You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to select text that's "outside" the text box handles area?

What is the idea behind having text that is in a box with other text, but which appears below the text box handles?

It is very difficult to select this text. You must first select the box above, then you can get to the text you want.

Why not make this text more directly accessible to selection?

Is there an underlying reason for the way it is now?

• Staff

You're talking about the Text Frame Tool. Some text may appear outside the box because there's no space in the frame box to accommodate it.

Usually in other software the text that doesn't fit in the frame is hidden and a little plus sign added to the bounding box, to let you know that there's more text available.

Affinity Designer shows that "hidden" text by default. That's why you have to select the text frame box first, because the text belongs to that box.

This will be probably worked out later (maybe with Publisher's release or sooner) but for now that's the reason it works that way.

What is the idea behind having text that is in a box with other text, but which appears below the text box handles?

We considered hiding it, like most apps do, but then thought, why? Having text that's there but you can't see it, just causes problems (for example, with things like Find&Replace and spell-checking). Leaving it on the page may look strange, but you can see what's happening and what to do about it. Often there's no need to do anything. If it looks OK on the drawing, it is OK.

This is a bit of a departure, so we'll review it if we get a lot of negative feedback. It's not supposed to be harder to select, so I'll look into that next week. Other than that, do you see it as causing you difficulties?

OK..no, I get it and I wouldn't be hasty to chuck it..it's not a bad way to go, but might I suggest adding some other warning element to the situation, like maybe the text box could take on a different color, such as red, to help alert the User to what up?

I can appreciate the difficulty in choosing the warning method to use..I am accustomed to the one Quark and InDesign use...I've always found it mildly annoying, but...how else to handle it.  I respect how you guys are approaching it.

The only danger I can see with the current method is that AD will allow overflow text to display (and print?) but maybe that's not the end of the world, either...

So, it's hide the text and User says, "Hey, where'd my text go...Oh, yeah...overflow."   or show the overflow and User thinks, "Hey, why is that text behaving like that...ah...overflow."

Just thinking out loud here..

I really don't mind having the text like this.

But I do have a problem with it.

When we align objects, the alignment is done in respect with the limits of the text box, not the to the text that is visible.

This can be bad if the text overflows or simply if the text does not reach the end of the text box.

What we need is an easy way to re-fit the text box so that it expands/contracts to be the size of the text.

However, if you align, lets say, an horizontal line with the bottom of a text box, the line will align to the bottom of the box, no matter if there is text sticking out of way above the bottom of the text box.

I really think we need a way to fit the text box to the text.
Check out the image. I just performed a align to bottom.

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 00.05.44.tiff