You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Headers Regression in 2.2.0 (1971)

I haven't checked previous 2.2.0 Publisher betas but the latest Publisher Beta 2.2.0 (1971) is having problems displaying Character Styles in Running Headers if that text also happens to be a Paragraph Style with a Drop Cap enabled. There may be other reasons for that of course.

I haven't checked it extensively but the below video shows the problem. I'm switching here between 2.1.1 and the latest beta 2.2.0 (1971).

I'm also attaching the doc below.

Bible-refs-2.afpub

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Just now, NathanC said:

I've now moved the thread for you to the beta bug section

Ups. thank you.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

This caught my attention because I was playing with running headers today and it looked like a weird bug at first. This is unrelated to drop caps, the bug happens if the running header's style is applied to a single character. It doesn't matter whether it's a character or paragraph style, if the text formatted with the style is a single character than the current beta will show blank. Here's a quick recording showing the issue with Heading 1.

The uploaded document shows John :10–:50 instead of John 1:1–1:50. The chapter is missing in both the from and to sections because the chapter style was applied to a single digit. For the from verse it's showing 10 instead of 1 because verses 1-9 are too short given the bug. The 50 is correct in both from and to.

If it was going to take a long time to get this fixed there's a workaround - insert a zero width space after all single-digit chapter and verse numbers and then they'll be two characters and the running header will work. You'd have to do some fancy grep work or that would take forever. I suggest just waiting for the bug to be fixed.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

8 hours ago, MikeTO said:

For the from verse it's showing 10 instead of 1 because verses 1-9 are too short given the bug.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by that but weirdly in addition to the one-character bug, removing the space between the Chapter Number and the Verse Number corrects the verse number...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@Hangman, I believe you just made it two characters by typing a character where the space was. The bug occurs when a RH is applied with a character style to a single character, or when the first word of the running header is a single character.

Just try it in a fresh document. Create a RH and using heading 1, type a 1 in another frame - it won't appear in the RH. Type 12 and it will appear. Type 1+space+2 and it won't appear.

Most people use paragraph styles for running headers so unless the first word starts with a space they'd never notice this. Seneca's RH setup is quite complex and is a great test case.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

34 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I believe you just made it two characters by typing a character where the space was.

@MikeTO, except the two text styles are maintained, i.e., when you have a two-digit Chapter Number, this 'rectifies' the one-character bug (see 20-second mark in the screen recording).

When deleting the space between the Chapter Number and the Verse Number, the Verse Number still maintains its Text Style and appears 'after' the colon. If it were making a two-character Chapter Number you'd expect to see the Chapter Number before the colon update to reflect this which it doesn't (see 36-second mark in the screen recording).

44 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Most people use paragraph styles for running headers

In Seneca's example, you couldn't use paragraph styles for the running headers since multiple running headers are applied so you have to use Character styles to accommodate the different text styles.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

4 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@MikeTO, except the two text styles are maintained, i.e., when you have a two-digit Chapter Number, this 'rectifies' the one-character bug

That's right. If it's 2 digits then the bug won't happen. That's why in the original document the first verse that is captured is 10 because verses 1-9 are ignored.

22 hours ago, MikeTO said:

That's right. If it's 2 digits then the bug won't happen. That's why in the original document the first verse that is captured is 10 because verses 1-9 are ignored.

That all makes sense now, I've just realised the logic, i.e., the character styles don't matter...