You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Completing my fanfiction composite - Creating a rain/storm Effect, adding a vehicle

SolidSnake2003

13 hours ago, SolidSnake2003 said:

It was made from an free text to image A.I,

Which text to AI generator are you using?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

We can't see Georgie anymore!

Mum and Dad need moving more to the right to open up the scene again

It's no longer obvious what they are looking at

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, carl123 said:

We can't see Georgie anymore!

Mum and Dad need moving more to the right to open up the scene again

It's no longer obvious what they are looking at

@v_kyr @carl123 @AffinityJules @iconoclast @firstdefence Here is a new preview of the composite with a new model of the father, parents repositioned to make Georgie more visible

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview40.thumb.jpg.e735d429d40d9ff5bcd493dcf4e1e865.jpg

Hope You all like the new preview.

That works.

You could move them even further to the right if you wanted to, there's plenty of room there.

If you imagine their line of sight, they appear to be looking slightly to the left of Georgie, so moving them right a bit wouldn't hurt at all and would probably line up better.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

57 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

That works.

You could move them even further to the right if you wanted to, there's plenty of room there.

If you imagine their line of sight, they appear to be looking slightly to the left of Georgie, so moving them right a bit wouldn't hurt at all and would probably line up better.

Thanks for the suggestion, @AffinityJules, I will move them over a bit more to the right. I have enough characters now, won't add anymore. The biggest thing I want to add besides more light around the characters that need it is rain splashes and I would like to add drops coming off the umbrella and maybe the house. Plus I'm wondering if I should add any reflections on the driveway, since it is a reflective surface.

You can experiment with rain drops and such to get a dripping effect. A quick example I have set here, and although a rough example, it demonstrates the principle.

There may be rain drops available as brush sets but I don't know of any apart from rain brushes.

Splash brushes are definitely available and they can be useful, too.

Reflections on the driveway will only work if it's lit enough to see a reflection in the first place. Right now I don't see any driveway at all. 

rain.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

10 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

You can experiment with rain drops and such to get a dripping effect. A quick example I have set here, and although a rough example, it demonstrates the principle.

There may be rain drops available as brush sets but I don't know of any apart from rain brushes.

Splash brushes are definitely available and they can be useful, too.

Reflections on the driveway will only work if it's lit enough to see a reflection in the first place. Right now I don't see any driveway at all. 

rain.jpg

Thanks @AffinityJules can I do this without any kind of drawing tablet and use only a mouse?

I just used my laptop and mouse to do that.

No offence taken at all.

Any light source - if strong enough, will cast a reflection on a wet surface.

Any light source - if strong enough, will cast a shadow.

The strength of the light source is an important consideration for length and depth, etc. A flash of lightning is exactly that - a momentary flash of bright light from high above. Yes, it would light everything below it, but it all comes down to how much (real) detail you want to include in your composite? 

You know how the real world works when it comes to the elements, use that knowledge to decide if it's really worth fretting over it. If you really want to include the flash from a lightning strike in your picture, you will need to light each and every element in your picture from the top down. Now that's a lot of work to take on.

Another aspect is: is the night sky cloudy or clear - lightning will look different in each case. And, is the lightning directly above, or some miles away? That would affect the picture as a whole.

I could go on forever, but as I said. . .you know how nature looks and works. 

Same image as above but with added water along the base of the umbrella hood.

This is done using a layer with 'Bevel and Emboss' adjusted to create the desired affect. Adjust the opacity to blend. My example here is amplified in order to show it.

Try it and experiment.

rain 2.jpg

Here's a practical example for a suggested finished image (local layer adjustments pending).

Apart from the rain effects (for example only) I had added 2 gradients.

ex1.jpg

3 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Same image as above but with added water along the base of the umbrella hood.

This is done using a layer with 'Bevel and Emboss' adjusted to create the desired affect. Adjust the opacity to blend. My example here is amplified in order to show it.

Try it and experiment.

rain 2.jpg

58 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

Here's a practical example for a suggested finished image (local layer adjustments pending).

Apart from the rain effects (for example only) I had added 2 gradients.

ex1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions @AffinityJules, the effect on my composite looks cool, do you mind if I recreate it?

chap02_denbrough-house_ambulance_preview41.thumb.jpg.c1d4c8975922b3355b68e963b0865d76.jpg

@v_kyr @carl123 @AffinityJules @iconoclast @firstdefence Here is a new preview of the composite where I moved the parents over, and decided to add back the dog, but reposition her to the other side and changed the the image to one from freepik with the background removed:

Hope you all like it.

You can recreate anything by example. I do not/can not claim ownership over anything when using tools in Affinity Photo.

All I used was an oil brush and some effects - just like anyone can using the product.

I would be bold and move the parents even further to the right...and lose the dog! Does nothing for the picture.

Nice progress, particularly like the added rain effect

Ok. The new position of the parents is virtually spot on - the line of sight of the mother is now focused on Georgie.

If you had a mind to, you could move them even more to the right. 

I think you have the atmosphere almost bang on, very foreboding, I like the rain effect too. The emergency guy in the foreground - I'm not sure about the white glow on his shoulder, I think it's a bit distracting but overall I think you are getting very close to a great effort, so well done.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions