You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How avoid this with vector shapes in Affinity Photo ? (same sized rectangle in 210x297mm document)

How avoid this with vector shapes in Affinity Photo ? (same sized rectangle in 210x297mm document) i have for

example 210x297mm document where i have rectangle shape 210x297mm what is top corner botton right corner look this.

i can do of single coloured vector shapes bigger (ones what fill whole page suitable way) but in for example gradients (also bitmap fills) mess gradient balance.(example uses only single coloured make things easier seen i think) ? why not work in Designer. becouse dont have all bitmap related tools what i also use. this is magnifaction becouse i really want most people can see what i mean. i defined document and rectangle size in mm becouse i think printing. when i use pixel values i can avoid it but is hard otherways. i can also define image size in px and convert it to mm. when i exact document sized rectangle no problem but i think even current way 210x297mm sized object should be such sized. of course i know there is no half pixels and such this looks somekind antialias or similar what i want avoid. i generally feel i cannot avoid this expect doing document what size is step of single pixel and convert it mm unit after this. even leads different sized images than originally wanted.

dokument_size_rectange.png

It looks like your Rectangle layer is not aligned to the pixels in the document.

Look at the Transform Panel when the layer is selected.

If the numbers are not all integers then you will need to make them integers.

If they are all integers, go to “Settings → User Interface” and set, in this case, the decimal places for Pixels to 6, then look at the Transform Panel again and check the numbers.

As before, if the numbers are not all integers then you will need to make them integers.

If that doesn’t fix it, please give us a screenshot showing the rectangle layer selected, and the Transform Panel, and the “Settings → User Interface” dialog at the same time.

Yes, it’s perhaps a little odd that?
Quick “fix” is to open document setup, make sure resample is unselected, but otherwise don’t change anything, and just hit resize.
You should now get solid blue right to the edges when zooming in.
It is still worth noting though that at normal viewing size that initial “antialiased” edge would be invisible.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

2 hours ago, MxHeppa said:

How avoid this with vector shapes in Affinity Photo ?

Do not use page/artboard/canvas sizes with integer mm values because mm will barely ever match pixel as integer. In fact, you can only make them match if you'd be using non-integer DPI values which is – as far as I recall and likely have already reported it as a bug – broken as of v2.

E.g. at 300 DPI, to have an ±A4 page with integer pixel dimensions 2480×3508, the mm dimensions must be 209.973333×297.010667. That's precise enough for literally any use. And that's also what you'll get if you create an "A4" canvas at 300 DPI in Photoshop
But don't worry much, Affinity's New Document dialog can do all the necessary math you need. Just use Pixels as your initial document units and make sure to round the dimensions up or down to integer.

Caveat:
Due to a bug in the "absolute pixel grid" concept, if you're using bleed e.g. in Publisher, its initial dimensions also must be integer pixel, e.g. 36 px which is 3.048 mm at 300 DPI. This value must be defined while creating the document, since the potential offset that causes the antialiasing cannot be fixed later. Again, there should be several posts or threads (with my contributions) somewhere in the forum on this very topic.

2 hours ago, MxHeppa said:

why not work in Designer. becouse dont have all bitmap related tools what i also use

You can always seamlessly switch back and forth via File → Edit in Designer/Photo as you see fit.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 11/19/2023 at 4:12 PM, loukash said:

Do not use page/artboard/canvas sizes with integer mm values because mm will barely ever match pixel as integer. In fact, you can only make them match if you'd be using non-integer DPI values which is – as far as I recall and likely have already reported it as a bug – broken as of v2.

E.g. at 300 DPI, to have an ±A4 page with integer pixel dimensions 2480×3508, the mm dimensions must be 209.973333×297.010667. That's precise enough for literally any use. And that's also what you'll get if you create an "A4" canvas at 300 DPI in Photoshop
But don't worry much, Affinity's New Document dialog can do all the necessary math you need. Just use Pixels as your initial document units and make sure to round the dimensions up or down to integer.

Caveat:
Due to a bug in the "absolute pixel grid" concept, if you're using bleed e.g. in Publisher, its initial dimensions also must be integer pixel, e.g. 36 px which is 3.048 mm at 300 DPI. This value must be defined while creating the document, since the potential offset that causes the antialiasing cannot be fixed later. Again, there should be several posts or threads (with my contributions) somewhere in the forum on this very topic.

You can always seamlessly switch back and forth via File → Edit in Designer/Photo as you see fit.

program change slows creative flow. best solution is set document size in mm convert unit px make rounding and convert back to mm i feel. i hope bit wrong sized documnetns work some printing services as well becouse they have automatic basic checking pdf can be problem. likely test one of them next year.

• 2 weeks later...

i made quick tested at least rounded 210x148mm sized postcard i rounded docuement values (near bigger px value). material uploads fine at least no errors at least automatic checking (likely not need human checking now). makes hope others are same level accurately needed.(not 100% becouse is impossible do these apps even photoshop). at least when i have about 1millimeter too much i each sides i getted error i thinked bleeds are 3mm but they are only 2mm in this company this kind product. at least in finland cutting precision this kind products is 1mm what i think (simply printed products). this company is Germany (looked becouse prices and i see direclty prices their page also gold/silver inks in postcards etc). hard wait when i test company likely lot (books,postcards etc). to me is easier round all to bigger value even rounding rules say opposite. enter size in mm and converted px and round them. and converted back to mm. get easier think things postions. all very likely going end well. i mean part depends Affintiy Apps and me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 2:38 PM, markw said:

Yes, it’s perhaps a little odd that?
Quick “fix” is to open document setup, make sure resample is unselected, but otherwise don’t change anything, and just hit resize.
You should now get solid blue right to the edges when zooming in.
It is still worth noting though that at normal viewing size that initial “antialiased” edge would be invisible.

resize document in Photo? using original values and without selecting resample does not change how document looks (tested document where all is vectors still). and this integer values work only px not other units? why if you know. i found only px values does nice results. then how i can convert needed dimensions to px. of course these tiny differencies is most uses no problem. no i try do book cover template (i can of course fill their own book template but does decimal values in px what is bad). luckily started unertand element lines what need taken account in cover design. 

55 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

... and this integer values work only px not other units? why if you know. i found only px values does nice results. then how i can convert needed dimensions to px. ...

• Field input

Converting field input

Upon entering a field value using measurement units that do not match those used by the field, this will automatically be recalculated and converted to the unit type used in the field. For example, entering a value of 9 cm to a field that uses mm will result in a value of 90 mm.

• Settings or Preferences (User interface Options -> Decimal Places for Unit Types)

Decimal Places for Unit Types—controls the number of decimal places allowable for each document measurement unit and degree readouts.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, MxHeppa said:

resize document in Photo?

Yes, I used Affinity Photo as per your first screenshot where you are using it for your example.
Here is a short recording of what I get following my “Quick Fix” idea.
Since suggesting that though, I found that if you just slightly extend the background, that also makes the white edge (which is approximately 1/40th of a millimetre) go away. (Second half of recording)

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M