are integer pixel values and it should work better.

Do you have an example where they exported better? I doubt that you could get better results with the current set of parameters like size, color usage (rich black) etc.

The QR code is a bitmap in CMYK color format scaled down to 20% and and not pixel-aligned. The bilinear resample will lead to blurriness.

You can regain some contrast by adding a threshold adjustment 

IMG_1118.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi @Beck,

Is there any reason for not using a vector QR Code such as the attached...

qr-code.svg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Is there any reason for not using a vector QR Code such as the attached.

This is also what I would have suggested, as raster images are often pixelated, which is not suitable for a Quick Response Code with a long URL.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Hi all,

Thank you for all your comments and input! 

I had changed our QR code to SVG file and this helped a lot with exporting it crisp and clean! 

I handover these files to a printing team that prints the shirts so I need to provide files in High Quality and also editable so they can adjust things into their template. The team use Adobe Illustrator and prefer .ai file but I can only provide what Affinity exports. 

If anyone knows which is the best File & Export settings to use, I would appreciate your input!

I usually export to PDF with settings: For Export - No compression on images - Allow advanced features.

Just curious to see if there are better options out there to ensure my printer has the best file possible for the job!

Thank you!