You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo messing up printing white paper

Hello. We have a problem when printing graphics exported from Affinity Photo. (Printing with a Brother MFC-L3780CDW)

When we create graphics in Affinity Photo, weird backgrounds print on the white paper, and you can clearly see them in the images I’ve provided.

This only happens when we print things made with Affinity Photo. We may print anything unobstructed by the weird backgrounds if it hasn’t been touched by Affinity Photo.

This happens with a transparent background, and a white background. With JPG and PNG exports.

What is going on? Is there some setting that needs changed or something?

We are using Affinity Photo version 1.10.8 on a fully updated (macOS Sonoma 14.2.1) 13” MacBook Pro.

contrast1.jpg

contrast2.jpg

contrast3.jpg

contrast4.jpg

1 hour ago, Christopher O'Toole said:

This happens with a transparent background, and a white background. With JPG and PNG exports.

What is going on? Is there some setting that needs changed or something?

We are using Affinity Photo version 1.10.8 on a fully updated (macOS Sonoma 14.2.1) 13” MacBook Pro.

Hard to tell without seeing an according APh document from which this happens then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, Christopher O'Toole said:

What is an API document and how do I get it?

You were asked for an APh document, not an "API" one. If you place the cursor over that underlined abbreviation, a popup will tell you it means Affinity Photo, so what is requested is an AP native file format document, one ending with the .afphoto extension.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Make the 'pardon our dust' layer active
Go to menu:  Window > Channels
The problem becomes clearly visible when you successively click on the red, green and blue composite channels

Composite channels.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Don't use screengrabs to create labels, use properly formatted text and good quality graphics. For each of the products you have you can make a reusable asset that contains the product name, ingredients, website address and logo, once you have all of the assets it's simply a drag and drop process to create a sheet of labels, you can even have ready made label sheets ready to print, you can copy and paste the text from the website into Affinity so all you have to do is format the text.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

Make the 'pardon our dust' layer active
Go to menu:  Window > Channels
The problem becomes clearly visible when you successively click on the red, green and blue composite channels

Composite channels.jpg

Thank you! How do I make that layer active?

When I right click on it, there is no way to make it active.

And there is no way to hit a button and do it (that I see at least).

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 8.21.20 AM.png

You simply turn it off by clicking on the eye to the right.

Screenshot2023-12-28at14_43_25.thumb.png.18c3e088765495aa72ba73a563a44f7e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

@Christopher O'Toole, for more about using the Channels panel, refer to its help topic. This link is to the V2 version but the options & settings are the same for V1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Christopher O'Toole said:

Thank you! How do I make that layer active?

just click on the thumbnail of that layer > turns bleu = active

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

The real problem is in the alpha channel of "pardon our dust". As I said before, its pixels which should have alpha 0 actually have alpha 2, and so ink is printed faintly where the paper should be clean.

Here is the document with an additional Levels adjustment which reduces alpha from 2 to 0 (other solutions are available), and it should print OK: problem_1 adjusted.afphoto

12 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Screenshot2023-12-28at14_43_25.thumb.png.18c3e088765495aa72ba73a563a44f7e.png

Thank you. Every time we’ve printed the failed files, the alpha channel is enabled.

I honestly don’t understand most of what is being said in this chat, I’m not that familiar with Affinity Photo.

Every time someone tries to tell me how to fix it, I can’t seem to replicate what they’re saying on my end...

7 hours ago, Christopher O'Toole said:

I honestly don’t understand most of what is being said in this chat, I’m not that familiar with Affinity Photo.

Every time someone tries to tell me how to fix it, I can’t seem to replicate what they’re saying on my end...

Then you should make yourself more familiar with APh, maybe by reading through it's online help and/or looking through some video tutorials about it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, Christopher O'Toole said:

Thank you. Every time we’ve printed the failed files, the alpha channel is enabled.

@lepr is giving potential solutions so have you tried printing out the example document lepr has posted?

To demonstrate what lepr has done watch the video below, in it I demonstrate how the area that is causing problems isn't white, it's off white as shown by readings from the colour eyedropper sampling. lepr has corrected that by using a levels adjustment filter set to the alpha channel and then black adjusted by 2% to whiten the off white areas that show up when printed as pale discolouration.

• Q. Which of the Affinity Apps do you have?
  • Q. How do you make these labels?