You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Healing tool on high frequncy layer of Frequency Separation not working

I have found that V2.2.0 and Beta v2.2.1.2075 do not handle the healing tool correctly when applid to the high frequency layer of a Frequency Separted image. I have tried with several images and it is not image dependent. Rather than "healing" the action paints a seemingly random colour, but mostly red. Attached is an example of the result I got. I also tried this with V1.xx to verify it work OK there - it does.

Healing tool snip.JPG

Did you activate „current and below“?
we would need a full screen capture showing the settings in use. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

"Current and below" was set, although I had not selected it, seems that is the default setting. Setting "Ccurrent layer" works ok. Also checked on V1 and it true there also albeit the default is "Current layer". Note, the only image in the layers stack is the subject image so it isn't intuitive that "Current and below" would give this result. Any chance of a warning message under this condition?

I assume you no longer to see a wider screen capture.

47 minutes ago, Steve Ballard said:

I assume you no longer to see a wider screen capture.

Case closed 😀

47 minutes ago, Steve Ballard said:

"Current and below" was set, although I had not selected it, seems that is the default setting.

To my knowledge and testing, it is off by default in all versions (which I dislike as I prefer to and always work non-destructively, by adding a pixel layer for inpainting)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I agree about non-destructive working, but the strange thing is my installation has Current and below set for clone tool and healing tool (maybe others), but not for inpainting which is the tool I use most from this set and always finding I have to select it! - consistency would be good. I have not set anything to force this (not knowlingly away).

• Staff

Current Layer is the default setting for these tools. If you change to Current Layer & Below for the Clone Tool, it will also change it for the Healing Brush Tool and vice versa. This is not true for the Inpainting Brush Tool so I need to query what is right here.

The Clone Tool also has a "Layers Beneath" source option but if selected the Healing Brush Tool has no corresponding option so the source option there is left blank

Which means when you try to use the Healing Brush Tool nothing works (until you change it)

Blank is not a normal option for the Healing Brush Tool so I think they should look at that as well 

Windows 11

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.