You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] affinity publisher wtf ? thanks to Lightroom

I think if you just want to create a photobook, you may be better off with specialized software for that like the ones you already mentioned.

It's like using autocad to draw a stickman when all you need is mspaint.exe

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

If only there existed an Interwebz search engine where one could safely search Teh Interwebz for things one would like to know and learn… O.o

Oh, wait!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=affinity+publisher+photobook+template

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

21 hours ago, loukash said:

Eventually I figured it all out

It's not impossible. In fact, if you have a lot of time to spare, you can dive-in fairly deeply just by trial and error. Some people are better at it than others. In either case, documentation and/or guidance help a lot to get things done a) more quickly and b) more correctly, because more or less every professional DTP application is that kind of software where you can easily figure out one way to achieve something while another one would have been even better.

2 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

if you have a lot of time to spare, you can dive-in fairly deeply just by trial and error.

That's true. Back in the day I used to be part of an independent culture venue collective that was, among others, publishing a monthly "underground" magazine. We had a Macintosh IIsi in the office, and so I used to spend many days and nights in there experimenting, teaching myself desktop publishing without too much "pressure" because we were… "underground". While otherwise my regular design work was still mostly based on "old school" analog techniques which we learned at the art school and thus it was my safe routine. The venue even had (possibly still has) its own print house with a small offset machine, so I would also work closely with the lady who did the magazine printing. It was fun times. Early 1990s… :) But for some unknown reason, I didn't archive my original layout files, only a few flyers and posters. Possible a cost issue: I was tight on budget and floppies were still costly…
The magazine still exists, by the way, and their current logo is obviously still based on my original logotype which I then made with PageMaker 4. Go figure.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

18 hours ago, Catshill said:

I think middle aged is a better description.

Arh, well, you'd better save that calculation flexibility for compliments to your fellow human beings. 🙂

4 years, 5 months, 19 days. Far from middle-aged in terms of functionality and age, but admittedly not preteen either. 🙂

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

21 hours ago, cirkē said:

problem solved 

id it  with blurb in Lightroom in 10 minutes 

Glad you found a solution, but don't write Affinity Publisher off. Just a thought but you invested in Affinity, so why not invest some time learning it while you use other solutions.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Glad you found a solution, but don't write Affinity Publisher off. Just a thought but you invested in Affinity, so why not invest some time learning it while you use other solutions.

I need a book or a calendar one time to time I am not an editor, a software needs templates for using it directly and easily And advanced feature for pro or advanced users

Affinity Publisher is not there at all ,  I'm going back to Adobe after having been in the very first affinity users  ... and Affinity has no Lightroom replacement

i stop following this topic

thanks to all

1 minute ago, cirkē said:

I need a book or a calendar one time to time I am not an editor, a software needs templates for using it directly and easily And advanced feature for pro or advanced users

Affinity Publisher is not there at all ,  I'm going back to Adobe after having been in the very first affinity users  ... and Affinity has no Lightroom replacement

Well, when Affinity Publisher has more improvements and maybe some templates you can use, it will be nice to have you back, enjoy your Adobing lol!

There is a resources section to this forum that users generously add to and that is searchable, take a look there from time to time, you might find something you can use.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/11-resources/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions