You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

saving pattern in photo

I'd like to save a pattern to assets in photo
but it also has transparency. when I "save from selection" it only puts the visible pixels to assets.
how can I make it happen that also the transparent pixels from the selection will be saved?

thanks folks...

Can you provide some screenshots?

When I save a pixel selection as an Asset, from a document with transparency, the Asset seems to have the pixels and the transparent areas in it.

E.g., this screenshot shows the Asset I just created and then dragged onto another image (where I've hidden the background layer):

image.png.c0de1b225852c98c209609f3b53fbc18.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, Tyves said:

did u try also one pixel & 4 or 5 transparent ones? like in my attachment?

No, because you gave no good description of what you were doing :)

Thanks for that better description of the object you're tryint to save.

What is actually happening when you try to use it, that shows something is wrong?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, Tyves said:

if I use it as a fill it fills all up in black but it shouldn't 😌

Screenshot or video, please.

Here's mine, using the Asset I created above. If you can provide a document with your pattern in it, I'll try playing with it, too.

-- Walt
PC:

yes @walt.farrell with big things it also works with me, I often used complex assets
but I only draw a selection (selection tool) 1x1 px, fill it black, draw a new selection around it but make one end longer... 1x5px
and then "make asset from selection" only puts the 1x1px square in the assets 😬 that's all... but I would love to have the transparent pixels as well..
(of course my background is transparent)

If you just want to use the brush then you need to give the asset save selection thingy something to bite on so use a brush set to low opacity to delimit the shape, I hope the screenshot is understandable. Having said that, Brian's method is the way to go

Asset.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

29 minutes ago, Tyves said:

but I only draw a selection (selection tool) 1x1 px, fill it black, draw a new selection around it but make one end longer... 1x5px

You only had a 1x1 object, so that's all you got. As others have said, you need to start with a 1x5 object.

-- Walt
PC:

40 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

@Tyves Create a rectangle vector shape with no fill/stroke that’s the size and position of the transparent pixels you want in the asset, group the rectangle with your artwork, and create the asset from the group.

Hi Brian... I would like to use it than as a pattern fill... can use grps as a fill? 😳

44 minutes ago, Tyves said:

I could add the group to assets yes but can get it going to use it as a fill 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Then you will need a 1x5 pixel area, selected from an object that is that size or larger.

Originally you made a selection that was outside the bounds of your pixel layer, which will not generate pixels.

-- Walt
PC:

@Tyves I'm not sure if this will accomplish what you want, but maybe worth a try.

Rather than saving the pattern as an Asset, you could save the pattern as a PNG file and use it in a Bitmap Fill Layer.

Create the pattern:

1. Create a new file and set the canvas size to the size you want your pattern to be.
  2. Create the pattern and save the file as a PNG.

Use the pattern:

1. Open the file you want to use the pattern in.
  2. Create a Fill Layer: Layer > New Fill Layer.
  3. In the Context Toolbar, for Type select Bitmap. Navigate to the PNG pattern file you saved and select it.

The Fill Layer will cover the entire canvas. You can apply a mask to the Fill Layer if needed. If you want to change the position of the pattern or delete part of it, you will need to rasterize the Fill Layer first.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

Good morning dear @Brian_J thanks... I already knew this workaround I only hoped for an easier way like drag and drop from the assets you know? you know as it is with extra files... a time will come where you don't know anymore where you have saved them once an so on 😂 however thanks anyways for your help...

hey @walt.farrell thanks to you too... but I took the selection tool and it was magnified so it were exactly 1x5 px... but anyways... if there's no way (yet) it is as it is...

may u have a fine day you both... cheerio...

1 hour ago, Tyves said:

thanks... I already knew this workaround I only hoped for an easier way like drag and drop from the assets you know? you know as it is with extra files... a time will come where you don't know anymore where you have saved them once an so on

I hear you. Hopefully at some point there will be improvements in creating and working with patterns. 🤞 

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

Make asset as shown above. by creating a transparent rectangle 1x5 and the visible part 1x1>group them>asset from selection gives a group in the assets panel.
Create fill layer or rectangle that is your pattern object.
Go to fill/gradienttool and simply click the group in the assets panel to make it the fill of the pattern object(fill layer or rectangle)
See video :

Edited by Return

5 hours ago, Tyves said:

thanks to you too... but I took the selection tool and it was magnified so it were exactly 1x5 px.

Pixel selections are just areas of the workspace that may, or may not, contain pixels. For example, you can open a new document with no layers in it, and you can still make a pixel selection.

In order to create your 1x5 Asset you need a pixel object/layer that is 1x5 pixels, not a pixel selection. Or, you need a pixel object/layer that is larger than 1x5 px, and you need to make your 1x5 selection from the pixels in that that object.

You also need to recognize that a pixel layer only contains actual pixels where it contains data. So you will probably need to start with a filled layer at least 1x5 px in size, and then erase the pixel content you want to be empty, or give it a very low opacity.

-- Walt
PC: