You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Following making a pdf chaos has followed

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help please. I'm working in Affinity Publisher 2, and I made a pdf of a short document. When I returned to the original document the letters ti and te as well as ft had all been changed through the entire text to other letters, and I can no longer place images, use text wrap or change my text boxes.

I don't have enough experience to know where to go! I've reset/return to factory settings.

It's not the first time I've created a pdf, and that time was trouble free.

Could anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction, please? The document is attached.

Thank you.

Two walks in Athens 2024 contents and cover stapled booklet.afpub

Hi @Rufus Reade and welcome to the forums,

1 hour ago, Rufus Reade said:

When I returned to the original document the letters ti and te as well as ft had all been changed through the entire text to other letters, and I can no longer place images, use text wrap or change my text boxes.

This sounds as though you've opened and are attempting to edit the PDF document in Publisher rather than the original Publisher file itself, is that the case?

When exporting your file to PDF uncheck the Subset Fonts checkbox just below the Embed Fonts Dropdown in the Advanced section and see if that maintains your ligatures correctly when the PDF is opened in Publisher...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Hi

Thanks for your rapid reply. The document I'm trying to edit is a .afpub file which I think is the original file and not the pdf.

I've been manually going through it correcting the curious spelling changes!

18 minutes ago, Rufus Reade said:

The document I'm trying to edit is a .afpub file which I think is the original file and not the pdf.

If you export to PDF and then open the resultant file in APub2, it will open as a *.afpub document. As you have seen, that may differ significantly from the original *.afpub document which was used to create the PDF file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Rufus Reade said:

Thanks for your rapid reply. The document I'm trying to edit is a .afpub file which I think is the original file and not the pdf.

Hi @Rufus Reade,

As @Alfred mentions, you are actually editing the PDF, not your original Publisher file which is why you see the text issues and can no longer place images, use text wrap or change your text boxes.

If you re-open the original Publisher document all should be back to normal...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

One thing I have noticed, on Windows, is that you can open a document, edit it, export it as a PDF, then save and close the application.

When you next go to launch the application via the ‘jump list’ on the taskbar, the top item in the list is the PDF rather than the document itself.

It’s easy to accidentally start to load the PDF this way but you should see a dialog asking for “PDF Options” which should tell you that you are opening a PDF rather than the document.

It can also be confusing on Windows if you have File Explorer configured to not show file extensions. I always recommend having the extensions showing, to decrease the chances of opening the wrong file when they have the same name.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you so much for highlighting this: I'd exported the file to become a pdf but in doing so seem to have lost the original....though my folder shows one pdf and one affinity file. The other query is why the entire document has become corrupted with ti and te being changed!

My work flow was interrupted by outside events which accounts for my delay in thanking you! Much appreciated.

Cheers Rufus

2 minutes ago, Rufus Reade said:

The other query is why the entire document has become corrupted with ti and te being changed!

Did you try exporting your original Affinity file with Subset Fonts disabled in the export settings dialog?

On 3/15/2024 at 1:53 PM, walt.farrell said:

It can also be confusing on Windows if you have File Explorer configured to not show file extensions. I always recommend having the extensions showing, to decrease the chances of opening the wrong file when they have the same name.

This isn’t the first time anyone has questioned Microsoft’s strange decision to hide filename extensions by default, since it makes it easier than it should be for malicious actors to distribute trojans and viruses by giving them names like ‘prettypic.jpg.exe’. With the known extension ‘.exe’ hidden, the above appears in Windows File Explorer as the seemingly innocuous ‘prettypic.jpg’.

Alfred spacer.png

22 hours ago, Hangman said:

Did you try exporting your original Affinity file with Subset Fonts disabled in the export settings dialog?

Thank you Hangman. I can see Subset Fonts box was ticked. So I've now unticked it. My problem will be to find the original document....Your attention to a stranger's problems is much appreciated.

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

This isn’t the first time anyone has questioned Microsoft’s strange decision to hide filename extensions by default, since it makes it easier than it should be for malicious actors to distribute trojans and viruses by giving them names like ‘prettypic.jpg.exe’. With the known extension ‘.exe’ hidden, the above appears in Windows File Explorer as the seemingly innocuous ‘prettypic.jpg’.

Thank you, Alfred. I can see my learning curve is now to get Windows to show filename extensions by default...Thank you for taking an interest in this issue. Cheers R

4 minutes ago, Rufus Reade said:

I can see my learning curve is now to get Windows to show filename extensions by default...

Like many things in life, it’s easy when you know how!

How to Make Windows Show File Extensions

Alfred spacer.png