You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After upgrading to 2.2.0, font selection is very laggy.

liumingming

• Staff

Hi @liumingming,

Thanks for your report!

I'm not currently seeing this behaviour here on our M1 iPad when running iPadOS 17 - though I don't believe I have as many custom fonts installed as yourself.

Can you please confirm for me, how have you installed these fonts? Are they installed through the Affinity app directly, through iPadOS Settings, or through a third party font manager app?

Do you know how many fonts you have installed? How are you interacting with the iPad please? (ie touch, Apple Pencil, Mouse and Keyboard)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Welcome to the Forums @yok2293 :)

How many fonts have you got installed on your iPad & how have you installed these please?

23 hours ago, Dan C said:

Are they installed through the Affinity app directly, through iPadOS Settings, or through a third party font manager app?

The more information our team have regarding this issue, the easier it will be for us to address!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Wilton33311 & @the aducator,

Thanks for your reports - I can confirm this issue is logged with our development team, so I'll be sure to 'bump' this with your reports now.

Can you please confirm for me, how many fonts do you have installed on your iPad, and how are these fonts installed/managed?
(ie installed through the Affinity app directly, through iPadOS settings or using a third party font manager?)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Don’t have the exact figure but I think they’re in the 300-400 range. All installed directly through the Affinity app. Never had any problem like this before the update (Affinity and iOS). Also, I’m observing a UI orientation glitch as well when any file is first opened. Have to close and open again for it to correct itself. Take a look at the attached screenshots for both issues.

IMG_8411.png

IMG_8410.png

IMG_8394.png

• Staff
1 hour ago, the aducator said:

Don’t have the exact figure but I think they’re in the 300-400 range. All installed directly through the Affinity app.

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'll be sure to update the development log with this information now :)

1 hour ago, the aducator said:

I’m observing a UI orientation glitch as well when any file is first opened

Unfortunately I'm not seeing this issue here, though it looks as though the app cannot determine the correct orientation of the iPad when drawing the UI.

Are you opening your documents with the iPad in Portrait or Landscape orientation please? Does this occur in either orientation, or only in one?

Does this happen when opening any file? When you mention 'first opened', is this first opened after launching the app, or first opened just after importing the file for editing?

Many thanks once again!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
20 hours ago, the aducator said:

It seems to me that the app registers the correct orientation only upon opening the file a second time right after closing it.

Thank you for the further info - I concur with the above as I've now been able to replicate this issue and have logged it with our developers to be resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for letting us know @Sulaiman_ and we're sorry to hear this.

As above our team are aware of this issue and we're working to resolve this as soon as possible.

Many users report that this only occurs with 60/70+ fonts, though I do appreciate it is not ideal to have to remove fonts installed from your iPad as a workaround in the meantime.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Unfortunately this issue is still logged with our development team currently, though it is being actively investigated.

From my understanding, it appears that iPadOS 17 has changed the way applications interact with installed fonts and therefore this is not a straightforward fix and requires further consideration and testing my our team.

Our team are working to resolve this as soon as possible, but I'm unable to provide an active timescale for a fix at this time, my apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

I came across this thread while browsing for answers on the same issue.

Since installing ios17 on my ipad pro (4th) gen I can no longer change the font. My custom fonts (100s installed through the affinity designer app directly) are no longer shown in the drop down menu - this menu is also unusable and just freezes.

My custom installed fonts all show up in the fonts list in the app settings.

Is there any update on the fix yet as I need to use my ipad for my design work for products for my small business and with Xmas prep in full swing it is critical.

Thank you

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @lrevans89 :)

Our developers have responded to the bug report to confirm that the font picker in Affinity 2.2 is provided by the OS and not something we have direct control of.

According to the team we used to render our own font picker but had to change it to the OS one, following the iPad OS 17 update, therefore we believe this issue to be caused on Apples end.

At this time, were awaiting an update from Apple to address the issue and therefore cannot provide any estimated fix timescale, our apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

I am running AD 2.2.1 on a M1 iPad Pro - Developer Beta 17.1 RC (the same issue was present pre beta)

I also have the same lag issue and hope my input helps pin down the problem.

I have 265 fonts loaded direct from Adobe Creative Cloud into iPadOS settings and this doesn’t cause any lag at all of which can be seen in the screenshot. The problem seems to start when I load fonts direct into the AD software straight from iCloud and these comprise of free and purchased fonts from various sites. I have found that I can have approx one hundred of these fonts loaded and I don’t suffer any lag in the font picker but then when I have loaded more, approx 150+ fonts from iCloud that’s when the lag seems to start. If I delete all fonts in the AD software then solely use the fonts that are loaded into iPadOS settings from Adobe Creative Cloud the problem goes away but on the downside to that I have also found that the fonts loaded through Adobe Creative Cloud straight into the iPadOS settings page don’t initially work, When you select one of the fonts in AD they will show as a default font and the text name in the font selector will be red. If you leave the text selected then close out of the software with a swipe up then re-open and re select the font that didn’t show it will now be okay. This obviously is a pain as the same has to be done to any font that has been loaded that way to get them to work. I have added a screen shot of this issue and during that you will see no lag when I use 265 fonts from the iPadOS, the issue seems to happen when loading fonts direct in to the AD software. 

I use the iPad either standalone, mounted to a Magic Keyboard and an Apple Pencil 2 and the issue happens in any combination. 

Hope this helps? 

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @Dlm71 - the behaviour you've described certainly aligns with our current understanding of this issue, in which it only occurs when installing fonts directly through the Affinity apps.

Equally, there is a separate issue logged regarding Adobe Cloud Fonts showing as 'red' when first used, as you've reported above.

I'll be sure to update both the development logs for these issues with your report now and we hope to have this resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi, do you have any suggestions on how to get around near-frozen font picker in the meantime? (Re-installing the fonts, installing directly on the iPad etc?) You realize this is making the software unusable and not good for customer retention? It’s not a question of loyalty, it’s “what am I supposed to do in the meantime?” Please share workarounds if there are any.

18 hours ago, Na Kh said:

Hi, do you have any suggestions on how to get around near-frozen font picker in the meantime? (Re-installing the fonts, installing directly on the iPad etc?) You realize this is making the software unusable and not good for customer retention? It’s not a question of loyalty, it’s “what am I supposed to do in the meantime?” Please share workarounds if there are any.

Exactly. This is going to force customers having this issue back to Adobe in iPad. I had to figure out how to remove the fonts all at once from the app. Someone in the forums told me the trick to bulk delete the fonts. Otherwise i would have been confined to Affinity on my desktop. 

Currently i am only using fonts that i have installed on my iPad as opposed to them being added via the app. I unfortunately must install them as i need them to the ipad.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

• Staff

Unfortunately this issue is still logged with our developers at this time - as it affects both Affinity V1 and V2 when iOS 17 was released, our team believes this to be an issue with Apples iPad font implementation when installing directly within the Affinity apps.

However, other users have reported (as above) that installing fonts directly into iPadOS (usually using a Font Manager), does not cause the same issue. So you might wish to try removing your installed fonts from Affinity and install these directly into iPadOS instead.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to 'bump' this with our team once again. 

Please note -

Many thanks!