You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File preview STILL not working in explorer or Affinity with OneDrive saved files (works with CorelDraw)

12 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Since it looks like you are opening work files directly on OneDrive, keep in mind that Serif has repeatedly recommended here on the forum (always in connection with the problem of damaged and lost files) to work on local drives, and to the cloud saves only for backup or file sharing.

You really need to re-read what I have written and look at the screenshots??? I am NOT trying to open files from the cloud on OneDrive. I have stated (repeatedly) that ALL of my files are stored on LOCAL drives and are BACKED up to the cloud using OneDrive. 

@dre.

Here's a couple of screenshots of AP. Do you see the difference? It's as plain as day. Affinity apps use File Explorer for the File>Open dialogs. It uses it's own UI for the Recent dialogs. There's no similarity, none. Just like having 2 separate apps.

Serif has already stated that they have went as far as they can on their side to get the thumbnails viewable, however it's up to MS to do their part. You keep saying Serif can, or should. Serif said no they can't, so that's the final word, not your baseless demands. It does not matter if Coreldraw can, their code is way different than what Serif used for the Affinity apps.

explor_vs_recent.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

13 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

@dre.

Here's a couple of screenshots of AP. Do you see the difference? It's as plain as day. Affinity apps use File Explorer for the File>Open dialogs. It uses it's own UI for the Recent dialogs. There's no similarity, none. Just like having 2 separate apps.

Serif has already stated that they have went as far as they can on their side to get the thumbnails viewable, however it's up to MS to do their part. You keep saying Serif can, or should. Serif said no they can't, so that's the final word, not your baseless demands. It does not matter if Coreldraw can, their code is way different than what Serif used for the Affinity apps.

explor_vs_recent.jpg

"Baseless Demands"? If something doesn't work at all in Windows it'd be baseless. If Corel and others can work with Microsoft then so can Serif. Your statement that CorelDraw "code is way different than what Serif used" (sic) is not what Serif state. Serif state that Corel and Microsoft worked together to get .CDR files to work. 

Choosing not to deal with such a fundamental issue with the operating system is incredibly small minded. It's also clear that these forums are not the place to get this issue resolved. Fanboy/girls and Trolls don't help anyone.  It's clear that Serif could make this work or they could at least be proactive rather than moaning that it's "Microsoft's problem not ours". It's the apathy and laissez faire attitude towards such a fundamental issue that's been there for more than 2 years that is most irksome. It's clear that Serif can't be bothered and that's not OK (despite the Fanboys arguing otherwise). If Serif did care then they'd complain to Microsoft and/or the EU/US trade bodies if MS refused to respond. Complaining to the EU/US trade bodies is 100% free to them (despite those who claim to know better). That's why they (EU/US monopoly complaint bodies) are there and fine companies like Microsoft if they behave in an anti-competitive manner. Plenty of other software companies have complained (and won) for far less. Serif complains that Corel and Microsoft hatched a plan to get CDR files to work but leave it at that? It's that limp-wristed response to this issue that offends me the  most. It's been 2+ years and someone at Serif should take ownership and act. 

Check your Settings>General tab, see if Save Thumbnails with Documents is checked. I just ran a test, and if I disable this, AP does not provide a thumbnail for the document file. In Recent and Open, there's no thumbnail showing. However once I enable it, and save the document, there's thumbnails.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

@dre. I have previously answered, and provided more than a reasonable amount of information regarding this issue in the separate thread you have posted in, linked below.

Users in this thread are not 'trolling' you by providing concise, correct information regarding the Affinity apps and integration with the OS File system. These are other Affinity users who are being kind enough to try and explain this further to you, even after receiving an official response from a moderator.

This is not the first time you have accused users of 'trolling' here on the Affinity forums, and to be rather frank with you I do not believe you completely understand the meaning or context of this word, in this regard. This is not 'trolling', simply because you do not like or agree with the responses being given.

I am locking this thread from further replies, as the question has been answered both here and in the second thread linked above. If there is new information to be provided, please do so in the original thread.