You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opacity doesn't work if an outline has been added.

Normally, adjusting the opacity makes an object brighter:

1.png

2.png

If adding a black outline:

Screenshot2023-12-04at09_35_58.png.a9144f72a1f1e3479586046d1f0d0cae.png

And adjusting the opacity, the object now gets darker:

3.png

4.png

Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Morten_M
more clear

I believe that this is expected behaviour but I don’t have a good explanation for it.

I am assuming that the layer you are working with is a vector layer.

See attached video.

When you have no Outline Effect applied, and you change the Opacity of the Fill, the design will become lighter because, in this case, you are letting more of the white background ‘through’ the design – first part of video.

The Outline Effect is a pixel-based effect which looks for (partially) transparent pixels ‘within/around’ the design and fills those pixels with the required colour – second part of video.

When you now change the Opacity of the Fill, the Outline Effect is finding non-opaque pixels ‘within/around’ the design and trying to give them a colour, hence the ‘mixing’ of the design colour and the outline colour (yellow and blue giving green) – third part of video.

Like I said above, it’s not a good explanation but it’s how I understand it. (Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.)

I can’t say if it’s a bug or not; that depends on what the developers expect to happen.

Personally I think it’s a bit odd, but if that’s how the Outline Effect is supposed to work together with a non-100%-Opacity Fill then that’s okay with me. Maybe there’s a good reason for it that I don’t know about.

It is a historic bug that outline color impact the fill area. It becomes visible when opacity is reduced below 100%.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I use the Outline FX very rarely, but I have a feeling it needs an annual check-up. I've often seen it work very unusually with other effects, so I instinctively don't use it, and only on its own, and I wouldn't be surprised if outline also works awkwardly with transparency.

I haven't bothered to report bugs or anything else on it here, there has been so much else.

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

10 hours ago, Morten_M said:

Is this expected behaviour?

Definitely smells like a putrid bug.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 12/4/2023 at 7:29 AM, Bit Arts said:

I use the Outline FX very rarely, but I have a feeling it needs an annual check-up. I've often seen it work very unusually with other effects, so I instinctively don't use it, and only on its own, and I wouldn't be surprised if outline also works awkwardly with transparency.

I haven't bothered to report bugs or anything else on it here, there has been so much else.

Same. It's one of those things I use more sparingly because the effect hasn't always been aesthetically pleasing.