You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images imported are being whited out/pixelated

I don't know what is causing this and I am at my wit's end.  I am trying to import tif images that I previously had no problem with until a couple of days ago.  When I import them into Affinity they become whited out with a pixel grid over them.  Then I cannot keep this from happening again even if I try to fix them in levels (which doesn't put them back to normal). When I import the same images into Photoline this also happens, but when I import them into Lightroom or Acorn they look normal (at least fixable in Lightroom).  I am very concerned.   I have a lot of experience with Photoshop (which I no longer use due to subscriptions) so I think there is a setting that I have to undo but please advise.  Attached is a screenshot of what is happening (black and white square image saved as a jpeg).

Edit: I am using version 1.10.6 on Mac Catalina 10.15.7.

sceenshot-affinity.jpg

Can you zip the TIFF file and share that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

I'll try but the zip will still be very large.  It seems to possibly respond to the levels setting but I can't fix it back to the way it was before.   I don't know if it a mask, I don't use masks not on purpose anyway.  I don't know if it's a layer but I only see background layer displayed.

It is happening with multiple images so I'm afraid to work on anything important at this point.

Thanks

Killarmey-Flowers-New-1.tif.zip

Affinity Photo (both v1 and v2) is for some reason opening these images in different color mode (RGBA/16, instead of linear RGB/32 shown in Photoshop):

image.jpeg.b28584eff9e48811054001f33fed2cce.jpeg

EDIT: CorelPHOTO-PAINT opens it similarly as Affinity Photo, DXO PhotoLab 5 cannot open it at all, macOS Preview shows it similarly as PS but says it is a 16-bit image...

After some further tests, quite confusingly these images open without problems in apps like Windows Photos, Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Paint, GIMP, IrfanView, etc. Perhaps the system-level support is good but it is odd that apps like PhotoLab, Corel and Affinity apps fail opening them. There is probably some confusing information included that explains the behavior.

Even Adopey Photoshop CC opens these files brighter than they appear in Preview.

622138673_Screenshot2023-02-16at08_18_56.thumb.png.c2894e3d7d8d0a14343988167f65ebee.png

Pixelmator Pro opens the file correctly so I exported the file as a tiff file and Affinity opens the file as Pixelmator Pro does. I can vaguely remember there were discussions about tif over tiff files a while back, so I wonder if it's the tif that's the issue because all the info is there as can be seen with this exported file from Pixelmator Pro, see zip file attached.

Killarmey-Flowers-New-1 copy.tiff.zip

image.thumb.png.4f8247b88eb1c0837074586a27755cdc.png

With regard to the original file, there is a 32bit preview panel that you can enable and also changing the format to 32bit Adobe RGB 1998 linear kind of helps but I can only get a translucent image.

image.thumb.png.73f0e10af1b128e940cc923f3e2747be.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, lacerto said:

Affinity Photo (both v1 and v2) is for some reason opening these images in different color mode (RGBA/16, instead of linear RGB/32 shown in Photoshop):

I'm not a Photoshop user, but I'm curious whether there's any significance to what PS showed: RGB/32* or to the * at the end of the message.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

in Preview

I opened the TIFF in Preview and saved it without alpha channel.
That fixed it.
In other words, there was some data that is being falsely "moved" to alpha when opened in Photo directly.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not a Photoshop user, but I'm curious whether there's any significance to what PS showed: RGB/32* or to the * at the end of the message.

Actually, If you see an asterisk (*) inside the brackets as in next to the 32, it means your image is in a colour profile other than your working space default. If your working space is Adobe RGB and your image is too, then no asterisk, but if instead you open a file in sRGB, it will have an asterisk at the end of the title bar information to let you know about the profile mismatch. This isn't a bad thing necessarily since you could easily have opened it this way on purpose. Photoshop is just subtly letting you know about the situation.

The one outside means you have made changes but not saved yet.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, loukash said:

I opended the TIFF in Preview and saved it without alpha channel.
That fixed it.
In other words, there was some data that is being falsely "moved" to alpha when opened in Photo directly.

Nice quick fix.

Thanks all but I have tried exporting the color image as a tiff but it still opens the same way in Affinity.   I can open it normally in Preview (as well as Acorn) but I still don't know what the Affinity issue is.

Hoping there is a simple solution to this?

Have you tried @loukash workaround?

That fixed it.

5 hours ago, loukash said:

That fixed it.

Actually it's not the transparency that's the problem as I've just used Preview to export to a tiff file and left the transparency option checked, I think the it works because it goes to 16bit

35 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Nice quick fix.

That was on Catalina, by the way.
Currently working in El Capitan, the old Preview can't deal with it either.
PS CS5.1 shows the same symptoms as your PS CC

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

From what I see in the Channels panel, I have a "vague" theoretical idea how to fix it in Photo but I don't know off the top of my head how to proceed (apart from being currently busy with something totally different: FileMaker database programming)
Basically I would try to copy the alpha channel values and add them to each RGB channel.

Just had an epic mess around with channels and you can get a semblance of the image barring the small darker area's which end up being unsightly marks and effectively ruins any process.

File > Export... from Preview as an OpenEXR file allows affinity to open the file as: image.png.1bdf5bbd334307b596956b6a9ab2c8e9.png even though it's exported as 16bit so not sure if the 32bit data is retained or not, any way of finding out?

Killarmey-Flowers-New-1 copy.exrApprox 26Mb 

Hi thanks for all this but I don't think this fixes the real issue which is why the images are opening this way in Affinity?  I still have decent copies of them that I can open in other software but Affinity is still opening tiffs/tifs whited out.

I just need for them to open normally without having to alter the color profile/channels if I am understanding all this?

What we are doing is trying to figure out why Affinity Photo is opening your tif files like it does, sometimes it's good to document efforts, it may help people further down the line with troublesome files that they can maybe fix until a patch becomes available. Ultimately it's the backend that will have to be fixed but for now there is a workaround from Loukash until that patch appears.

16 minutes ago, roseha said:

but I don't think this fixes the real issue which is why the images are opening this way in Affinity? 

Given that several other applications show the same kind of issue with your file, I think the real question is what's wrong with the file, not what's wrong with Affinity.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I was wrong. An asterisk at the very end of the title indicates save state. An asterisk after bit depth shows basically color profile conflict (in relation to working space), so perhaps in this situation when both the embedded and working space profile were identical (Adobe RGB) the warning was caused by the fact that the image was opened in 32 bits/channel mode (not controllable with non-linear ICC color profiles). Why this happens, I do not understand, but perhaps it has something to do with the images having been originally saved in 16-bit floating point values, and Affinity apps not supporting that. If I save these images in 32-bit per channel state, Affinity apps open the images correctly.

EDIT: It might be related to "Deep Color" feature of 16-bit images saved from Acorn (the app that was used to save the problematic images). These values might be half-precision floating point type in 16-bit mode, reflecting the color depth of 5K displays. When I used Acorn to open and resave the images OP originally posted in 16-bit state (alpha channel included), they open just fine in all Affinity apps versions 1 included (I am using a basic M1 AirBook mac so no need for "Deep Color") -- so worth of try if saving as 32bpc images resolves the issue.

Branches_over_Water-6x9_16.tif.zip