You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.4.0.2240 Mouse scroll does not work in many options of text styles on MacOS

This is not a "New Bug and Issue in the Betas".
In fact, this behavior was already present in v1.
Whether it's a "bug" or "by design", I don't know.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

52 minutes ago, loukash said:

Whether it's a "bug" or "by design", I don't know.

This is a bug, because everything works very well in Windows.
And it takes five minutes to fix this bug. All they have to do is copy and paste a part of the working code. The main thing is the desire to fix it.

Ah, it's not a new deficiency. It's an old deficiency. Then it is interesting if in the "by design" scenario, if we ask what considerations were behind not implementing it, we get in the answer "We didn't think about that".

Either that's the answer, or it's a small task with a time commitment that Serif will never subsequently prioritise. Probably a mixture. That's what we get with a small team and a cheap product - you run the risk of minor improvements ending up at the bottom of the backlog - if they make it to the backlog at all.

It's a pain in the arse when it's missing, because it really is easier and quicker to use than the click-click-click or value entry of the 90s.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

• Staff
On 1/20/2024 at 12:08 PM, anto said:

This is a bug, because everything works very well in Windows.
And it takes five minutes to fix this bug. All they have to do is copy and paste a part of the working code. The main thing is the desire to fix it.

Thanks Anto,

I'll get this passed over to development. However please understand that it is not as simple as saying it takes 'five minutes' to fix this bug, and that we can copy and paste the working code. The frontend for macOS and Window uses two different programming languages and both use functions unique to that OS.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Also instead of creating a new threads about an issue you have already reported, please just post a comment in your original thread saying that it still affects 2.4.

Thank you, but I can't find anything in my account. That's why I asked for a list of all the errors in one place. It's very hard to find on the forum. Moreover, I call it differently every time.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

However please understand that it is not as simple as saying it take 'five minutes' to fix this bug, and that we can copy and paste the working code.

I meant that there is a function below in the same window that works. And copy the code from there, not from windows, replacing the corresponding value.

1 hour ago, anto said:

Thank you, but I can't find anything in my account. That's why I asked for a list of all the errors in one place. It's very hard to find on the forum. Moreover, I call it differently every time.

Perhaps (as suggested elsewhere) you should bookmark your bug-report threads, or keep your own list off the bug tags that are assigned, and the URLs for searching them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps (as suggested elsewhere) you should bookmark your bug-report threads, or keep your own list off the bug tags that are assigned, and the URLs for searching them.

The best thing would be if I didn't even have time to write them down and they were corrected so quickly. But this is from the realm of fantasy.

9 minutes ago, anto said:

The best thing would be if I didn't even have time to write them down

No one points a gun at your head telling you to report bugs. It's entirely voluntary.
I, for one, don't bother to report every minor bug that I encounter either, as long as it doesn't totally break my workflow. My experience after 8 years on these forums is that eventually someone else will report it anyway. I might then simply chime in and confirm the findings with my own observations.
It's about setting personal priorities.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

I, for one, don't bother to report every minor bug that I encounter either, as long as it doesn't totally break my workflow.

I only report bugs that disrupt my workflow. I don't test anything on purpose. I just open the project and work in the new version (if there is one). And I've already written in one of the posts: there's a minor bug in one place, and another minor bug in another, and another minor bug in another. And it turns out that the program is buggy.

15 minutes ago, anto said:

I only report bugs that disrupt my workflow.

And that's very noble. :) 
But the actual act of reporting them disrupts your workflow even more, and obviously it also makes you more angry.
My point about "personal priorities" is that sometimes minor annoyances are not worth it if you want to stay focused on the actual task.

1 hour ago, anto said:

I don't test anything on purpose.

Generally, you should only be part of the beta test programme to purposely test things.

The beta is not there for ‘early access’ to new functionalities, it’s there for us to help Serif test the software and find bugs.

The whole point of using the beta is to find bugs and report them to Serif; that’s what the ‘workflow’ of using the beta is supposed to be:

• Test;
  • Find Bug;
  • Report Bug;
  • repeat...

If you’re not using the beta for testing then you’re probably using it for the wrong purpose.

Remember, some changes to the beta software might not make it through to the next commercial release. 
In these cases you may find that some of your files which were modified with the beta could be incompatible with future releases of the software and therefore you might not be able to open them ever again.

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Generally, you should only be part of the beta test programme to purposely test things.

Everyone tests as they see fit. I find enough bugs that I think I'm doing everything right, even if I'm not following the rules.

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The beta is not there for ‘early access’ to new functionalities, it’s there for us to help Serif test the software and find bugs.

I am aware of this and I know it. To test a program, you need to give it a load, and to save time that I don't have, I test like this. Right now, I'm testing it by laying out a newspaper. And compared to the Publisher 2.3.0 beta, which I described as the worst thing I've ever seen, this beta is much more advanced. There are some bugs that affect the workflow, but this is a big step forward. And it's good to see.

28 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In these cases you may find that some of your files which were modified with the beta could be incompatible with future releases of the software and therefore you might not be able to open them ever again.

I've never encountered such a thing with future programs, but with past ones, yes.