You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: table row alternating background fill + rows "escaping" from table after import from .indd

Hellooooo people!

I haven't been able to find anything about filling rows with alternating colors in a table. I am trying to migrate from Adobe and I am having trouble with tables in general. I did study the help about tables but I still quite confused with the whole table thing.

Also I imported a table from .indd and most of the rows are 'out of frame' (see attached). What's up with that?

Anyone has an explanation, a tip, a youtube, a blog ? 

Warm waves from South of France 👋

Capture d’écran 2023-02-28 à 09.52.24.png

Table formatting is a bit quirky but keep at it and you'll have a lightbulb moment

This is one way of formatting in V1
Main table at top, dummy table 1 column, 4 rows to create style below

Select cells of dummy and set cell fill in Table panel

image.png.afb85f52caa6c4606f32624bb561f041.png

Add style from selection to Styles panel

image.png.0c0eb00888518b7a83037723114cdee2.png

Select main table and apply style

image.png.bc2efac2cf03413ea1bea18b444ac1ee.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Now onto the other table challenge. I've been exploring every tool and box to check/uncheck but am still at loss with this: 

When imported from .indd, my tables (I have a lot, otherwise I would just rebuild from scratch) appear this way:
the main frame (black arrow selection) is rightly positionned but the "inside frame" (with the rows and text and stuff -white arrow selection-) is shifted up and out of frame.
I can't seem to be able to "shift it back into" main frame.
Any help very appreciated 🙏

This is how it is supposed to look :image.thumb.png.e434f9a196fc7549e9471d7c2de91ef1.png

After import, you can see the rows all "gone up"

image.png.b5a5f9d82c3fe4e945490468ed5fc357.png

This is how it looks like with preview mode:

image.thumb.png.8eedacbc10d30085293391bde1b7a1e2.png

image.png.7ac9f467f64b450e8033dd734572967b.png

image.png

• Staff
On 3/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, Sophie Gauthier said:

the main frame (black arrow selection) is rightly positionned but the "inside frame" (with the rows and text and stuff -white arrow selection-) is shifted up and out of frame.

Could you attach the IDML file you show in your screenshot and I'll take a look at what's happening and see if there's anything that can be done :)  If you'd rather not attach the IDL file, you can upload it to our private Dropbox here.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, Sophie Gauthier said:

Your 2 tables are pinned to 2 text frames but it's the bottom of the tables that are pinned to the top of the text frame which is why they are "out of frame"

Can't see any reason why the tables need to be pinned to text frames so the easiest solution seems to be to Unpin the 2 tables using the Pinning Studio. Delete the (now) redundant text frames then position the 2 tables where you want them on the page.

The 2 tables will now line up as regards the rows of the table but they will go out of sync again as Row 15 on the right-hand table has an extra Return character at the end of the text (So, just delete that Return character)

Note: Should the text frames be important for any reason, just unpin the tables reposition the tables then re-pin them to the text frame. They will now be correctly pinned from the top of the tables to the top of the text frame

@stokerg may be able to advise you on why this has happened after he has looked at the IDML file

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hey there!
I've been working on it and @carl123 you have found the trick, thanks a lot.
I have been able to delete the text frames.

As the FAQ is for V1 and am on V2, I still having been able to find the way to the pinning options, but I have managed to unpin via a pin button on the top tool bar.

Just out of curiosity you might want to know that I had indeed built the tables within text frames in InDesign.
I have gone back to Adobe and, yeah, I cannot (or do not know how to) build a table without inserting it into an existing text frame (at least on CS6). Hence the text frames...
Anyway, glad I could get out of this one, learn, and keep on my migration!
To both of you @stokerg and @carl123, again, very thankful!

Take care everyone ❤️

Capture d’écran 2023-03-04 à 18.58.44.png

6 hours ago, Sophie Gauthier said:

As the FAQ is for V1 and am on V2, I still having been able to find the way to the pinning options, but I have managed to unpin via a pin button on the top tool bar.

There is the Pinning Panel. Publisher (V1) View > Studio > Pinning and for Publisher 2 Window > Text > Pinning. This offers the Pin Unpin as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.