You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer does not load my files anymore

Hi,

Over the last few weeks Affinity designer has taken a long time to open and also a long time to open files. Now it simply refuses to open a number of files. This is a critical issue as it is affecting my paid clients work. Please see video here 👉🏻 https://share.cleanshot.com/Hl1v3tm0. I have even deleted the app and downloaded in via the App Store. Deleted again and download via website. I have restarted my computer multiple times. Affinity just won't open a number of files. Please let me know if you need more information.

I am on Mac mini (M1).

Affinity Designer and Mac are on latest updates.

Sorry I should note this has nothing to do with the beta. Not sure how it has ended up being posted here.

@Dan C , @Sean P and @Chris B would you be able to look at this thread as soon as possible. I'm unable to do my paid work without Affinity. Thank you.

Hi @davidlower8, are you able to upload one of the problematic files so we can take a look to see if there is anything obvious going on here and whether we experience the same issue?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

170Mb should upload without issue so maybe there's an issue with the server at the moment... I'll send you a DM with my email address so you can WeTranser the file if that's good for you...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

No problem, I've amended the post and have removed the private file...

Thank you for the files... both opened instantly for me without any immediate issues and exporting several artboards from both files went without issue, however, I am seeing a large memory drain after opening the files which is something I've only seen before on one other file so I'm wondering if there could be a memory leak related issue? I think perhaps someone from the Dev team would need to take a look at the files to confirm...

There's nothing immediately obvious causing issues with your embedded files but the memory drain is odd... for me, after the files are opened, GB of memory drain rapidly so something doesn't feel quite right.

I've uploaded your righteous_artboard.afdesign file here so someone from the moderation team can take a look and then pass your file on to the Dev team to investigate further...

The mod team can also provide a private dropbox link so both files or at least the other file can be uploaded as well so they can take a look at what may be causing the issue you're experiencing...

20 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

Could this be related to my recent observations?

I have zero issues opening the files using Right-Click open or File Open from within the app so I do think this is perhaps a different issue. The files in question are both V2 so can't confirm in V1...

After a system reboot I'm no longer seeing the memory drain from before so slightly unsure what's going on but will keep an eye on the files to see if anything else presents itself...

@Hangman can I ask a favour? On the righteous artboard there should be a Twitter image saying something like ”love never fails”. Would you be willing to export that as a jpg and send it to me. I need to use it this morning. I literally can't open the file so I'm stuck until this is fixed. In fact, I can't even do my day job now.

Hi @davidlower8, that's no problem at all, however I can't locate anything on any of the artboards that says ”love never fails”. I've searched every artboard but still nothing...

That's a bit disturbing... I don't know how many elements are missing from the files you uploaded but if it helps I can rebuild them in a new file for you so you've not lost everything?

Just let me know if that would be of any help or use...

Comments with screenshots deleted...

Possibly a good idea if you reply to this post requesting a private DropBox link copying @Dan C , @Sean P and @Chris B into the message, then I think this would be picked up quite quickly tomorrow when they're back in the office.

@davidlower8, out of interest have you tried a factory reset of Designer by holding the Ctrl Key on startup and then clicking Clear Data when the dialogue window pops up.

Another thing you could try which has been causing issues is to delete the mru.dat file located here...

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/mru.dat

Let me know if wither of these allow you to reopen your files...

Ok I can try that and I'll get back to you. I added the people you mentioned above to the original question. Would you be willing to delete my file from your earlier comments. I should note resetting factory settings is not required since I did a fresh download of the product. I suspect deleting the file will not do anything either.

File deleted...

Makes sense about the factory settings though I know there was an issue with the mru.dat file in 2.0.4 and deleting it did seem to fix a lot of issues so definitely worth a go...

Okay, well at least we've ruled that out...

I'm running Monterey 12.6.1, so I don't know if this is pointing towards a Ventura specific issue...

The only other thing I can think of trying if your work is time critical is to download the one of the 2.1 Beta's though I would avoid the latest v2.1.0.1769 because there is a bug preventing StudioLink from working but the 2.1.0.1742 Beta's are available here.

Affinity Designer macOS Beta 2.1.0.1742

Affinity Photo macOS Beta 2.1.0.1742

Affinity Publisher macOS Beta 2.1.0.1742

These run alongside the retail version, i.e., both run independendtly of each other so it might at least determine whether the issue is with the retail version on Ventura or if there is a system specific issue affecting your setup.

Other than that I think it's going to need either Dan, Sean or Chris to come back with some options and things to try so you can get Designer to open your files...

Final thought, what did you add to the file just prior to it crashing, just in case that is in someway linked to the issue you're experiencing...

• Staff

Hi @davidlower8,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - my apologies for the delayed response as I was not working this weekend.

Firstly, I'd like to request a copy of this file to investigate further, can you please upload this to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/fqvGuRS9vdLEcod8b11H

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.

Secondly, I can see that the files are stored in an 'iCloud' location and our team recommend opening/saving files to a 'local' location, then uploading a copy of your document to the cloud for backup purposes.

If you copy/move this file from an iCloud folder to a non-synced location (such as your desktop) does the file now open for you as expected?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Dan C , @Sean P and @Chris B Can one of you please look at this. It has been over a week. I was able to use the beta version up until this morning. But my beta version has no come down with the exact same problem. I can't stress enough how important this is. All my client work is locked behind this issue and I can't get work done. I did send Dan the files he requested but as per his email he isn't around until the 10th. Thank you.

Also to note since I did move over my work to beta - I can't use beta files with the normal version of the software. So now that is a problem as well.

• Staff

I've sent you a DM with some resaved files that are working fine for me.

Please try what Dan suggested and work locally as opposed to loading directing from the cloud and saving directly to the cloud whilst we try and work out what is happening.

Finally, I'd try the soft reset that Hangman suggested. Installing a fresh copy of the app does not necessarily clear out any folders that may be causing an issue. So please launch the app with ctrl held down and click Clear when prompted.