You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite: Error Management

On 1/16/2024 at 9:54 AM, Leigh said:

I've had a look at your Log.txt and it looks like the drivers for your GTX 1650 SUPER are 31.0.15.3619 but the latest version is 31.0.15.4609. It also looks like your UHD Graphics 630 drivers are 27.20.100.9664 but the latest version is 31.0.101.2125. Is it possible to try and update to latest version for both to see if that improves things?

Also, have you been able to try the 2.4 beta to see if that provides better stability?

Leigh,

I updated both of the drivers you recommended, as well as all that were recommended by the manufacturer (Dell). That was a day or two ago. I just now loaded Publisher 2.3.1, and opened a recent document. I changed from the Move Tool to the Frame Text Tool, clicked inside an existing paragraph, and right-clicked. The program froze, then a few seconds later disappeared. I just loaded Publisher again, and repeated the same steps. Crash.

I am now downloading the 2.4 Beta, and will report back later.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

27 minutes ago, dlampel said:

I am now downloading the 2.4 Beta, and will report back later.

Well, that didn't take long. Downloaded and installed the 2.4 Beta. Repeated the identical steps--with an identical result: Crash -> Disappear.

By the way, this was not an old file in which I had experienced the same problem. This was a new file created since we last corresponded. 

I next opened a brand New File in 2.4 (not from one of my templates) and filled a new frame with Filler Text, right-clicked--no problem: context menu displayed properly. So I am wondering if the root of this problem lies in my templates, some of which I have been using for years, but I have regularly made new versions as Publisher has updated/upgraded the program. Just in case there is something to be gleaned from them at your end, I am attaching both the end document, and the template from which it was created.

Reflect0885.afpub Reflections_2023-24_portrait_1 column_v2.2.aftemplate

Edited by dlampel
additional information

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

I have been doing more testing and have discovered an environment that causes reproducible crashes. Tests were run in both 2.3.1 and 2.4 Beta with identical results. I tested with files created from long-standing templates of my own, current files not created from templates, and brand New files with Filler Text. The more recent tests were conducted after a reboot. My working environment is to have Publisher with a large number of open Panels displayed in my right-hand (physical) monitor, with the display and editing of my documents floated in my left-hand (physical) monitor.

Here are the results:

• The right-click crash never occurred when documents were not floated to my left-hand monitor, but instead left inside the Publisher UI.
  • The right-click crash usually, but not always occurred when the documents were floated in my left-hand monitor.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

5 hours ago, dlampel said:

I have been doing more testing and have discovered an environment that causes reproducible crashes. Tests were run in both 2.3.1 and 2.4 Beta with identical results. I tested with files created from long-standing templates of my own, current files not created from templates, and brand New files with Filler Text. The more recent tests were conducted after a reboot. My working environment is to have Publisher with a large number of open Panels displayed in my right-hand (physical) monitor, with the display and editing of my documents floated in my left-hand (physical) monitor.

Here are the results:

• The right-click crash never occurred when documents were not floated to my left-hand monitor, but instead left inside the Publisher UI.
  • The right-click crash usually, but not always occurred when the documents were floated in my left-hand monitor.

There is currently a bug which doesn't always result in a BSOD, but it pounds the CPU really hard when it is set off locking up the machine at least temporarily while it "recovers" from a DPI/monitor switch. The OP in that thread has a good example video where it shows how the panels visually glitch out and this can be reproduced reliably with certain dialogs/panels. It seems to be caused when those "problem" panels are moved between screens in mixed DPI environments. Only certain panels will trigger this behavior (I have managed to trigger a BSOD with Text Frame, as an example). So I can believe there is a connection with "off screen" panels leading to odd performance issues, like in your situation, especially when they are being somehow modified by the user on a different screen.

Multi-monitor/mixed DPI scale behavior in Affinity can unearth some rare problems. I have some bugs related to this reported that are yet to be fixed in this category. These are pretty major bugs, in my own opinion, as they show broken scaling behavior relative to the OS' scaling (whether mixed DPI or not)... and as such, I'm forced to run my main screen below 150%, therefore reducing readability across the system...

Therefore I would suggest you could maybe test the following if you see reason to do so...

1) Adjust both screens to share match DPI if they are not already set that way...
2) Lower your DPI at least below 150% if you have it set that way on either screen...

I am not ungrateful for the work done on this situation by the Affinity crew, but, honestly, this is getting to be truly frustrating for me. Today I began working on a monthly newsletter, based on a tried and true template of my own creation. Did this, did that, imported/copied text, moved frames about, inserted graphics, etc. All handled perfectly--until I accidently right-clicked in a text frame.

Crash. Disappear.

C'mon guys, this is basic!

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

• Staff
15 hours ago, dlampel said:

I am not ungrateful for the work done on this situation by the Affinity crew, but, honestly, this is getting to be truly frustrating for me. Today I began working on a monthly newsletter, based on a tried and true template of my own creation. Did this, did that, imported/copied text, moved frames about, inserted graphics, etc. All handled perfectly--until I accidently right-clicked in a text frame.

Crash. Disappear.

C'mon guys, this is basic!

I understand you're frustration and if we knew what was causing your issue, we would provide a fix but unfortunately, your issues appear to be isolated to your setup or workflow. All of the advice we have given so far would normally get us to a point where we can replicate or find the cause of the issue but that's not the case for you, sorry.

We will continue to investigate but without us being able to replicate the issue or get any meaningful information from your crash reports, it's proving tricky.

Did you manage to try the advice from @debraspicher posted above? If so, what was the outcome? Can you provide a copy of your latest logs from EventViewer (steps on how to do that can be found here) and will get a developer to have another look to see if anything springs to mind.

On 1/20/2024 at 2:20 PM, debraspicher said:

Therefore I would suggest you could maybe test the following if you see reason to do so...

1) Adjust both screens to share match DPI if they are not already set that way...
2) Lower your DPI at least below 150% if you have it set that way on either screen...

Thank you for all the helpful information. Frankly a lot of it was above my pay grade; difficult for me to understand--especially all the acronyms. But when I returned and reread (and looked up the meaning of the acronyms) I concluded you may be on to something. For my two monitors are not identical. The one on my right, displaying the Publisher program, is an older, slightly lower resolution monitor than the one on my left, to which I drag document windows. So I am going to dig into this possibility, following your suggestions, to see if it helps, and will report back. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

• Staff
19 minutes ago, dlampel said:

For my two monitors are not identical. The one on my right, displaying the Publisher program, is an older, slightly lower resolution monitor than the one on my left, to which I drag document windows.

Many thanks for confirming that for us!
My apologies if I missed this detail in your previous reports, as I was not aware your workflow included 'floating' the window to a secondary monitor.

In testing this here on my Windows PC, in the office I use a 4K monitor for my main display, and a 1080p monitor for my secondary - meaning both monitors have a different Windows Scaling DPI % set.

With the main Affinity app UI on my 4K monitor, when 'floating' the document view and moving this to my secondary 1080p monitor, then right-clicking in a text frame, the application crashes immediately.

I've also tested this within Affinity 2.1.1, where the same bug did not occur, as per your reports.

Therefore I'm now able to log this issue with our team, using these steps in order to replicate and resolve the issue, ASAP.

Unfortunately I've not yet found a workaround for this issue in V2.2 or V2.3 when floating the document window, therefore if you wish to avoid this I'd recommend not floating the document in 2.3, or using 2.1 until our next update is released.

I hope this helps & once again our sincerest thanks for your patience and understanding here in reporting this issue :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan,

You mean, there might actually be a resolution to this at some point? Be still my heart! Seriously, I really do appreciate the efforts of the Affinity crew. Perfection in any computer program cannot and should not be expected, but it goes a long way to securing a user base when the team behind it will be as diligent as yours to ferret out the imperfections and address them.

Thank you.

By the way, until the fix is published I thought I might reverse my workflow to this. Instead of having all my panels remain in the UI and dragging documents to the other monitor, I might try (if possible; I may try this in the 2.4 Beta) keeping the documents in the UI and just place the panels in the other monitor--which means no docs will be forced to change DPI from the original UI.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

Just a quick follow-up to my last post. Using the 2.4 Beta I arranged the Publisher UI with an open document on my left-hand monitor, and all my control panels on my right-hand monitor. When I right-clicked on some text, the program did not crash. That is, by leaving the document in the UI, it did not crash.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

• Staff

No problem at all, your kind feedback is certainly appreciated as we love to help our users and we take great pride in the service we provide :)

36 minutes ago, dlampel said:

Just a quick follow-up to my last post. Using the 2.4 Beta I arranged the Publisher UI with an open document on my left-hand monitor, and all my control panels on my right-hand monitor. When I right-clicked on some text, the program did not crash. That is, by leaving the document in the UI, it did not crash.

That's wonderful news, I'm very glad to hear this!

I can also see that our development team seems to have identified the underlying cause of this issue and are currently working to have it resolved - hopefully in our next upcoming beta version.

The 'Serif Info Bot' will post in this thread automatically when our team have confirmed the issue is resolved, so once this occurs we'd appreciate if you are also able to test the fix in the new beta version that will be released, to confirm that the issue can no longer be replicated as it can in 2.3.1.

Hopefully this should also mean you're able to use the beta without experiencing this crash and can return to editing in Affinity uninterrupted!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

The issue "[Win] Right clicking inside a text frame will trigger an app crash if the document window is floated" (REF: AF-1604) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2252".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Serif Info Bot said:

[Win] Right clicking inside a text frame will trigger an app crash if the document window is floated

@dlampel

We are currently testing the fix for the right click issue, and I wanted to say sorry this has taken so long to track down and thank you for your help finding it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 4:29 AM, Serif Info Bot said:

The issue "[Win] Right clicking inside a text frame will trigger an app crash if the document window is floated" (REF: AF-1604) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2252".

To all who have participated in this conversation I want to report that I tested the issue (right-click in text frame when document floated to a second monitor) in Beta 2.4.0.2256 with success. No crash! Thank you to all those who contributed to this fix.

By the way, just a reminder: An easy workaround is to keep the documents in the UI and float the control panels to the secondary monitor. This workflow I have been successfully using for the last few weeks (in v2.3).

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com