You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Decoration bug with V2.0.3.

After updating to 2.0.3 the text decoration is not displayed correctly and has moved. In V2.0.0 und Affinity 1 it was displayed correctly.

image.png.de6079834e47b114912a876341ba4695.png

How it looks in Affinity 2.0.3

image.png.33e8d7e72a98f28d98d378b72bc9f929.png

How it should look and how it looks in Affinity 1

Program system: Windows 11

As it looks to me it is a problem in relation with the update. Is there a way to fix it? We could fix it manually but the problem occurs with every afpub file since we made the update.

Alternative languages: German (mother tongue)

Hi Nora and welcome to the forum. It's difficult to understand exactly what the issue is because the two screenshots aren't of the same text and objects. For example, in the 2.0.3 screenshot the white on red text is on top but in the v1 screenshot it's reversed.

Could you please upload a small v1 test file that displays differently in v2?

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

20 minutes ago, Nora GJH said:

because once opened in AF2 I can't open it in AF1 again

Just a comment. Opening it should not cause a problem. Saving it will cause that, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Nora GJH said:

After updating to 2.0.3 the text decoration is not displayed correctly

Text decoration problems have been reported several times in 2.0.3 and should be fixed in the next update

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Could you then show us the decoration settings used so we can try to replicate the issue?

Thanks

image.png.da4b993d024c7dddf62a7df918c303fe.png

AF1 decoration settings

image.png.01a2c4cd88ce3c85f67daffe47b2a9bc.png

AF2 decoration settings.

Same file. And sorry - would have been smarter to provide you these screenshots in my initial message ;)

Thanks for the screenshots.

As Carl said, this is a known issue in 2.0.3. When Serif fixes it in an upcoming update, your v1 file should display properly in that version but your 2.0.3 file will likely display incorrectly. The issue is the bottom field is reversed, positive to negative.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

I am not able to duplicate this problem on my end. Hard to tell what is happening without looking at the original file.

I did create my own test document in Affinity v1 and I opened that same file in Affinity V2 which gave the normal warning about opening legacy files. Despite the warning, the appearance of the graphic looked identical to its original form with the decoration values matching. I was also able to save the file as a v2 version with no problem.

Affinity v1 and v2 with the same file open (notice read only ). This particular file imported with no surprises in v2 other than a warning of opening legacy files.

74398579lfuhgh.thumb.png.d53073fdb1d6cb06c0a00bc90a079553.png

3 hours ago, PixelEngineer said:

I am not able to duplicate this problem on my end. Hard to tell what is happening without looking at the original file.

There's a known issue in 2.0.0 and 2.0.3 with Paragraph > Decorations > Bottom. The entered value will be the inverse of what you entered, so entering 1pt will give you -1pt or vice versa. Create text in v1 with a bottom decoration and copy and paste it into v2 to see the issue.

Hi, @MikeTO thanks for pointing this out.

Ironically, as you saw in my post, the values that I used had no effect. After applying changes based on your description I now see it.

So it seems that this issue occurs only when opening  v1 files into the major upgraded v2. Is that correct? 

In my experience, Affinity Publisher v2  decoration Edit: seemed to work correctly when designing files natively from scratch in version 2 while showing the correct numerical values. Opening a copy of a design in a new document within the same version of the application will not present any problems in both version 1 and version 2.  This seemed to contradict the title description.

In any case I did see the problem now.

Thanks again for point that out I wasn't aware of that.

7 hours ago, PixelEngineer said:

So it seems that this issue occurs only when opening  v1 files into the major upgraded v2. Is that correct? 

It's also for creating new files. Positive values = inset and Negative values = outset. In 2.0.0 and 2.0.3, the bottom value is reversed so creating new files or opening v1 files will show an inset for a negative value and an outset for a positive value. 

• Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the 2.0.3 release of the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using those builds this problem no longer occurs.

Unfortunately while the Text Frame "Bottom" decoration UI was broken in 2.0.3. If you actually used that field to adjust your frame decoration, then when loaded into 2.0.4 your document will look different to the way it drew in the (incorrect) 2.0.3 version. Please tweak your decoration bottom value in 2.0.4 and it should look correct again (as it did in 1.10.x or 2.0.0)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon