You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffDes 2.3.1. Mac : Locked guides still removeable. Bug ?

I can sort of see the logic behind only locking their positions, but I think most of us would expect locking to mean ‘I want this to stay where I put it’ (which obviously doesn’t happen if you can delete it). It really would be better if ‘Remove all guides’ only removed unlocked guides.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Callum said:

This is currently by design :)

Thanks, @Callum. Perhaps you could log this as an improvement issue.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

I will log an improvement for this however if I'm being honest I feel as though this behaviour is unlikely to change as its consistent with the behaviour of locking objects throughout the app. Its also very difficult to accidentally delete a guide due to you needing to be within the guide manager.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

I will log an improvement for this however if I'm being honest I feel as though this behaviour is unlikely to change as its consistent with the behaviour of locking objects throughout the app.

Since I, for one (possibly one of very few :D), like the current lock behavior in general, an improvement to satisfy both "camps" would be either a preference option between the "Affinity lock" and the often requested "full-on à la Illustrator lock", or introducing a "two-step lock" per object.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Its also very difficult to accidentally delete a guide due to you needing to be within the guide manager.

Agreed.
Besides, guide removal is recorded in the History panel. You can always revert.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

I, for one (possibly one of very few :D), like the current lock behavior in general

I think there’s a pretty widespread expectation that ‘lock’ should mean ‘Leave me alone’. In other words, something like ‘Don’t move, scale, rotate, or recolour me, or change my opacity or any applied effects, and definitely don’t delete me.’ If you want to make changes, there is always the option of unlocking the layer, editing it, and then (unless you’ve deleted it!) locking it again.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you want to make changes, there is always the option of unlocking the layer, editing it, and then (unless you’ve deleted it!) locking it again.

Yeah. Been there done that in Ill-frustrator for almost two decades. So rest assured I'm more than familiar with the drill to have had enough of it… :P 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

There are plenty of UI decisions with which I disagree daily, but if I selected an option titled "remove all guides" and it did not fulfil that promise, I would add that to the feedback list. (And yes, there is a list, although I rarely get around to posting any of them.)

Alfred has made a fair enough point, but in that scenario, it should be titled "remove unlocked guides". As it is now, the current outcome is surely to be expected.

2 hours ago, GripsholmLion said:

Alfred has made a fair enough point, but in that scenario, it should be titled "remove unlocked guides". As it is now, the current outcome is surely to be expected.

A fair enough point, as somebody famous once said!

Alfred spacer.png