You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tri Fold Brochure

pioneer

Latest brochure for our local in door Bowls club. Work mastered in Publisher with the use of APhoto as well

page1a_1.jpg

page1a_2.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

In the top left panel the artwork has

7 pm - 7.30 pm

Does this mean a half-hour show or does it mean "doors open at 7 pm, the show starts at 7.30 pm" ? 

If the latter, a way to express that is

7 pm for 7.30 pm

I remember a local factory where the staff had an annual dinner dance at a local venue one evening each year and the tickets used to have

Carriages at 1 am

as a fancy way to mean that the event finishes at 1 am. 😁

Is this brochure all for one evening, with music, bingo, quiz, food, drink each in a different room or is it that the events are on different occasions?

It is not clear from the artwork.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

what is a Ploughman's Supper

It seems quite likely that it’s simply a Ploughman’s eaten at suppertime instead of lunchtime!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred You are quite correct.  As this was an evening function it seemed only logical to show it as a Supper rather than a lunch.

@William Overington The brochure is to be placed on the tables in the clubhouse as a guide for members and guests to the evening.  the front page of the brochure shows the event.  The back page  gives contact details. page 5 is advertising a forthcoming event and the back page is contact details. pages 2,3 and 4 are all about the evening with three main messages. 1 Order of play.  2 The use of Mobile phones.  3 An explanation of the music quiz.

I take you point about 7pm-7.30 pm, but I am sure by now most members would know this means 7pm for 7.30pm by the number of publicity brochures I have put out over the last few years. Again I take your point about carriages etc but as the event is likely to conclude before the club closes that would not have been appropriate.  Thanks for the feedback anyway Its always welcome.  Cheers John

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

12 minutes ago, pioneer said:

The brochure is to be placed on the tables in the clubhouse as a guide for members and guests to the evening.

That explains why there is no date for the event stated in the artwork.

So I suppose that the same brochure could be used for more than one such event. 

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:57 AM, William Overington said:

no date for the event stated in the artwork

1 hour ago, lepr said:

it states 12th April

As my mother would have said in a suitably jocular tone, “Don’t confuse me with the facts!” :D

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, lepr said:

it states 12th April

yes you are correct but that was for a future event.  The Brochure's primary intention was to be placed on the tables as a guide to the event on the night. (With hopefully a discreet rub about mobile phone usage as there had been comments from members about this before) 

28 minutes ago, pioneer said:

yes you are correct but that was for a future event.  The Brochure's primary intention was to be placed on the tables as a guide to the event on the night. (With hopefully a discreet rub about mobile phone usage as there had been comments from members about this before) 

How did William Overington know the artwork includes no date when you posted an example with a date?

24 minutes ago, lepr said:

How did William Overington know the artwork includes no date when you posted an example with a date?

Because there is no date stated for the event for which the document is about - A BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT.

The 12th April date is on a page that has FORTHCOMING SOCIAL EVENT.

So it turns out that there can be, or are planned to be, more than one BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT before 12th April and the same brochure can be used at each of them has information about the running order of each of those events, and also an advertisement for the event due to take place on 12th April.

(Though no detail as to what is a Ploughman's Supper!) 😁

William

Love the top artwork, right side panel., not sure about the warped image on the left panel, although it's a crafty way to accommodate the text, very sneaky lol!

The bottom artwork left panel, I would change the text in the boxes to white makes it easier to read for biddy brigade lol!
Not sure about the hit and miss use of the bold text and the mixed use of numbers and text numbers, I think you should stick to either either. The underlining looks a bit messy but I kind of get why you have done it. maybe a workaround is to make the header text 11pt and have the kind of bingo and quizzes in the title, like so...
image.png.5d47756cedb65474f1eab3de24e5a619.png

I set text styles for the header text and the description to make it easier to edit en masse, I know its personal taste at the end of the day but just a few idea's for the next one.

Bottom artwork middle panel the No mobiles graphic needs to be a bit smaller to have even margins away from the text top and bottom. The "Thank you" banner needs adjusting slightly on the left side and I would go with a complimentary blue instead of brown background colour. I like the right panel, and the use of the cheesy font which works well.

As for Ploughman's lunch/supper/breakfast/brunch/dinner/arfternoon tea and biccy break but for those obsessed with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploughman's_lunch

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

54 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Because there is no date stated for the event for which the document is about - A BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT.

The 12th April date is on a page that has FORTHCOMING SOCIAL EVENT.

The document is a tri-fold brochure, with details of the Bingo & Quiz Night restricted to just one single-width panel. As you’ve acknowledged, the Forthcoming Social Event panel clearly includes a date. So the artwork as posted here does include a date, and there’s no indication of an alternative generic version being available for use.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The bottom artwork left panel, I would change the text in the boxes to white makes it easier to read for biddy brigade lol!

For me at least, that results in insufficient contrast, especially with the cyan background but also the green. However, a thin black stroke would be enough to make the white text stand out.

11 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Not sure about the hit and miss use of the bold text and the mixed use of numbers and text numbers, I think you should stick to either either.

I strongly agree. If spelling out the numbers, ‘thirty-two’ needs a hyphen, particularly since the text currently reads ‘thirty two fifteen second snippets’. And ‘fifteen-second’ could do with a hyphen, too.

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The underlining looks a bit messy but I kind of get why you have done it. maybe a workaround is to make the header text 11pt and have the kind of bingo and quizzes in the title, like so...

Not just a workaround, but a very neat solution!

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

For me at least, that results in insufficient contrast, especially with the cyan background but also the green. However, a thin black stroke would be enough to make the white text stand out.

I did think it looked a bit washed out but I also thought about changing the cyan to darker blue like RGB 13, 121, 242, or having it green like the other quiz headers.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The document is a tri-fold brochure, with details of the Bingo & Quiz Night restricted to just one single-width panel. As you’ve acknowledged, the Forthcoming Social Event panel clearly includes a date. So the artwork as posted here does include a date, and there’s no indication of an alternative generic version being available for use.

No, details of the BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT take up four panels.

There is no date stated for the BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT event.

William

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

No, details of the BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT take up four panels.

I only see three, but that’s certainly more than one! My apologies, William: I was focusing on the ‘Order of Play’ panel.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

As for Ploughman's lunch/supper/breakfast/brunch/dinner/arfternoon tea and biccy break but for those obsessed with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ploughman's_lunch

I would hope that Ploughman's Supper would include warm chunks of carrot and warm slices of potato in a gluten-free parsley sauce.

Ploughman's dinner perhaps like Ploughman's Supper except for Herbes de Provence instead of Parsley. Mmm. 😁

William

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I only see three, but that’s certainly more than one! My apologies, William: I was focusing on the ‘Order of Play’ panel.

It seems to me that the fourth one is about the food and drink available at the BINGO AND QUIZ NIGHT.

I suppose that that panel could just be adverts for the kitchen and the bar and neither be open.

That brings back memories of a train with a railway carriage labelled BUFFET CAR and having gone there it was shut. 😁

William

Thank you everybody for your comments some of which I may take on board, especially the @firstdefence order of play sheet.  Thank you all once again.  Cheers John

2 hours ago, pioneer said:

Thank you everybody for your comments some of which I may take on board, especially the @firstdefence order of play sheet.  Thank you all once again.  Cheers John

You're most welcome John. Hope the event goes well.