You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was looking at my text, and found a page that looked like the text was doubled up. It looked like the text was somehow looped back on itself or something. Nothing I did, it just showed up that way. I did update the beta today, so it may be connected. What's even stranger is I can't seem to fix it. If I link the text from the frame to the next page, it creates a link, but the text doesn't flow. Also oddly the circle shows up under the triangle in the outgoing flow connection, which doesn't normally happen. I suppose there are multiple text frames, but that doesn't make any sense, as the frames come from the master page.

I applied my standard master to that page and it fixed the loop, and then I was able to connect the frame to the next page, but there are all kinds of odd problems in the following pages, with many footnotes invisible. In some cases the footnote number shows up, but no footnote text. There are some text frames for footnotes that don't seem to have numbers. It's a mess.

I had this recently when adding or removing a single page which is never a great idea. I thought at first that the frame was linked to itself and shared a screenshot here but somebody else corrected and pointed out that there was likely another frame beneath it. The frame on top was linked to the frame on bottom or vice versa. You might have a frame on the master and a frame on the document page that was migrated from the master when inserting the single page. Reviewing the page with the Layers panel open can help sort these things out.

Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi @philipt18,

This is just one example of how this can happen which I'm sure differs from how it happened for you but it demonstrates how you can end up with a seemingly 'looped' overlapping third text frame on the same page based on a Master Page when inserting and moving pages around in a Publisher document...

Unfortunately, there are still many issues with footnotes vanishing, jumping to the wrong position on the page and appearing incorrectly though they have been logged as bugs but are still currently awaiting a fix...

Steps to Reproduce a Third (Seemingly Looped) Overlapping Text Frame

1. Create a single, left-facing page Publisher document using the default Master (or a right-facing page document and change it to left-facing)
  2. Name the Master Page, e.g., 'Main' (though not essential)
  3. Add a text frame to both left and right pages on the 'Main' Master and link them
  4. To make it easier to see what is happening, label both text frames, 'Text Frame Left' and ' Text Frame Right' and apply a tag colour (though not essential)
  5. Insert two pages before Page 1
  6. Apply the Main Master to both Page 1 and Page 2 individually so they show 'Main - Left' and 'Main - Right' rather than 'Main - 2 Pages'
  7. Move Page 3 in-between Pages 1 and 2
  8. Change the setup to make the document right-facing
  9. Delete Pages 2 and 3 (though not essential)
  10. The result is three text frames on Page 1, initially seemingly circularly linked, though in practice there is a second left-facing text frame sitting directly on top of the right-facing text frame

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @philipt18

Did you also get your document into the same state of having overlapping text frames, by moving a single page on a document with facing pages? If so then I can replicate that and will get it logged up. 

5 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @philipt18

Did you also get your document into the same state of having overlapping text frames, by moving a single page on a document with facing pages? If so then I can replicate that and will get it logged up. 

I have no idea how my instance occurred. I just found it there as I was reviewing my book.