You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Styles after new update 2.1.0

I have just updated one of the affinity (designer) on imac 10.15.7 and opened up a long term project which uses the parchment style. All the colours have changed! out of 34 odd colour styles most are a yellow green, black and a blue. I want them back. How do I do regain back pre 2.1. I had them in one and manage to upload them and work in 2 so not sure why now. I have quit a number of styles I use so have yet to check them all.

Edited by Myke
missing words and letters in words

What version/release of Designer were you using before?

Are you seeing the issue in the project itself, or in the Styles panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

last version update 2.04 which has been very slow to load and effects my internet browser and computer if I have both on

In project and in styles Parchment. Not checked out others all done extensive check yet in Publisher and photo before I update them tomorrow.

Thanks.

I don't seem to have a Style named Parchment. Is that one you installed from somewhere (and where)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I got from a list that I think is from a forum topic (majority of my styles from there)

Cannot find on forum. Someone had made a list and links to all Styles, assets, brushes on forum topics (Why it never was marked so it sat at top of all topics in resources and get to be updated I dont know.) rest got when it was on website then taken down. called Sw-parchments 1.6

• Staff

Hi @Myke,

I've done a quick test and applied a mix of different styles to shapes, saved the file, updated Affinity 2.1 and the same file opens and looks correct, as do the Styles in the Style panel.

Ideally we could do with copy of the original Style, so i can try the update process with those styles installed, but i'm struggling to find them here on our Forums :( 

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi @Myke,

I've done a quick test and applied a mix of different styles to shapes, saved the file, updated Affinity 2.1 and the same file opens and looks correct, as do the Styles in the Style panel.

Ideally we could do with copy of the original Style, so i can try the update process with those styles installed, but i'm struggling to find them here on our Forums :( 

Here is the Parchment Styles file I found several years ago in Resources.  I believe it is the file to which @Myke refers above.  Hope this helps.

Parchment.afstyles

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@stokerg  This anomaly has happened here too.  I had not used the Parchment Styles while testing the Beta2's so didn't find this.  When I imported the Parchment Styles into my updated Publisher 2.2 just now, I got the same mostly green styles as did @Myke.  I then looked at Photo 2.0.3 (not yet updated) and found that the Parchment Styles were also mostly green.  So this happened with the transition from v1 to v2.  I know that the styles were created back with v1.6.  Is there some way to update that file?  V.1 on the left.  V.2.2 on the right.

918159385_Screenshot2023-05-18at15_23_55.thumb.png.bf823cfecf096265f454510a50c56b5b.png       424122893_Screenshot2023-05-18at15_24_56.png.e430412616703eb2992d918a275411c3.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

@stokerg further to this issue, I tried making the Parchment styles all over again, using Photo v. 1.10.5 to create a series of coloured squares, filling them with the Parchment styles, and then saving the document. I opened the document in Photo v.2.0.3, and then created a new Styles Category, Parchment.afstyles. I then clicked on each image and chose Style from Selection. Everything seemed fine. All 33 styles had an icon and each had the proper colour.  When done, I exported the Styles.  But when I tried to import my new Parchment file, it produced the same mostly green set of styles shown above.  So something is amiss with the actual Styles in the v. 1 file.  I will try again, making a PNG of each square filled with the original parchment style, and then placing it with the fill tool and creating a style (the long way around). That may work. In the meantime, I thought someone could possibly use my files to see if it is possible to figure out what happened, or whether old files (v.1.6) simply cannot be modernised for 2.2. The .afphoto file attached only shows 30 of the colours.  Didn't think you needed the second file for the last three.  Hope this all makes sense.

Parchment styles rectangles.afphoto

Parchment.afstyles

Well, that is the trick.  I have made a sample of the first four styles, creating the PNG, then using the fill tool to place the PNG as a bitmap fill to a rectangle.  Then used add Style from Selection.   I saved that small style category, and then tried importing it into Publisher V2.1 (the only one I have updated so far.)  It worked!  

1059425048_Screenshot2023-05-18at17_00_21.png.97edcf24c5c6dd6cd1f5e0e7ba9e90b7.png

@MykeI will make an entire new Styles category for you tomorrow for Parchment, and post it in RESOURCES, with a note to everybody who may have used this in the past so they can continue with their work.   

