You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Photo Thumbnails

I have noticed this topic has been mentioned and found a topic that had degenerated into bashing Apple. I was not able to view thumbnails from my Sony Ar7M5 cameras but was able to import them into Affinity Photo.  Today I noticed that the thumbnails are now visible in Photo.  

However what I noticed when in Affinity V.2 (latest version) as well as the beta version, there is an interesting quirk.  

When importing thru the ‘Open’ icon in Affinity Photo and ‘Import from Photos’, the image thumbnails are still blacked out.  However when I drag and drop from Photos, the thumbnails are visible.  

I noticed with use of ‘Open’ icon, a long press on the blacked out thumbnail produces a fly out where the image is visible.  

I called Apple today but with the way that Photos is working today, this appears that it could be a bug in Affinity Photo

• Staff

Hi @p_mac,

Which version of iPadOS are you running?

I've just tried opening a RAW file from the same model camera and for me, while using 'Open From Photos' i see no thumbnail, I also get no thumbnail when I open the Photos app and when I double to edit the image in the Photos app, it also loads as blank.  So I'd be tempted to say this in an Apple issue.  Could you attach one of the images you show in the recording, as I'm puzzled why you see a Thumbnail in the Photos app and i don't. 

On 6/8/2023 at 12:49 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @p_mac,

Which version of iPadOS are you running?

I've just tried opening a RAW file from the same model camera and for me, while using 'Open From Photos' i see no thumbnail, I also get no thumbnail when I open the Photos app and when I double to edit the image in the Photos app, it also loads as blank.  So I'd be tempted to say this in an Apple issue.  Could you attach one of the images you show in the recording, as I'm puzzled why you see a Thumbnail in the Photos app and i don't. 

iPadOS 16.5 which is up to date.  

Using the latest version of Affinity Photo 2 beta 2.1.0(1799)

and Affinity Photo 2 v 2.1.0

I just discovered something that should be of interest.  In one set of photos I used full frame, In the 2nd set I used the crop sensor function.  In Apple photos both set show up but when using import from camera the full frame thumbnails are still blacked out.  I still think that this lies inside AP V2

_DSC2913.arw

_DSC2569.arw

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.34d16743e7f3cac6749c4d9b76c79897.jpeg

IMG_2173.thumb.jpeg.8d6c91a93cc1c9097cb42f9949157028.jpeg

IMG_2176.thumb.jpeg.00a2ccc32d4d773364d19e367e012d00.jpeg

Edited by p_mac
Clarity

8 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @p_mac,

See the attached screenshot.  These are both showing thumbnails for me in Affinity Photo 2. 

Which model iPad are you using?

I am using the iPad Pro third edition, an old one.  The photo of the airplane was imported on May 24, however any images that I import now show thumbnails.  There has been an update since then.  The image of the duck and ducklings that are recent is a larger file and the thumbnails are visible.  

I am going to take some uncompressed full frame shots to see if their thumbnails are visible.  Perhaps all of this has been resolved.  

You will notice that the Apple Photo shows all the thumbnails, however when I use the import form camera, the thumbnails are blacked out (video 1), but when I drag and drop they are visible.  It was that process that I was curious about.  Even though the thumbnails are not visible, a long press would reveal the image but it was kind of hit and miss and annoying.

Initially I had no way to view my files.  AP would import them easily but it was hit and miss to view the images just in a file.  The library app I was using did not recognize images from my camera so I scrambled to find one that I would use.  

Hopefully at some point serif will be able to incorporate a library system.  

More investigation to come.

Just an aside, the image of the trees and their reflection was a pano stitch (thumbnails were not visible) one on the raws files and it did it with perfection.  It was 3 handheld shots.  AP is awesome.. 😁

Edited by p_mac
Added comment at bottom

Just now, p_mac said:

could you please let me know how to address you “@stoker”

Type the @ sign and then start typing the username. Select the name from the popup list that you get.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, p_mac said:

Hey stoker could you please let me know how to address you “@stoker”

You’d need to spell the name correct. You are missing a “g” at the end.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
12 hours ago, p_mac said:

The black thumbnails occurred when the camera software was version 1.  After updating to version 2, there has been no problem.  I just imported uncompressed files with no difficulty to Photos and imported into AP both ways.  

So everything is all okay now and displaying thumbnails in Affinity?

On 6/14/2023 at 7:51 PM, p_mac said:

Hey stoker could you please let me know how to address you “@stoker”

On 6/15/2023 at 12:20 AM, DM1 said:

You’d need to spell the name correct. You are missing a “g” at the end.🙂

As Walt advised:

On 6/14/2023 at 7:53 PM, walt.farrell said:

Type the @ sign and then start typing the username. Select the name from the popup list that you get.

Simply typing @stokerg doesn’t have the desired effect. You don’t need to type the entire username, you just need to type enough of the name to make it appear on the list so that you can click on it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)