You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clearing Memory?

So I’m trying my best to keep my iPad Air 64GB from getting clogged up with files and apps - but I just went to check me iPad Storage (which for some strange reason the geniuses at Apple have decided to omit this information from the Files and I have to check the settings now) and I’ve Designer V2 taking up about 35GB of space and V1 using about 6GB

Something to do with the Sandbox I’m guessing

Anyway my iPad is now maxxed out so any clues from anyone as to how to get rid of some crap would be appreciated?

A few ideas...

Don't keep files in the Sandbox, for one. Save them to the cloud unless you're actively working on them, and then Close them from the application home screen so they disappear. 

Don't keep a lot of Assets in the Assets panel. Export them as files, saved in the cloud, and Place them when you need to use them in a document. 

Don't keep a lot of brushes installed that you don't commonly use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I save to my iPad and the Cloud - I have no ide where the Sandbox is - because weird iPadOS or something

I just looked in the settings and there’s two options in the iPad Storage section if you select individual apps - Offload App and Delete App - Offload App appears (so far as I can tell) to delete the App and keep all data and files related to it whereas Delete App deletes both the app AND all the files (which any sane person would probably want to delete themselves) - because that’s all completely clear - sometimes I think the developers at Apple are either trolling us or they’re just completely mad

I don’t know what brushes I don’t commonly use - I’m still in the experimental stage so need them all there (I think though to be honest most of the brush variations could be scaled down a bit to a few and start getting to grips with the settings more)

How do I clear the Sandbox on V1 apps ? (Which I still have installed just in case V2 develops an update bug or something - I could probably just get rid of them now really as I’m getting used to V2 and finding the interface a bit easier to use in some ways)

What’s the best way to keep the Sandbox clear (once I’m confidently backed up with al my work)? V1 and V2

Where do the brush sets get stored once they’re downloaded and installed are they still saved somewhere else taking up space? It’s absolutely not clear to me because iPadOS is just a confusing mess! (I mean I love my iPad really but the developers at Apple can go screw themelves)

2 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I save to my iPad and the Cloud - I have no ide where the Sandbox is - because weird iPadOS or something

The Sandbox and "my iPad" both take up storage on your iPad. If you need to reduce your usage of iPad storage, you need to reduce use of both of those. 

4 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

How do I clear the Sandbox on V1 apps ? (Which I still have installed just in case V2 develops an update bug or something - I could probably just get rid of them now really as I’m getting used to V2 and finding the interface a bit easier to use in some ways)

Much the same as in V2, and just as I described. You Save, then close the files so they no longer appear in the application home screen. 

6 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

What’s the best way to keep the Sandbox clear (once I’m confidently backed up with al my work)? V1 and V2

Save the files, and close them. That's the best, and really only, way. 

8 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Where do the brush sets get stored once they’re downloaded and installed are they still saved somewhere else taking up space? It’s absolutely not clear to me because iPadOS is just a confusing mess! (I mean I love my iPad really but the developers at Apple can go screw themelves)

They are saved with other internal application data like the stuff in the Sandbox. You can't see them, or easily tell how much space they take. So all you can do is minimize the number of them you have installed.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Sandbox and "my iPad" both take up storage on your iPad. If you need to reduce your usage of iPad storage, you need to reduce use of both of those.

You don’t say - asides from the complementary 5GB cloud storage I was really racking my brain wondering where all the data that was clogging up my iPad was being stored 

As for saving and closing - this is what I was doing - so why was there 35GB of data on one app?

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Much the same as in V2, and just as I described. You Save, then close the files so they no longer appear in the application home screen. 

Save the files, and close them. That's the best, and really only, way.

Yet there was 35GB of data clogging up my device - I mean to the max (the bar was showing only apps and iOS and all the other colours for files etc were off the end so I don’t know how my iPad was still operating) - it only cleared when I selected Close All Documents

Maybe the data wasn’t there though and it was just the OS being slow to update - I’ve noticed it can be like this sometimes?

What about the 6.84GB of data on Designer V1?

11 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I’ve got no files open in Designer V1 - so why is it taking up 6.84GB of space?

If I download the same addons through another app does that mean it’s duplicating the same data in the mystery sandbox that we’re not allowed to be able to see what’s in there?

The program itself takes space (but not that much, probably). The Assets you have installed take space, as do the Brushes. Anything you have showing as installed in My Account within the app is taking space.

