You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Elvis tribute act flier

pioneer

A5 flier, all done in Designer and Photo apart from the  5 star logo and Chef along with Gary's image. Colour laser printed (20 A5's for double sided Perspex table flier holders)(3 A4's for notice boards) (1 A5 emailed as an attachment to the membership)

flier.png

Edited by pioneer
Clarification

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

‘Tickets on sale behind bar’ sounds rather clandestine! ‘Tickets on sale at the bar’ would suffice.

The word ‘vegan’ is an adjective, like ‘vegetarian’, so it doesn’t need a capital letter as if it referred to an alien being such as a Venusian or a Vulcan. I don’t think you need to say ‘Thank you’ at the end of the note about special dietary requirements.

As discussed previously, if you want to avoid writing ‘Burger and Chips’ or ‘Burger & Chips’ then the letters missing from the word ‘and’ should be replaced by apostrophes, not quotation marks.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Let's give a warm ... Share your work forum welcome ... to ... Gary King ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGR_J-Ka4Y

and welcome also to another Elvis impersonator, Gary Jay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJtJVq7frY

William

Edited by William Overington
Post edited after reading the next post in this thread

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

Let's give a warm ... Share your work forum welcome ... to ... Gary King ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJtJVq7frY

William

That's Gary Jay,  another Elvis impersonator.  Sorry @William Overington

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

Some minor comments from me:

• the green ‘music icon’ just above the scroll has a box around it;
  • it’s probably just me but I don’t like stars that have been ‘squashed’, I prefer them to be rotationally symmetrical;
  • I think the five lines of text at the top of the poster are too ‘busy’ – it’s quite difficult to read with so many colours/effects added;
  • having the “W” overlap the “T” in “SHOWTIME” looks a bit odd to me.

Other than that, it certainly draws the attention.

Elvis sings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSIpBpsQJQ

The song in German with English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIimgUq7ic

Regarding the design of the artwork, did the picture of Gary arrive with the background or is the background your own? The backgrounds are splendid.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think you need to say ‘Thank you’ at the end of the note about special dietary requirements.

As it is, it seems like a polite chef answering someone who has, having seen Burger 'n' Chips advertised, said, somewhat grumpily "Oh, all omnivore stuff, this is 2024, what about Vegans who want to see the show?" and the chef replies.

For the future, could the chef have the scroll headed Supper Choice and then the various choices listed in a column, with Burger  'n' Chips first, then (say, as examples here for explanation purposes - real life version depends how the chips are cooked) Baked Potato & Beans *, Cheese Flan & Chips o, Vegetable Pie & Beans % , Rice & Tomatoes *, with asterisks etc and a legend below with things like

* vegan and no gluten

% vegan

o vegetarian

So that the special diets are presented as mainstream rather than as being a bit offbeat.

I suggest Supper Choice rather than Supper Menu so that it is clear that one does not get one of each item.

William

7 minutes ago, William Overington said:

For the future, could the chef have the scroll headed Supper Choice and then the various choices listed in a column, with Burger  'n' Chips first, then (say, as examples here for explanation purposes - real life version depends how the chips are cooked) Baked Potato & Beans *, Cheese Flan & Chips o, Vegetable Pie & Beans % , Rice & Tomatoes *, with asterisks etc and a legend below with things like

* vegan and no gluten

% vegan

o vegetarian

So that the special diets are presented as mainstream rather than as being a bit offbeat.

This seems rather a lot of information to include on an A5 advertising flyer! I am sure any more detailed information could be included on a poster, where the food is being served, on the day. I think two things should be kept in mind, the food is secondary to the entertainment, not the other way around, and secondly, that the target audience are members of a bowling/social club, and are, in all probability, already aware of the type of catering offered at these events.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Yes, it is a club with a regular membership, though maybe a member may bring a guest.

For someone with a special dietary need, what happens about the food is important.

For this event omnivores are told it is Burger 'n' Chips. How exactly do others find out what is available and request it? It just seems to me that it could be stated up front what is available. Does the special meal need to be pre-booked? Or what?

