You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V1 vs V2

Hello there,

So, I was thinking about the pricing of V2 because everyone talks about other softwares charging subscriptions. But, I paid US$104,97 in 2020 for V1 complete package, and now, V2 upgrade complete package costs US$123,74. Of course, Affinity still charges less than other similar softwares, but I consider this at least a "partial subscription".  :]

Also, I feel that "my money was wasted on V1" or "Affinity Softwares will increse its price every major update for customers that already bought other versions" (Ex.: V1 = US$104,97 -> V2 = US$104,97 + US$123,74 = US$228,71 -> New Customer with V2 = US$164,99)

This means that Affinity favors new customers over customer retention?

Thanks in advance.

Difference with subscripted software is that you can use your v1 software as long as you have a machine able to run it, for years on, without spending one extra penny. 

And if you want the new version, you gain a rebate. That's fair enough.
In my opinion, it is an error to think about cumulated price. What you paid for v1 must have paid for itself in the two or three past years of use, then after it has been paid, so forget it, as for benzine in a car. If it's not paid on that time, perhaps you don't have enough use of it?

For myself, in about a day I earn just enough to buy it. Thus if I keep it only for two-three years, I am already happy. And when I see how much do papers, inks, pencils, etc. cost, software is not the most expensive — even for a hobby. 

Affinity Suite 2.5 – Monterey 12.7.5 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Hello Oufti, how are you?

So, the topic here is not if V1 paid for itself during its usage or if we (customers) were able to pay for it or are able to pay for V2. The topic is that we need to pay US$123,74 MORE (US$104,97 for V1 + US$123,74 for V2 = US$228,71) for an update. Not a new software, but an update. In the mean time, new customers pay US$164,99 for V2 (which obviously has V1 included). This means, new V2 customers have a US$63,72 discount over V1 customers.

And again, it is an UPDATE. Not a new software.

If you can't see that, I don't know what to say to you. I just can respect your opinion and you mine, and we all move on without a solution. Well, "solution". Because we have other ways to get V2 without paying if needed. But makes me sad if I would need to do it like this in the future.

If you don’t want to pay for a new version when it comes, just keep using the old one! No one is forcing you to upgrade to the new version!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hello PaulEC, how are you?

Well, you are wrong and right at the same time. No one is forced to do anything, this is not the issue here. But, if they stop updating the old version over newer versions, one time your older version will be obsolete, so yes you are "forced" to buy newer versions. If you need to be charged over and over for new updates, just change the words to "soft-subscription" (if you got what I meant).

The "issue" here is that we need to pay US$123,74 more for an update (US$104,97 for V1 + US$123,74 for V2 = US$228,71). Not a new software, but an update. In the mean time, new customers pay US$164,99 for V2 (which obviously has V1 included). This means, new V2 customers have a US$63,72 discount over V1 customers.

I can pay for a good product (update, subscription, or whatever), but if I already am a customer and I am paying more for it than a new customer, this makes me reconsider.

As I said above answering Oufti, we have other ways to get V2 for free. I just not wanted to resort to it in the future if needed.

Edited by Ribeiro
forced = "forced"

13 minutes ago, Ribeiro said:

new customers pay US$164,99 for V2 (which obviously has V1 included)

V2 does not include v1, they are two separate pieces of software, which you can install and run side by side. If v2 was just an update, rather than an upgrade to a new version, of v1 it would obviously overwrite it in the same way as updates to v1 did.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

17 minutes ago, Ribeiro said:

Upgrade, update, whatever you like man. Whatever you like.  :]

Cheers.

I agree. Serif did offer a upgrade discount upon the initial release of version 2, but it was relatively short lived versus the ongoing upgrade discount many other software companies offer.

If there is a major dot release, Serif could/may off a discount at that time else the discount would await a major release. And, there could be a discount over a black Friday period, cyber Monday, etc. But one needs to be ready and watching for such an event. Unfortunately. 

• Staff
6 hours ago, MikeW said:

but it was relatively short lived versus the ongoing upgrade discount many other software companies offer.

Everyone who is on our database as a registered owner of V1 (and has not opted out of email marketing communication) has been offered subsequent generous discounts repeatedly, even outside of our sale periods. 

Anyone else can always email Affinity@Serif.com and see what discount is available to them without opting back into marketing communications.

We also tend to do generous Black Friday discounts to everyone, as you say.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon