You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to correct the tilt in the image with Photo 2.3

I use a Canon T7i camera with the 10-18 wide angle lens.  I use Photo 2.3 for post processing. I shoot RAW. Some of my recent images of buildings have a z-axis tilt which I cannot correct even if I use the Lens correction with Vertical option at -100%. Is there a way to correct this tilt? I have attached a JPG image.

IMG_7036.jpg

Wow, you shot that way too close for that Ultra-Wide Angle Lens. I shoot with about the equivalent Tokina, 11-18mm. Unless you have a telehandler, or real, real tall ladder to get the lens squared-off with the building, you're not going to easily get rid of all that distortion. To get shots of tall buildings you need to use a Tilt-Shift lens. 

FWIW, I did try to see if AP could correct it, and gave up after about 30 mins. In fact I don't think PS could do anything with this.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Photo doesn't do this well. DxO View Point plug in is probably what you want. Its not cheap though. It has a free trial. I use Capture One a bit and it has some keystoning etc that's a bit better than Photo. PS There are lense corrections in the Photo Develop Persona that may also help.

building.jpg

Two passes through lens correction in Develop Persona

Then image stretched to match original, height

You would need to crop, inPaint or clone missing bits

tall.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The problem with Affinitys perspective is there is no reflected perspective, i.e. you cannot hold a modifier key and move left and right nodes away from nor towards each other, so when you adjust perspective on say the left you have to over compensate on the left side because when you adjust the right side it will pull back on the left, it will also compress the image making it shorter.

The best when in affinity is to use guides for height and verticals and just keep on tweaking until it look good.

The image below was adjusted using the Live Perspective Filter, the image was adjusted for height using guides preset before any adjustments were made because of how the filter compresses the image. The elegance with the Live Perspective Filter is it's non-destructive and can be tweaked easily until you are happy with the result.

image.png.df5324a6472fefc94f87e83daa068d54.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You might also want to adjust the horizontal perspective on the tower front as that is slightly warped. see image below for visual reference.

Screenshot2023-12-21at09_35_39.png.ad02f711177af50a802cd98eb91e8329.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

With all that fiddling around, the building still looks like it is falling away.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the perspective and Mesh warp options and see how far I can correct it.

I felt that if Serif provides a z-plane correction capability, it will be great. Maybe, I am oversimplifying it. I took several images of buildings in Europe this summer and I see this as a problem. When you capture landscapes, it is not an issue.

Hindsight: Take panoramic shots and stick together then straighten verticals and any square-on horizontals and you will be able to keep the subject building intact when cropping, I'd go with 5 portrait shots. 

For anyone that wants to know, this building is The Basilica, a stunning building inside.

https://www.istockphoto.com/fr/photo/labside-et-les-coupoles-de-la-basilique-santa-maria-maggiore-à-rome-gm1063890534-284443126?phrase=basilique%2Bsainte%2Bmarie%2Bmajeure&searchscope=image%2Cfilm