You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to delete path after text is alligned

Hi,

I am currently trying to draw text along a path that I have painted, which works flawlwssly. However, after I have done that, I have both, the path itself, and the text. What I want is the path only as a helper construct, which should not be visible when published or printed out. So how can I achieve that the path itself is not visible in the output, but only the text alongside the path? When I try to change the border thickness of the path, the thickness of the text border is changed. So I see no possibility to alter only the appearance of the path anymore.

Any hints? Thank you very mucht!

The curve that you started with is converted to a path, so when you deselect the object you should find that the curve becomes invisible.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, MEB said:

That's only in DesignerPhoto, not Publisher.

In that case, the Publisher Help is incorrect.

When a line, curve or shape is converted to a path to accommodate text, the original object is discarded. If you wish to retain the original object, we recommend duplicating it first.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Designer's Help page

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Text/pathText.html&title=Text on a path

Is this designer's help page? ;)

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

1 minute ago, tzvi20 said:

Yes, that’s the page for the feature in version 1 of Publisher. However, the same error has been carried over to the Help for version 2.

Alfred spacer.png

My first post was a typo.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In that case, the Publisher Help is incorrect.

When a line, curve or shape is converted to a path to accommodate text, the original object is discarded. If you wish to retain the original object, we recommend duplicating it first.

17 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's probably coming from the Designer's Help page.

@MEB, regarding "object is discarded" also the Designer Help is wrong or misleading at least: While its style attributes get discarded its layer type switches to Text whereas its original object type is still accessible with any Shape Tool:

helpdiscarded.thumb.jpg.e689457fcbd882cfafe201304d02b8d7.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

@MEB, regarding "object is discarded" also the Designer Help is wrong or misleading at least: While its style attributes get discarded its layer type switches to Text whereas its original object type is still accessible with any Shape Tool:

In the V2 Text on a path help pages for all 3 apps, (for example https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/pathText.html) there is this:

Reshaping the path object

You can reshape the path object at any point using the Node Tool. If your text path object originated from one of the shape tools, you can modify it as if it was still the original geometric shape. Text already present on the path will reflow along the changing path when the object is reshaped.

For more information on reshaping a path object, see the Edit curves and shapes and Draw and edit shapes topics.

I did not check what the V1 pages say but in the above topics it is clear the path object is not discarded.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7