You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2: measuring tools as a permanent information

Hello Affinty team,
I would like to share an idea that would add a very ingenious possibility to Affinity Publisher 2. If the measuring tool for measuring lengths and areas could be permanently displayed as information and also be used multiple times on one page, this would be very useful for all types of dimension drawings and constructions. These functions are already in Affinity Publisher 2 and just need to be usable multiple times and permanently visible. I have to recreate these measurements in my drawings every time and create them manually using arrows and text fields (like shown in the attachment) and, above all, measure them again and then adjust them if I change/move the objects on the page.
That would a very cool feature (at least for me) - thank you very much!
Cheers,
Thomas

measuring tools.png

Hi @Thomas Reichwein and welcome to the forums,

This feature has been heavily requested by many users and would definitely be a great addition to the Affinity suite so hopefully, we may see this in a future release though there are no guarantees of course.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Reichwein said:

These functions are already in Affinity Publisher 2 and just need to be usable multiple times and permanently visible.

There is currently no function that would 'attach' the dimensional measurement to an object so that if the object's size and/or position on the layout changed that measurement would automatically be adjusted as needed, nor one to select or choose the text characteristics of the dimensional label (like font, font size, etc.), nor anything to set or change the dimensional line properties or positions or shapes, nor the dimensional arrow styles of those lines or if they are inside or outside the line.

CAD apps usually have some version of all those features, so it would be great if they found their way into some future version of AD & the Designer Persona of APub.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

The measurement tool is great: thank you for developing it!
A toggle button to save each measurement as a new layer would be awesome and I would definitely use it for quick measuring needs.
Even if each measurement doesn't stay linked to the shape/point/area. this CAD function would be great but perhaps its development would take away resources from more mainstream features...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't believe this tool is not a standard item, I have used serif/affinity products for a long time and this was in their previous products. Looks like i can't retire my copy of Drawplus X6 yet for a while. 

Is there an official wanted feature list where we can vote up features we want to see included?

5 minutes ago, Vincew said:

Is there an official wanted feature list where we can vote up features we want to see included?

Yes, in the form of every thread in this section of the forum which actually belongs here and follows the guidelines.  Just "like" the post to vote for it, but note that votes don't really mean anything.  Serif decides themselves based on their own internal criteria how to prioritize things.