You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Endlessly stuck on Loading Document for a specific document

@jubarbie,

Having recreated your file path I'm having no issues either opening your Designer file or saving to the location so I'm a little unsure what is going on here but hopefully someone else will have some ideas and can suggest a few things to try...

If you create a new folder, place your file in it and reboot your system...

Documents/Cine/Josephine Ange Gardien/2023/ANIMS/New Folder Name/JAG_68.afdesign

Do you still have the same issue opening the file and likewise, if you rename the file in the Finder still the same issue?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@jubarbie, just a little one and might not help but have you tried deleting the mru.dat file?  I’ve had a few other problems where this seems to resolve the issue.

Easiest way to do that is to select 'Open AffinityFonts Folder in Finder' from the preferences menu, navigate to the application support folder and delete the MRU.dat file. 

Worth a shot?

Yes it’s safe to delete. I believe it regenerates afterwards and that it’s a file containing Most Recently Used settings and it’s a fairly common file in other software (SQL server, etc).

I’m not certain (I’m sure @Hangmanmight correct me on this) but it’s similar to clearing the cache in a web browser. I’ve seen a lot of posts where simply closing Designer, deleting the file and reopening Designer resolves a chunk of problems. 

Hi @jubarbie and @beardedcraig,

That is pretty much my take on the mru.dat file as well and it has indeed been the cause of a number of issues which are then resolved once the file is deleted so hopefully @jubarbie this may also fix the issue you're seeing but let us know either way... :)

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem. The steps to reproduce are exactly as described by @beardedcraig; the file initially lived in my iCD before I decided to move it to a local disk to adhere to best practices. 

Unfortunately, his method to resolve the issue does not work, nor does deleting the mru.dat file. There are embedded images in the file, as predicted by other users.

image.png.4e9e8c37b9c4bce8fa98e666befcbf96.png BROKEN-FILE-MMVF-JAAN.afdesign

Hi @jaanavarro,

I'm really not sure what is causing your file not to load. It loads instantly for me and it's a very basic file in terms of the content that makes it up.

Could you provide some more details with regards to your OS, i.e., which version are you running how much RAM you have, and the version of Designer used to create the file, e.g., v1.10.6?

Can you also confirm that you can happily open other Designer documents without issue?

I've opened and resaved the file and have attached it below. Could you confirm whether or not you are able to open this file?

BROKEN-FILE-MMVF-JAAN-New.afdesign

On 8/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, Hangman said:

Hi @jaanavarro,

I'm really not sure what is causing your file not to load. It loads instantly for me and it's a very basic file in terms of the content that makes it up.

Could you provide some more details with regards to your OS, i.e., which version are you running how much RAM you have, and the version of Designer used to create the file, e.g., v1.10.6?

Can you also confirm that you can happily open other Designer documents without issue?

I've opened and resaved the file and have attached it below. Could you confirm whether or not you are able to open this file?

BROKEN-FILE-MMVF-JAAN-New.afdesign

Sorry for the late reply. I’m running macOS Monterey on an ARM MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM. I’m able to open other v2 files without issue and will check whether I can open the new attached file. Unfortunately I’ve lost the info regarding the v1 version the broken file was created in. Thanks 

Edited by jaanavarro

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same situation. I'm stuck trying to open a document with embedded images that I keep on iCloud. I haven't moved the file recently, however, it just stopped working since last time I opened it. I've tried the steps suggested in the thread to no avail.

If someone wants to take a look at the file, please send a DM or share a dropbox link here. I can't share the file publicly.

I'm running Designer 2.2 for MacOS. I've sent the file to a friend to open it on their M2 MacBook, but it's stuck loading there too.

You can disregard the last post. I just got the file opened on the M2 after trying for a while. 

If someone from Serif is interested in troubleshooting, you're still welcome to get in touch. I'll be happy to send the file.

@Leigh I just saw your recent pinned post and it sounds like the exact issue I was having, except I'm stuck on Monterey 12.6.8. The M2 that was able to open the file is running Ventura 13.2.1. It also took several minutes of letting it sit and load.

• Staff
On 10/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, Megnusin said:

You can disregard the last post. I just got the file opened on the M2 after trying for a while. 

If someone from Serif is interested in troubleshooting, you're still welcome to get in touch. I'll be happy to send the file.

@Leigh I just saw your recent pinned post and it sounds like the exact issue I was having, except I'm stuck on Monterey 12.6.8. The M2 that was able to open the file is running Ventura 13.2.1. It also took several minutes of letting it sit and load.

Thanks for tagging me. I can see that Gareth is currently investing in your other thread.