You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Patch tool isn't copying the image as is. Almost like it's got a blend on it.

I hope this is a stupid me thing -I'm new to using the patch tool since I thought it was basically a stamp/clone tool only different so maybe I'm missing something because I can't get it to work consistently . Some times it's correct other times it is almost a blurred transparency, other times it turns dark almost a negative of what I rolled over but most of the time it's like here, I get a overexposed version of what I selected. This patch for the boys hat is suppose to be from his blue shorts. It's some what like it's got a blend on it some where but I can't find it to shut it off.

I thought it was the hardware accelerator but turning it on and off and restarting didn't seem to improve anything.

Thanks for any advice.

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎4/‎6/‎2021
OS build    19045.3086
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

Processor    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics       3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (5.91 GB usable)
Device ID    7E73E226-816B-4557-B3CE-DE7BB0EFE693
Product ID    00325-81911-10548-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen support

AMD Radeon (TM) Vega 8 Graphics
AP V 2.1.0

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, CRWillow said:

This patch for the boys hat is suppose to be from his blue shorts. It's some what like it's got a blend on it some where but I can't find it to shut it off.

This is not a tool I use much or understand very well, but from the Patching help topic there is this:

Patching, like healing, blends the target pixels with the sample pixels by matching the texture, tone, and transparency of the sample pixels with the target pixels. 

So from that I take it that it is a blending effect, which I suppose means there is no way to shut it off.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Perhaps you should be using the Clone Tool, rather than the Patch Tool?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, CRWillow said:

I guess I'll keep trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

If you're trying to copy (as the topic title indicates) that's Cloning, not Patching. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, CRWillow said:

I guess I'll keep trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

I have experimented with your image (screenshot) using the Patch Tool, with the Selection as Target option.  I think the problem is that you have such a mix of colors in the boy's pants that the Patch Tool doesn't have enough to work with in a single color.  I made a short video to show you what I mean.  I made a new selection of the inside of the boy's hat (fresh territory) then I moved the mouse around so you could see the various things that could be picked up to fill that selection.  As you can see, until I moved to the background of the image where the colors are more or less the same, the Patch Tool tried its best and picked up all of the colors from the prospective patch.  Not what you wanted.  When I reached the background, I could successfully patch that into the inside of the hat.  

The Patch Tool works beautifully for certain situations, so don't give up on it.  Just not here.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Can you please explain what do you want to achieve? As already mentioned by the older answers, the patch tool is probably not what you want, and I doubt the clone tool is suitable. Patch and clone tool copy structure (patterns), and the patch tool tries to blend the colors with those of the surrounding area (destination). It is extremely powerful, but really needs a lot of training to master it.

One essential pre-condition is you normally need a source area much larger than your destination area, otherwise colors can go crazy.

next, for best results you need to overpaint destination area colors if they differ too much, if you want to avoid the blending effect. 
last but not least, you should always use the non-destructive workflow (new pixel layer, change source mode to current& below). This allows to repeat the process without destroying your image layer.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

In this case my goal was to have a the hat match that sort of matched the shorts. I ended up painting it with a 80% clone and paint brush. I just didn't understand why I get a bright flash when I hover over an area to patch. I guess it's a area size thing. I'll keep working with it and get better hopefully. Thank you all for your help.