You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke Crash

Bryce

• Staff

Hi Bryce,

I can't seem to replicate this here, if you navigate to the apps preferences and under performance untick metal compute does this issue still occur?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hello Callum,

I tried disabling Metal compute and it still happens.

I have narrowed down how to reproduce the crash. If you have more than one stroke applied in appearance and you select more than one object to expand stroke, it seems to crash every time. 

I've attached a file showing the demonstration that crashes for me each time I have more than one object selected for expand stroke.

thanks!

test.afdesign

4 hours ago, Bryce said:

Anyone else found to be able to crash?

Absolutely not. 

Some strange things happened when applying discontinued stroke on the inside of the "Z" but no crash. (Every change was made with at least two objects selected.)

PNG50-Capturedcran2023-07-2700_30_32.png.f5a73d2497ffda32c16b7a7f23d984c3.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Same. I selected the to first objects in 2.1.1 and 2.2 beta and expand stroke crashed Designer instantly.

Edited by Bitarts

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

Ah - it was extremely easy to figure out what was causing this crash:

1. Inspect visually whats special about these ellipses...
  2. Two seconds later... Aha!
  3. Make new document and create an ellipse and from the appearance panel add an additional stroke (Result: 2 strokes, one fill)
  4. Duplicate
  5. Select both
  6. Expand stroke
  7.  💣  💣  💣  💣 

So expand stroke crashes when it tries to handle several objects with at least two strokes. :)

Edited by Bitarts

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

8 hours ago, Bitarts said:

Ah - it was extremely easy to figure out what was causing this crash:

1. Inspect visually whats special about these ellipses...
  2. Two seconds later... Aha!
  3. Make new document and create an ellipse and from the appearance panel add an additional stroke (Result: 2 strokes, one fill)
  4. Duplicate
  5. Select both
  6. Expand stroke
  7.  💣  💣  💣  💣 

So expand stroke crashes when it tries to handle several objects with at least two strokes. :)

Tried to replicate this on an Windows 10 machine using Designer 2.11 …
Works – i get the strokes as separate curves – until i try to undo with CTRL-Z: Crash.

Greetings

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Crash when expanding more than one 'multiple stroke' object" (REF: AFD-3892) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1971".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.