I also wonder about events where food is bundled in with something else as if everyone is happy to eat when out. For example, a well-known heritage railway advertised an event to drive a diesel locomotive and a meal with other participants on the course was part of the package for which a fee was to be charged. All well-intentioned I expect yet can be a difficult situation for some people.

William

Once again thank you everybody for your comments for which I am most grateful.

@GarryP wrote the green ‘music icon’ just above the scroll has a box around it.  Yes and I only noticed it after you pointed it out.  Is weird though It is a copy and pasted of the black png from the lower down as are all of the other musical notes within the heart shape. All I have done is rescaled them and given them a flood fill. The only way it would of been possible to eradicate this was to mask it out or use the erase tool. I have not been able to replicate this bounding box

That said the best laid plans can sometimes go awry. The tickets where printed at the club by a volunteer and cut up to go on sale this evening. Only for me to receive a call this afternoon to say that page one had been printed 12 times instead of all pages being printed.

This obviously resulted in page one numbers 1-9 was printed 12 times ha ha.

So with the office now being closed with no access to the PC or colour laser until Monday

I created a small box and power duplicated this 100 times onto a sheet of A4 then enter the numbers 1-100.  I printed this out on my B&W laser, my wife then went over the club and with the help of the steward cut these up and stuck them on the ticket number entry in time to be on sale this evening as scheduled.  ( Note...we have a lucky program draw during the break)

9 hours ago, pioneer said:

the green ‘music icon’ just above the scroll has a box around it

There are a number of ways that can happen when using the Flood Fill Tool but I can’t think of any specifics at the moment. It’s got something to do with rescaling, and maybe something else, but the details aren’t coming to me. It’s probably not the best way to recolour that sort of image.

If you have a pixel-based layer, and it’s all greyscale and transparencies, a quicker (better?) way to recolour it might be to use a Recolour Adjustment.

Alternatively, if the image is all black (or all white) and transparencies then you can use a Gradient Map Adjustment instead. (The Recolour Adjustment won’t affect black/white pixels because the recolouring makes black=black and white=white so there’s no difference.)

-----

If you have Publisher you might be able to use the Data Merge facility to create the ticket numbers automatically.
See this thread for one example: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145994-affinity-publisher-simple-datamerge-task/

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, William Overington said:

@pioneer Hi, I just realized, the event was due to take place eight days ago.

How did it go please?

How was the food?

William

It went very well, Gary was not a particularly good Elvis impersonator, but he made up for that in spades as a good all round entertainer.   It was a sell out, just short of 100 guests, had to do a ticket re-run as I had only printed 75.  Food was great (Scampi-n-chips. Cheeseburger-n-chips and Chicken burger-n-chips). Everybody voted for him to be rebooked in September.  Thanks for asking @William Overington

1 hour ago, pioneer said:

Food was great (Scampi-n-chips. Cheeseburger-n-chips and Chicken burger-n-chips).

So, something for pescatarians (although not if they’re keeping kosher!) but nothing for vegetarians. Presumably no one complained.

Alfred spacer.png

On 3/9/2024 at 12:15 AM, Alfred said:

‘Tickets on sale at the bar’ would suffice.

Behind the bar you can buy tickets and at the bar everything the drug labs have to offer. 🤣

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

11 hours ago, pioneer said:

Cheeseburger-n-chips 

What exactly is in a cheeseburger please?

(I know, I know!) What I mean is, what is in it that distinguishes it from just being a lump of cheese?

William

10 hours ago, Alfred said:

So, something for pescatarians (although not if they’re keeping kosher!) but nothing for vegetarians. Presumably no one complained.

The artwork said "including Vegan", so maybe nobody wanted vegan.

William

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

What exactly is in a cheeseburger please?

(I know, I know!) What I mean is, what is in it that distinguishes it from just being a lump of cheese?

If you really knew what is in a cheeseburger, you wouldn’t have posed your follow-up question! A cheeseburger is a meat burger with a slice of processed cheese (slightly melted) on top of the burger.

Alfred spacer.png

By the way: level 6 vegans do not eat anything that casts a shadow. 😉😂

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!