You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can adjustment layers be saved as "content"? - Is it a bug ?

Hi,

I wanted to save a preset of a contour curve in order to be able to reuse it later (in the proposed example I exaggerated the settings so that the problem is visible :) )

So I selected the adjustment layer then in the "content" panel I pressed "add from selection".

I then observed that the preset was indeed saved (even if no icon was assigned to it)

I then wanted to use it and I noticed that the settings were there, but that the setting was not applied.
Worse, my image had disappeared (I found it by seting inactive the adjustment layer)

Can adjustment layers be saved as "content"?

What was my mistake?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Best reguards.

Capture-1.png

Capture-2.png

Capture-3.png

Capture-4.png

Capture-5.png

If you are using Photo (you don’t say which Affinity application you are using but I can see Photo’s Layers Panel in your screen-grab) the settings for Adjustment Layers can be saved as Presets which can then be applied via the Adjustment Panel – see attached image.

This is possibly more convenient than saving them as Assets.

(I don’t know what has gone wrong with what you are doing – such small screen-grabs are often not as useful as full-screen screenshots as we are missing a lot of potentially useful information.)

image.thumb.png.0abe2158e4d5c0bc207bb84d4bce72e8.png

You’re welcome.

In V2.3.0 I’ve just tried making a Gradient Map Adjustment into an Asset, deleting the Gradient Map Layer, and then dragging the Asset onto an image but it doesn’t seem to be getting applied as it does in V1.10.6 – see video, V1.10.6 first then V2.3.0.

I think you might have found a bug, unless I’m missing something important (I don’t tend to use Assets much).

It seems not to work any more.

When I tried your approach, @GarryP, the Asset produced an adjustment that gave me what looks to be an empty pixel layer. If I click on the thumbnail it has the proper Gradient Map Adjustment settings, but applying it gives a checkerboard rather than a modified image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

like it does in Photo V1.10.6.

There also were threads for V1 about adjustment Assets not working if placed to a document. For instance in APhoto in particular, … or if grouped, … or if transferred between apps via copy/paste.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

AF Photo. I've been spending a frustrating couple of days basically trying to create and save adjustment layers as a preset. After searching the forum for answers to no avail I  uninstalled and downloaded latest version Photo 2.3  but no difference. Can I take it from this that it is a recognised bug that will get fixed very soon and there is no point me keep trying to save an adjusment as a preset?

11 minutes ago, jeffers said:

trying to create and save adjustment layers as a preset.

The bug mentioned above concerns assets of adjustments, not adjustment presets in general.

What kind of "preset" do you try to create? And what step does not work for you / what search terms did you use in the forum?
For a preset created with the button "Add Preset" you need to use the Adjustment panel to get your preset displayed.

adjustmentpreset.jpg.e61daffd37261f87555f15a30f41aba6.jpg

OK your reply has solved my problem!

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

For a preset created with the button "Add Preset" you need to use the Adjustment panel to get your preset displayed.

for some reason I was not displaying the adjustment panel and looking from the adustment layer button / or the layer > new adjustment layer menu from the top menu bar.

What a numpty! thanks for the nudge to the right place

8 minutes ago, jeffers said:

What a numpty! thanks for the nudge to the right place

Just curious: what made you posting your issue/question to this specific thread … where actually @GarryP gave the solving info in the first response?

Thanks for clarifying … though it's a bit odd since this linked post does not mention "preset" but "assets" instead. In particular if a search result doesn't contain relevant keywords it is worth to read the thread before adding a new question. 😉