You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is Pantone Viva Magenta

The Pantone colors supplied with the Affinity applications are an older and static set of colors. You won't find new ones, like Viva Magenta, pre-installed. You'll need to download and install that one yourself.

You can find more discussion in the following topic, including some discussions of how to get the 2023 colors yourself:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As far as I know the requested color is only part of PANTONE FHI (Fashion Home + Interiors) Libraries FHI Cotton TCX and FHI Paper TPG, which are not included in libraries provided with Affinity apps. But these libraries can be accessed by creating a free BASIC PANTONE account. In the current PANTONE Connect system color data of some libraries (including colors of the FHI libraries, but not e.g. those of the Formula Guides) can be accessed free of charge so not only the sRGB / Hex but also Lab definitions can be accessed free of charge just by using a browser (within Adobe apps a free plug-in is also available). Using this information it is easy to create custom palettes for Affinity apps to include any PANTONE colors (creating full libraries would of course be pretty tedious, but as far as information just for individual colors is needed, there are no problems). 

On 8/1/2023 at 6:10 AM, lacerto said:

these libraries can be accessed by creating a free BASIC PANTONE account

How do you do this? When I go to the Pantone site there is no free/basic option, the only options I see are these:

ice_screenshot_20230802-102809.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 hours ago, PaulEC said:

How do you do this? When I go to the Pantone site there is no free/basic option, the only options I see are these:

Sorry, it seems this specific color (Viva Magenta) is basically the ONLY color where full color data is shown in context of a free account, so it is just a PANTONE Connect demo.

It would still be possible to get an sRGB definition of any PANTONE color by using the method that I demonstrated in context of the post referred above, showing how e.g. PANTONE 2023 colors could be collected into an Affinity palette using a free PANTONE account.

It's so weird you have to do a subscription to see colors codes.. I can understand if they sell a printed or digital book with some added value, but it's like a car manufacturer want money to tell you the motor power of a car model.

• 1 month later...

RIP software companies can and do choose to license Pantone decks inclusive of the PMS and FHI color systems.

Why has Serif chosen not to license the FHI color system information?

And by the way- this is the page for viva magenta from pantone that discloses the L*a*b* for viva magenta: https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year/2023/designer-tools

5 hours ago, bteifeld said:

Why has Serif chosen not to license the FHI color system information?

Just guessing but probably because Pantone would charge Serif enough to do that that they would have to raise the purchase price of Affinity to cover it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, pano said:

Why Serif is not making it's own palette with a different name?

Because, as far as I know, only makes sense when the Palette Colours are associated with their respective physical buckets of paint.
Those physical buckets of paint which you can more or less easily order and use in your printer.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

53 minutes ago, pano said:

Colors can't be subject to copyright,

Combinations (collections) of specific colors can be copyrighted, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1