You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's Not Possible to Add an Object to a Picture Frame as a Child Object

In v2 of Publisher it's not possible to add an object (i.e., an image) to a frame as a regular child object...

In v1 dragging the image just below the target picture frame's row in the Layers panel and then dropping it when a highlight line appears beneath the frame's layer name correctly adds the image as a Child Object. Attempting to do this in v2 simply doesn't work, you can only add the image as framed ‘content’.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Isn't this by design?
I.e. a bug fix?
I remember the v1 behavior was pretty confusing to me.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, loukash said:

Isn't this by design? i.e. a bug fix?

Not that I'm aware of... it is still listed in the v2.4.0 help file as an option

"To add an object to a frame as a regular child object, drag its layer just below the target picture frame's row in the Layers panel and drop when a highlight line appears beneath the frame's layer name. You can add as many child objects as you wish in this way."

And it provides a neat and simple way to add multiple pictures to a single Picture Frame...

PictureFrame.thumb.png.e2c28951d99396a9a989760d51a982b8.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

8 minutes ago, Return said:

Dissect

So the methodology is different here, you've added an initial layer to the picture frame as framed content and then floated additional layers above that layer so the first framed content layer is not a regular child object as is possible in v1.

11 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Not that I'm aware of... it is still listed in the v2.4.0 help file as an option

"To add an object to a frame as a regular child object, drag its layer just below the target picture frame's row in the Layers panel and drop when a highlight line appears beneath the frame's layer name. You can add as many child objects as you wish in this way."

And it provides a neat and simple way to add multiple pictures to a single Picture Frame...

PictureFrame.thumb.png.e2c28951d99396a9a989760d51a982b8.png

Ooh, an owl and a pussycat! Where’s the sea and the pea-green boat? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Return said:

Windows

See the previous edited post...

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Ooh, an owl and a pussycat! Where’s the sea and the pea-green boat? :/

Just out of frame... 😅

11 minutes ago, Hangman said:

So the methodology is different here, you've added an initial layer to the picture frame as framed content and then floated additional layers above that layer so the first framed content layer is not a regular child object as is possible in v1.

Yes, but it makes it possible to have multiple content like you likely wanted.
as @loukash pointed out it was changed due to the default grey shape(mask) acting up.

8 minutes ago, Return said:

as @loukash pointed out it was changed due to the default grey shape(mask) acting up.

What default grey shape (mask)?

If this is the case then it shouldn't appear in the Help section...

In the case of picture frames, though, only one child object can be flagged as the framed ‘content’. This object is indicated in the Layers panel by a box containing a diagonal cross, overlaid on its layer thumbnail.

This text is indeed not that very clear.🤔

9 minutes ago, Return said:

This text is indeed not that very clear.🤔

I was referencing this in the help file...

This works as advertised in v1 but not in v2...

The bug seems to be that there needs to be content in the Picture Frame before any potential child layers can be added by dragging and dropping in the Layers panel. At least that is what I see here on Mac OS 12.7.4 with Affinity Publisher 2.4.0

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I still think that the only "bug" here is that the help content hasn't been properly updated from v1.

v1:

To add an object to a frame as a regular child object, drag its layer just below the target picture frame's row in the Layers panel and drop when a highlight line appears beneath the frame's layer name. You can add as many child objects as you wish in this way.

v2:

To add an object to a frame as a regular child object, drag its layer just below the target picture frame's row in the Layers panel and drop when a highlight line appears beneath the frame's layer name. You can add as many child objects as you wish in this way.

See the difference?
Yep, there's none… ;) 

Because what's the point of adding a single image as a "regular child" to a picture frame, of all things?
That's exactly what was confusing me many times in v1: I always thought that the picture frame was "broken" while I was only dragging the image to the wrong spot.
V2 fixed that.
For me.
But that's just me, as usual, I guess.
Meh. :D 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

The bug seems to be that there needs to be content in the Picture Frame before any potential child layers can be added by dragging and dropping in the Layers panel. At least that is what I see here on Mac OS 12.7.4 with Affinity Publisher 2.4.0

If the 'feature' (can't think what else to call it) is by design, which I assume it was in v1 based on:

a) being able to do it and
b) being described in the help file

Then, yes I agree that this is/would be the bug because you simply can't do this in v2...

13 minutes ago, loukash said:

Because what's the point of adding a single image as a "regular child" to a picture frame, of all things?

None, but my assumption was the whole point of this 'feature' was the ability to easily add multiple images to a text frame, though clearly, it is still possible to achieve in v2 once an initial image has been added as actual frame content...

I found the feature quite handy in v1, but equally, that's likely just me as usual... :D

Either the 'feature' is not working in v2 or the help file, as you point out, needs updating to reflect the change in process...

I'm sure we'll get some confirmation one way or another from the moderation team...

On 3/22/2024 at 2:32 PM, Hangman said:

In v2 of Publisher it's not possible to add an object (i.e., an image) to a frame as a regular child object...

In v2 on a Mac, use cmd modifier when drag-dropping in Layers panel to nest an object as a regular child of a Picture Frame. (Also, opt modifier will nest a duplicate if that is useful.)

An alternative method is to use the Move Inside command.

1 hour ago, lepr said:

In v2 on a Mac, use cmd modifier when drag-dropping in Layers panel to nest an object as a regular child of a Picture Frame.

Good spot, in which case the help file needs a bit of a refresh for v2...

It seems slightly odd that you need the Cmd modifier to initiate the process for the first image only... it feels as though the main issue here is with the drop zone not working correctly in v2...

1 hour ago, Return said:

If I have time I'll try to find if there's a modifier on windows too.

Cmd on Mac is usually Ctrl on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thought about that, but I suspect Ctrl will bring up the Context menu as it does on Mac...

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

There's no modifier attached to the dragging into a pictureframe as child.
AFAIK One cannot add a child to the pictureframe unless it is actual content on windows.

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Thought about that, but I suspect Ctrl will bring up the Context menu as it does on Mac...

On Windows, a right-click brings up the context menu. Control () on Mac seems to be a somewhat different beast than Ctrl on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

On Windows, a right-click brings up the context menu. Control () on Mac seems to be a somewhat different beast than Ctrl on Windows.

On Mac, Ctrl (^) is the equivalent of a right click and so equally brings up the context menu...

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

On Mac, Ctrl (^) is the equivalent of a right click and so equally brings up the context menu...

(I think) I knew that, but the point is that on Windows Ctrl isn’t equivalent to a right-click.

Alfred spacer.png