I tested all Styles in designer 2.1 thank goodness with 40 odd it is just this style. Made up test doc slapped all parchment style colours in it on publisher 2.04 then opened up Designer 2.1 (since Study link will not work says to buy to update) Same example as @jmwellborn added. I went back to publisher opened up the test which looks the same but Style preview of parchments are now like 2.1 (see image example) so from now on in 2.04 they will work like that over previous colour.

EDITED Also a note ipad version has changed as well, though I do not use cause I cannot link them with main imac version and also not liking layout on right.

@jmwellborn It be much appreciated if you have version that works in 2.1, these are my favourite out of all styles (and Metallics) for my project. I kept the others for they are getting harder to find or search for, not many places on net. Wish Affinity would keep all free stuff somewhere as a resource to help community, new comers and let others who make or tinker add to (or approved by affinity)

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 10.59.31 AM.png

22 minutes ago, Myke said:

I tested all Styles in designer 2.1 thank goodness with 40 odd it is just this style. Made up test doc slapped all parchment style colours in it on publisher 2.04 then opened up Designer 2.1 (since Study link will not work says to buy to update) Same example as @jmwellborn added. I went back to publisher opened up the test which looks the same but Style preview of parchments are now like 2.1 (see image example) so from now on in 2.03 they will work like that over previous colour.

@jmwellborn It be much appreciated if you have version that works in 2.1, these are my favourite out of all styles (and Metallics) for my project. I kept the others for they are getting harder to find or search for, not many places on net. Wish Affinity would keep all free stuff somewhere as a resource to help community, new comers and let others who make or tinker add to (or approved by affinity)

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 10.59.31 AM.png

As noted above, I will make a complete working version of the Parchment styles for you tomorrow.  I will post it in Resources, and will give you a heads up that it is there!  I use the Parchment styles often as well.  Have always liked them!  I note that your version has 34 styles.  Mine has only 33.  I will try to see which I am missing.

18 hours ago, Myke said:

Oh 34 version was my attempt to change colour on one of them, forgotten what for, thought I deleted it :P

For fun I have added a Style 34 with a name instead of a style number, just to see what happens if one uses one of the styles (I used 33) and then fiddles with Curves Adjustments.  Amazing what one can do by changing the red, blue, and green sliders.  It should be deleted if you want the correct styles category.  I have created this new file using Photo V. 2.0.3, and then tried importing it into Photo v.2.1.0.  Looks as though it is going to work!  Please look in the RESOURCES section of the forums for "Parchment Styles for v.2", since I don't want to use up my available forum space posting the same thing twice.  I hope this gets you back on track. (It was only a matter of time before I would have stumbled upon that same dreary set of green icons with howls of anguish!) 

I have a styles issue also. I made 18 styles of wood samples to use in proofs of wood inlays. in Designer 2.0 they look the right colors and saturation. In 2.1 the colors are wrong and the saturation has gone. Also many of the styles have the same, incorrect image. Screen captures attached.

==============

EDIT- I just tried exporting the "Wood" styles I created in v2.0, then deleting the "Wood" styles in c2.1. I then imported the styles in 2.1 and they appear correctly! Still seems to be a bug in the v2.1 using styles from v 2.0.

==============

EDIT #2; I QUIT Designer after the import, and the "Wood" styles reverted to the washed-out and incorrect swatch as shown on the right below.

==============

Designer v2 v2.1 comparison.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 9:14 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @jmwellbornand @Myke

We've just got a bug logged with the Dev team about this issue and the afstyles file :) As they should have just worked in V2 but clearly they haven't.  So hopefully once this bug has been fixed, we shouldn't see a change with the styles in the next update (i hope..)

Have just downloaded Photo 2.1.1.1847.  The Styles Panel is now almost completely empty.  The Default comes through, but almost everything else is a complete blank.  Examples attached.

More information:  After posting the above, I have downloaded Designer 2.1.1(1847) and Publisher 2.1.1 (1847).  The issue is not present in either.  All Styles categories populate correctly.  Further, using StudioLink, the styles categories populate correctly in both Designer and Photo!  There is something odd going on here!

Screenshot2023-06-14at15_50_06.png.c8a4043d403bd01be72516a112ed44e6.png

Screenshot2023-06-14at15_51_10.png.71a7393f393cdc6edb2b3e8cef0a9b98.png

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Have just downloaded Photo 2.1.1.1847.  The Styles Panel is now almost completely empty.

Do you mean the thumbnails are missing or literally that the categories have no styles in them at all?

For what very little it is worth, the styles panel seems to populate correctly for me in Photo RC 2.1.1.1847.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

After posting the above, I have downloaded Designer 2.1.1(1847)

I have looked for the version you mention. Is this a "hidden" beta? I'd like to try it also to see if it solves my styles problem. I have heard no updates since reporting this problem to the developers and getting one reply.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean the thumbnails are missing or literally that the categories have no styles in them at all?

For what very little it is worth, the styles panel seems to populate correctly for me in Photo RC 2.1.1.1847.

Having shut Photo Beta 2.1.1.1847 down and turned my desktop off, I fired it up again just now.  And all Styles are in order in Photo.  The issue arose when I first downloaded and installed the new Photo Beta, and began experimenting with various things.  At that time, nothing in any of my Style categories (and it was almost all of them) which only showed a name (but not the coloured icon) would function.  All other panels (assets, brushes, swatches, etc.) were populated correctly.  And Designer and Publisher did not have the problem.

I should note that I had removed the Beta 2's for all three apps from my system after V.2.1 was ready for update.  So today I had to go to my account, download the older Beta 2 dmgs, install each again, and then update each to the new 2.1.1.1847.  So it is perfectly possible that the Styles issue in Photo was present before.

In any case, I now have all three apps with the Styles Panel working as it should.

@patricr  Here is a link to the announcement of this Beta.

I've had lots of interesting events in trying the v2.1.1 (1847)

The styles in Designer, have not tried any other app in the suite, yet, and are still not producing the expected results.

My original problem was that after the update to v2.1, my styles of wood captures were washed out in saturation, and many of the wood colors and patterns were duplicated.

The new v2.1.1 (1847) has the same problem, after importing the styles from v2.o and 2.1, I still get the same problems. It appeared at first that v2.1.1 (1847) worked properly, but after quitting the v2.1.1 (1847) app and reopening it, the same duplication of wood patterns and colors appeared- however the wood that was duplicated was different.

I will attach the captures of what I am seeing. I know the sequence is a bit hard to follow, so tomorrow morning [past my bedtime now...] I will create a pdf that I hope will document the sequence of errors I have seen with the different versions of Designer.

Designer beta v2.1.1 (1847) styles import from v2.1.jpeg

Designer styles imported from v2.0 into v2.1.1 (1847).jpeg

Designer styles inv2.1.1 (1847) after quit-then repoen.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @Myke,

I quoted your comment, because I wanted to keep mine in this same topic, just in case others have been having problems too.  Just wanted to report that with the updates today to Beta 2.2.0.1903 in all three apps, the original V1 Parchment Styles (which could not be imported into V2 and V2.1) have just imported perfectly.

In fact, the entire Styles Panel is importing almost instantaneously and absolutely flawlessly. I had been having a great deal of trouble trying to import new Styles — often the wheel of death would have to be stopped with Force Quit, only to discover that a new style had actually been imported.  At other times, a new Style (not a v1 vintage) would import with only some of the icons visible. At all times the panel was sluggish.

Thank you so much for this fix.  When 2.2.0 comes out, I predict a lot of Very Happy Campers — er, Customers. 

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I quoted your comment, because I wanted to keep mine in this same topic, just in case others have been having problems too.  Just wanted to report that with the updates today to Beta 2.2.0.1903 in all three apps, the original V1 Parchment Styles (which could not be imported into V2 and V2.1) have just imported perfectly.

In fact, the entire Styles Panel is importing almost instantaneously and absolutely flawlessly. I had been having a great deal of trouble trying to import new Styles — often the wheel of death would have to be stopped with Force Quit, only to discover that a new style had actually been imported.  At other times, a new Style (not a v1 vintage) would import with only some of the icons visible. At all times the panel was sluggish.

Thank you so much for this fix.  When 2.2.0 comes out, I predict a lot of Very Happy Campers — er, Customers. 

I just tried Beta v2.2.0 (1903) and my wood image styles do import and display properly. Thanks for the alert!

EDIT: Mac OS 13.4.1 c on MacBook Pro M1.

Edited by patricr
More information added