You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There are lines on borders of shapes. There is no stroke on objects. I know that I can turn off anti-aliasing, but then shapes are rough.
These lines are visible even after exporting to raster or vector. I had this problem even in V1. I didn't find on Forum other solution than anti-aliasing.

image.png.2422560c4e96a32af2bfee6d06955c68.png
Is there any way to get rid of these lines without manually cover tens of these coffee beans by other whole shapes? (It is a pattern so I can't use whole beans. I can't add them together too, because most of them disappearing.)

It is really annoying...

Can you upload the afdesign file?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

3 hours ago, Radosław said:

I can't add them together too, because most of them disappearing.)

This shape is very simple to create, e.g. ellipse minus line after expanding stroke. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

This shape is very simple to create, e.g. ellipse minus line after expanding stroke. 

It's not a problem. I've created this coffee bean icon. Problem is when I want to crate pattern like this or join other shapes like rectangles with different color, so I can't add them together because one of two colors take over second shape.

The „frame“ has fractional size. Use only integer position and size. 

65AD89A5-C181-40BA-B42C-DDFE4756A579.png

Same file after removing fractional position/size: no unwanted lines. 

CFF2FC4B-3AAB-4B89-82A1-1E914EBA1A3C.png

No, this is a rendering artifact in vector view mode. There is no gap in pixel view mode or export as bitmap. 

Why do you use a bean cut into 4 pieces? You  create the pattern from a bean centered, this would avoid the issue independent from size/position

3 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

No, this is a rendering artifact in vector view mode. There is no gap in pixel view mode or export as bitmap. 

I can see lines in program, but after exporting to png there's no longer lines. But still in exported svg.

4 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Why do you use a bean cut into 4 pieces? You  create the pattern from a bean centered, this would avoid the issue independent from size/position

I didn't know the way to do this from one bean. I need to do some research.

18 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Ok. I did a pattern in that way, without beans in corners, but there is still problem with lines in exported vectors.

Thank you for your help.

image.png.26d51f12cd3a904229f9e938cc8a82cf.png

• Staff

@Radosław Are you still using your original file or the one @NotMyFault provided for you when exporting out to SVG? If original have you adjusted to use only integer position and sizing?

@NotMyFault outlines the issue in this post and offers a workaround, which includes turning off antialiasing within the blend options of the selected layer.  It's also something that occurs in other vector based apps as well, they have different methods in how they handle it.

How are you then viewing the exported SVG file?

@Lee D I apologise. I was thinking that it's problem only with Affinity Designer, but I see that probably it's just vector's thing. For example in Inkscape these lines are too.

I'm relatively new to vector. It's unbelievable that everyone are dealing with this manually adding additional shape under or over every joined shapes in project for non-rasterised work. It's best technique I guess.

• 1 year later...

I'm having this issue too with just about every design where there are objects placed (and snapped) next to others. It looks fine in the application when editing, but when I export (and the export window itself) I get lines between objects. V2.4.2

Designer_PXWYfxOc7N.png

fractional positions or size of layers?

If you upload the actual afdesign file we can check.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:34 PM, NotMyFault said:

fractional positions or size of layers?

Both. Check out the Transform panel in the attached screenshot (click to enlarge) @NotMyFault 

ADe_fractional_positions.thumb.png.5794e1dccd1898e2847fdf604619378d.png

1 hour ago, ziplock9000 said:

I've boiled it down to two objects that still do this. They have integer dimensions in MM. Document is integer in mm.

When exporting to raster files like PNG or JPG pixels are important not mm.
Here you go i fixed your file → Line between objects-fixed.afdesign

It was enough to change the vertical position (Y in the transform panel) of the object from point 2 on screenshot above (red roof) to whole integer without decimals and snap the rectangle object to its boinding box. The result will be no more unwanted lines in the JPG export.

And below is the exported file (JPG) as you can see no unwanted lines there (click to enlarge)↓

Linebetweenobjects-fixed.jpg.cb7211c1f0327d843341ae008fe80595.jpg

39 minutes ago, bbrother said:

When exporting to raster files like PNG or JPG pixels are important not mm.

I see thanks for getting to the bottom of this terrible issue..

So not only does everything have to be integers, but it has to be integers in a unit scale I'm not even using for my design! Crazy. 

I'm a Senior Software Engineer by trade who's worked on game engines which often use vectors internally in 2D and 3D. These fractional issues for alignment have been a solved problem for decades. The actual design render works perfectly in AD. It's just simply not good enough. I should not have to move objects around that are mathematically perfectly touching for the export to behave correctly. Converting from MM to any other unit does not change this.

Thanks for finding the issue.

@ziplock9000 SVG and PNG or JPG are two different worlds.
<xml> elements and mathematical descriptions of shapes vs pixels. As a software engineer you should be familiar with this topic.

27 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

The actual design render works perfectly in AD. It's just simply not good enough. I should not have to move objects around that are mathematically perfectly touching for the export to behave correctly.

That's not how it works. They where mathematicaly perfectly but not pixel perfectly.
If you would export to svg that would be fine but not when exporting to png or jpg.
From what you write, I see that you still have a lot to learn. Have a nice day @ziplock900🖐️

35 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

I should not have to move objects around that are mathematically perfectly touching for the export to behave correctly

There are two cultures clashing.

Affinity apps are „creative“ tools, not CAD, 3D, math, architecture, etc tools.

One culture wants and insists of smooth layer blending using anti-aliasing in the pixel / bitmap dimension.

Another culture needs perfect physical units like mm, inch etc.

Some need pixel perfect design.

Some only care about vectors.

you can’t have it all at once.

If using affinity apps, you need to learn what works natively, what works with some compromise, and where you need to switch to a different tool.