And just to make sure: when you go to the program's Home Screen, there's nothing showing at all?

-- Walt
PC:

11 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Maybe the data wasn’t there though and it was just the OS being slow to update - I’ve noticed it can be like this sometimes?

Have you tried a forced restart of your iPad?

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/force-restart-ipad-ipad9955c007/ipados

-- Walt
PC:

On 3/14/2023 at 10:40 AM, walt.farrell said:

The program itself takes space (but not that much, probably). The Assets you have installed take space, as do the Brushes. Anything you have showing as installed in My Account within the app is taking space.

And just to make sure: when you go to the program's Home Screen, there's nothing showing at all?

Yes - as I just said - if there were files showing then that would maybe explain the 6.85GB and I wouldn't be asking why there are 6.85GB

On 3/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, walt.farrell said:

Only ever done that once and they say you don't need to do this - I will try later and see if that works (or I might just delete the app - can always reinstall it if I need to)

53 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Or I might try a reset first - if I were to uninstall the app I might want to go through the options that also delete all files with it - but then I'm thinking "what if it deletes all my V2 files as well?" 😩

Would you be uninstalling V1 or V2? If V1, it won't affect V2 files.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Would you be uninstalling V1 or V2? If V1, it won't affect V2 files.

V1 - obviously

Most of the files on there were made is V1 so I won't be doing the Delete App option (which is kind of named wrongly - but at least the Apple devs were kind enough to explain somewhere in the process that this will all delete App AND Files) I'll just be deleting it the normal way

51 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Most of the files on there were made is V1

They will be safe as long as:

1. You have Saved them; and
  2. They are not in the application's folder in "on my iPad", but someplace else (a different non-Affinity-created folder on your iPad, or in the Cloud).

-- Walt
PC:

I was wondering about this too. I don't know what you mean by "sandbox" though.  Do you mean the Live Files view when I open Designer?

The question is: if I have my files saved to icloud, they shouldn't take up much space in the Designer app (as reported by the Ipad storage screen), right?  Just enough for a thumbnail view of the file?

50 minutes ago, Benfischer said:

The question is: if I have my files saved to icloud, they shouldn't take up much space in the Designer app (as reported by the Ipad storage screen), right?  Just enough for a thumbnail view of the file?

You'd think yeah - but designing OS's based on logic or common sense seems to be something that escapes the developers at Apple these days

31 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

You'd think yeah - but designing OS's based on logic or common sense seems to be something that escapes the developers at Apple these days

I managed to test this. I managed to go from 2.5GB up to 5.5GB by applying some Shizzle styles to a group of shapes, then saved the file and eventually the storage dropped back to 2.2G. File is still in live documents view.   It took a minute for the ipad to reclaim the storage. 

actually I had to close and reopen Designer for the storage used to be updated  

Edited by Benfischer
Update steps taken

32 minutes ago, Benfischer said:

I managed to test this. I managed to go from 2.5GB up to 5.5GB by applying some Shizzle styles to a group of shapes, then saved the file and eventually the storage dropped back to 2.2G. File is still in live documents view.   It took a minute for the ipad to reclaim the storage. 

actually I had to close and reopen Designer for the storage used to be updated  

So the app added 2.2GB to your memory just by applying some styles to some shapes?

9 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

So the app added 2.2GB to your memory just by applying some styles to some shapes?

Yep. The kicker seems to be multiple shapes. I had a group made up of about 5 simple shapes (ellipse, rectangles, one polygon converted to curves and reshaped). And added a style to the lot of them. Instant bloat.   Based on the growth, each shape added several hundred MB

8 hours ago, Benfischer said:

You might have to delete the app and re-install it to clear the zombie data.  Or maybe you can just offload it and reload it, which would probaby be easier as it should save your settings.

You are correct, deleting the app and re-install is the only way to recover the space. Offloading the app will make no difference at all.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Restarting achieved nothing

So I just deleted both Photo V1 and Designer V1 - which freed up exactly 10GB on my iPad - which was nice

Files saved in locations other than as explained by Walt here remained 

I used the Delete App option in the settings > general / iPad Storage

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They will be safe as long as:

1. You have Saved them; and
  2. They are not in the application's folder in "on my iPad", but someplace else (a different non-Affinity-created folder on your iPad, or in the Cloud).