You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

transfer all data from my Mojave iMac to the Mini M2?

• Staff

Hi Kat,

Unfortunately the V2 apps don't support Mojave however you could still purchase at the sale price but hold off on installing V2 until your new Mac mini arrives :)

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I know v2 doesn't work on Mojave.

What I wanted to know is whether I can order & download, and drag into Applications on my iMac – then transfer to Mini rather than upload to Mini when I get it.

The Mini will require a lot of setup and I don't know what will be working, but would love to have Affinity V2 in Applications ready to go.

We all know how challenging getting a new computer up to snuff is.

18 minutes ago, kat said:

What I wanted to know is whether I can order & download, and drag into Applications on my iMac – then transfer to Mini rather than upload to Mini when I get it.

The Mini will require a lot of setup and I don't know what will be working, but would love to have Affinity V2 in Applications ready to go.

You should be able to download* the .DMG installer files onto your iMac, you won't be able to install them though due to the OS. Then you just transfer The DMG from the iMac to the Mini when you are ready to install them onto the Mini in a week or month from now.

I have done similar things with other software over the years, only works with DMG or Zip or Packaged Installers.

* DMG installers are only available from the Serif/Affinity, store not the Mac App Store.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

You should be able to download* the .DMG installer files onto your iMac, you won't be able to install them though due to the OS. Then you just transfer The DMG from the iMac to the Mini when you are ready to install them onto the Mini in a week or month from now.

I have done similar things with other software over the years, only works with DMG or Zip or Packaged Installers.

* DMG installers are only available from the Serif/Affinity, store not the Mac App Store.

Super! I had planned to get from Serif/Affinity. Last time I got Publisher (only) from Mac App Store. It was a pain tracking all the upgrades and downloads.

26 minutes ago, kat said:

I had planned to get from Serif/Affinity. Last time I got Publisher (only) from Mac App Store. It was a pain tracking all the upgrades and downloads.

Since you mention in your initial post an upgrade link + upgrade price: Apparently the upgrade option requires a previous purchase from the Serif Store then.

"Serif do not know anything about Apple Mac App Store customers. Those sales are Apples sales. We are not informed about them so have no pre-existing accounts for any Mac sales."  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/50091-affinity-account/&do=findComment&comment=251562

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, kat said:

Can I buy and download  the upgrade to V2 to iMac and transfer it with the rest of my iMac data to Mac Mini M2 Ventura?

On my old MacBook, I have actually bought and installed v2 while running El Capitan as my main partition. I only couldn't launch the apps unless I booted the Mac from the Catalina partition.

2 hours ago, kat said:

An excellent offer, indeed!

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Apparently the upgrade option requires a previous purchase from the Serif Store then.

I don't think so:

To determine your entitlement for the upgrade offer, you’ll be asked to sign in to your Affinity account (if you haven’t already) so that a validation check can be made.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 hours ago, kat said:

People will disagree with me, but I recommend using Migration Assistant to set up your new Mac.

(Argument against it: you can transfer problems; argument for: I'd still be setting up my current machine 15 months later without it, plus you can always just wipe your drive and set it up the long way if you have problems.)

However, I would absolutely not have it transfer programs - including Affinity and any plug-ins. You want to install them manually, especially when you're going from Intel to Apple Silicon.

Your preferences, documents, pictures, email, network settings, user accounts, passwords, bookmarks, monitor arrangements... all that stuff is what I wouldn't want to have to set up from scratch.