You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An "impossible" arrowhead?

Variatio delectat or there is more than one way to create an arrow in Affinity. ;) But none of the solutions I found is satisfactory. Maybe there is no solution without a disadvantage.

Attached image shows four arrows.

A is made with the Arrow Tool. Not easy to handle, when you add changes to the direction.

B is a line made with an additional stroke in Appearance, BUT the black arrowhead is not perfectly placed above the white arrowhead.

C has an Outline FX, but with a rounded white arrowhead and getting rasterised on export.

D is the perfect one, but made of two lines. Too much work.

Anyone an easy solution I haven't thought of?

impossiblearrow2.jpg

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

You have shown us 3 examples of what you don't want

Can you show us one example of what you do want?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, Aammppaa said:

But... the white stroke doesn't wrap the end of the line?!

This part is not so important to me. It is just the white / black arrowheads to be placed perfectly.

----------

I agree with your unspoken criticism that the arrow head should be centered when adding an additional stroke. Indeed I recall making the same complaint myself during the beta when arrowheads were first introduced!

I think your original post is correct... there are many ways to achieve this, but none is perfect. Each is a compromise that will work in some situations and not others.

Attached is one such example... using a single triangle, and two copies of the line kept in sync with symbols. It works great, until it doesn't! Symbols have their quirks.

SymbolArrowExample.gif.d7bd9390044bc439e409fc59179b525e.gif

Arrow Symbol Example.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

5 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

What about drawing the line with the pen tool, set the thickness of the stroke and add an arrowhead to it, then "Expand Stroke" (menu "Layer") and then add an outline?

I would like to have an easier way, just a simple line, which can be moved and bended in any direction. Try to unbend the lines with your workflow shown in the attached image. This would take a bit longer. I am using quite often arrows, so this would take too long. I have to confess, the double line arrowhead is a rare use-case.

changingdirections.jpg

----------

Here's another interesting option...

The arrow is made of a single path (with a contour applied), and a single triangle, combined as a Compound. As such, both remain fully editable.

This is a new idea to me, and the best workaround I've found to date.

CompoundContourArrowExample.gif.db27dc5bdb0b8f4556a2c448334558d8.gif

Arrow Compound with Contour Example.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Here's another interesting option...

The drawback for that is if you bend the middle of the line the triangle does not automatically rotate to meet it at the appropriate angle....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

The drawback for that is if you bend the middle of the line the triangle does not automatically rotate to meet it at the appropriate angle....

Absolutely. It would be far preferable if multiple strokes applied to arrowheads worked correctly, with the width of the stroke being even all around the arrow.