You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to avoid this white canvas outline in Designer

Hello everybody,

Like the title says is there a way to get rid of this white line around the canvas ? I know it's there to indicate the canvas border but I know where are the limit of my canvas and don't need it anymore because it's distraying when you want to get an idea of the final render... I tried the clip to canvas option checked and unchecked tricks from previous thread on the forum but it's still there.

Windows 10 AFDesigner v2.0.4

Clip to canvas unchecked then checked:
image.png.c55e46f0cec45c9b50cb00aeab4756d9.pngimage.png.43dc1f4c32185981be6882cfbb4c1a27.png

Edited by SVVector

As far as I know, there is no way to turn that off, certainly nothing under Preferences > User Interface.

All I could suggest is you move it away from the canvas temporarily.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Maybe I'm missing something but I do not get a while line around the canvas in AD V2 on my Mac.

Can you maybe upload your document so I can get a better idea of what's happening?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, SVVector said:

Here is the file:

FWIW, when I open this file on my Mac, there is no white outline. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, when I open this file on my Mac, there is no white outline. 

Is your 'Background Grey Level' slider set quite high in the UI preferences? At higher levels, the canvas outline fades out so it's indistinguishable from the background, unless the layer content overflows/exceeds the canvas boundaries, at which point I can always see the canvas border on Mac.

15 minutes ago, NathanC said:

At higher levels, the canvas outline fades out so it's indistinguishable from the background, unless the layer content overflows/exceeds the canvas boundaries, at which point I can always see the canvas border on Mac.

I saw and wondered about the same in another users thread, where his sample files always had that same behavior for me under ADe V1 (the canvas rect on his samples was always visable for me), but V1 sample files I created instead on my system didn't suffered from that behavior). - See:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

Is your 'Background Grey Level' slider set quite high in the UI preferences?

It is set to about 50%. If I set it to very dark I do see the outline.

Affinity Photo 

I can get the canvas edge to not show by having the View > View Mode: Clip to canvas active, The workspace background I can only get to RGB 34,34,34

image.thumb.png.878ede733bdd0bd5834229f8f0d5c634.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ooh I did it workspace background is RGB 38,38,38 :D
image.thumb.png.3497622c93469c05b791fd81f4ad6f98.png

From my side on windows I can't get rid of it, if other Mac users can quickly test the file and tell us if they have the white outline around the canvas ?

As a customer I would like to hear a word from the serif team, is it a bug or I'm facing a bad user experience it's an important thing to consider imo

Ps: thanks Firstdefence (and other) for your test

• 6 months later...

Hello, we are now at version 2.3 of the suite (Affinity Designer works really well) and I think it would be appropriate to resolve, and very quickly if possible, this visual “bug” which still bothers me so much . I definitely don't understand what the point of “seeing” this damn outline is!...

Bonjour, nous en sommes aujourd'hui à la version 2.3 de la suite (Affinity Designer fonctionne vraiment très bien) et je pense qu'il serait opportun de résoudre, et très rapidement si possible, ce “bug” visuel qui me gène toujours autant. Je ne comprends définitivement pas à quoi cela sert de “voir” ce satané contour !...

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

3 hours ago, SVVector said:

I agree, looks like they still don't solved this white line artifact and for a design application it seems the basic to me

FWIW, on my Mac in the current 2.3.0 version of AD, with Clip to Canvas enabled, the white outline does not show.

Clip enabled: clip.jpg.c4415657aa64dd73b9489c0ef148b8ff.jpg Clip disabled: noclip.jpg.527a8f5820f03d494073ac318e6b7764.jpg

So maybe this is now a Windows only behavior?

Affinity Photo 

Oops!... I had completely overlooked this option: I confirm (macOS), by activating the “Clip to Canvas” option, the white net around the Canvas disappears, but the Pasteboard is therefore hidden!...
It would remain for programmers to propose a third option to remove the famous white line while making the Pasteboard visible.
But OK !…

@Palatino: “Yes, sometimes the border is annoying. Then I simply place a slightly larger rectangle than the page in the background colour under my graphic. And the border is gone. It really isn't rocket science.”
This manipulation has never worked on my files (macOS). But maybe I'm doing it wrong.. 😗

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

15 minutes ago, SVVector said:

It's slightly better with clip to canvas (which I don't like to activate personally) but the line is still present:

It is not present in the Mac 2.3.0 version, so like I mentioned, this may be a Windows only issue for CTC....

Affinity Photo