You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.2.1 Artefacts after restore after tray

Hello, @anto,

(It's best to use a video format that's compatible with that of the forum.) Could you describe the problem?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• Staff

We are having trouble reproducing this from scratch. Can you share the document? 

Is your system running low on resources, perhaps due to other apps being open and do you have plenty of disk space left?

Finally, is your machine running Metal at all? 

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Is your system running low on resources, perhaps due to other apps being open and do you have plenty of disk space left?

Finally, is your machine running Metal at all? 

103Gb is free from 250Gb

Memory 16Gb, Core i7

I use OpenGL in Publisher

• Staff

Thanks. If you can reproduce this on a blank document, we will need to do some further investigating on a variety of hardware. Unfortunately, the machine I have access to is not showing me the same results as seen in your video. I have set a reminder to test this further on additional hardware in the office and will get back to you in due course.

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If you can reproduce this on a blank document, we will need to do some further investigating on a variety of hardware.

The first video I posted was played on a blank document. I was working on a newspaper and noticed that the quotation marks were not working. So I opened a new document and started assigning shorcuts. Then I switched to the forum to post. And when I opened Publisher, I got this picture.

Another problem sometimes is that if you have another program open on top of the one you're working in, and you minimize that other program, you get the same thing. This is shown in another video. (Publisher was working under. I minimized firefox)

1 minute ago, Chris B said:

Is this only when you have an external monitor connected? If you unplug said monitor, does it still occur? I've been trying for the last 30 minutes on a MacBook Pro and an iMac with no luck whatsoever. 

When I disconnect the external monitor, I get another problem that I have already reported. I get the artifacts when the monitor is connected.

I just updated to beta 2.3 and got the following picture.
The external monitor was disconnected during the update. All three programs opened "off" the Mac's monitor, meaning I only got the ribbon at the top. When I pressed Window--> Zoom, I got a small square with the program, and when I expanded it, I got artifacts again.
There was no external monitor.
Beta 2.3

Of the three programs, only Photo showed artifacts when updating

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi anto,

I'm afraid not. I kept my Mac Air connected to an external display as promised but I haven't seen your issue a single time. Things I've tried:

• Connecting the display (non-mirrored) and removing it with apps on the external display
  • Connecting the display (mirrored) and removing it with all apps on the external display
  • Tried with and without Metal
  • I've tried combinations of Window > Zoom with and without the display attached
  • Updated the apps with and without the display connected but I've done this for apps opening on external display and apps opening on native machine

I am genuinely stumped. I cannot see any other reports from other users. I'm not sure if you've come across any if perhaps you've tried researching this? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, Chris B said:

we've not been able to reproduce it :( 

I can reproduce it in V1 with an external monitor (screen 2),
starting with all UI items on screen 1 and empty screen 2:

1. Activate in menu "Window" > "Separated Mode" -> the document window gets downsized but remains on screen 1 (boot screen).

2. Move the main window to screen 2 (without resizing the window).

3. Deactivate "Separated Mode" -> the main window gets auto-moved back to screen 1 + gets auto-upscaled to its initial size. (I have saved Studio Presets for both modes)

-> Now only parts of the pages show white while the rest shows the background / pastboard gray. The size of white background seems to be related to the recent window size on screen 2. -> Moving the pages around (e.g. via Pan/Hand Tool) let you experience the limited size of the white area.

-> Also after deactivating "Separated Mode": The panels disappeared and can't get displayed with the commands for toggle or show/hide but appear only after selecting the according Studio Preset.

a. After activating Separated Mode + manually moving the main / document window from screen 1 to screen 2:

a.s1SepMode.thumb.jpg.541f4af678108f64d98f06bafa28d796.jpg . a.s2SepMode.thumb.jpg.b8203ffa4a164477187396010e18ea3f.jpg

b. After deactivating Separated Mode: (main window got auto-moved to screen 1 and got upscaled to its initial size (to fill screen) while panels disappeared:

b.s1normalMode.thumb.jpg.6dee773134864c51cde766fe464373cc.jpg . b.s2normalMode.thumb.jpg.320d2bb0fcf83ed75554a1455c9f12d1.jpg

c. Screen 1, pages moved with Pan/Hand Tool:

c.s1normalMode.thumb.jpg.9eac47d38d7a876505eca9ad561b8a87.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1