You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to match image colors using an image as a reference?

Hello how are you?

I need your help. I have some product images from a client and I need them all to have the same color tone. In Photoshop I used Match Color to match the colors of the images, using an image as a reference.

Is there a tool that does this automatically in Affinity Photo or do I need to do it manually?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

DSC04573.jpg

image.jpeg.aff9f1e4c62df1f0096f17c4af312a29.jpeg

I use Sabacan (on Mac) ; free on the App Store ; really easy to use…

It can help you for a few pics.

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

On 1/18/2023 at 2:52 PM, Michel Saguiar said:

Is there a tool that does this automatically in Affinity Photo or do I need to do it manually?

There's no automatic tool to do it but a recolour adjustment will allow you to do it manually

You could then add that as a recolour preset to do it "automatically" to other similarly coloured prawns

prawn2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

There's no automatic tool to do it but a recolour adjustment will allow you to do it manually

This is not a good idea!
With "Recolor" you merely colour a black and white variant of the image monochromatically. The result is an image that consists of only one colour. The different colour tones are created depending on the existing brightness levels. White remains white and black remains black. All other original colours are lost.

For those interested, this is Sabacan, I find it nice, it gives some base values you can play with in Affinity Photo.

image.png.33b18ba36b4250cc49d4cc6b8176f666.png

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

I've had this question a few times over the years but haven't found a solution. I used to use Photoshop's Match Colour option regularly and miss it dearly.

Sabacan looks like exactly what I need, but I'm using Windows. Does anyone know of any similar software for Windows?

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 5 months later...

Anyone know how to use the LUT filter? When you click on "Load Lut" or "infer Lut" it asks for a file. According to the Affinity help, this file has to be in *.3dl, *.csp, *.cube, or *.look format. But how do I create one of these files from my source image.

I really just want to have one image match the colors of another (like the opening poster wanted to do with the prawn images). So if there is an easier way to do it, that would be helpful too!

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: So it looks like you have to open your source image and then create file > Export LUT. But I am not sure how to apply those colours to the target image when you use a LUT filter. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 hour ago, big smile said:

EDIT: So it looks like you have to open your source image and then create file > Export LUT. But I am not sure how to apply those colours to the target image when you use a LUT filter. Any ideas? Thanks!

To use Export LUT you must:

1. Start with a source image.
  2. Modify the appearance of that image by using stand-along adjustment layers.
  3. When it looks like you want, you then Export a LUT, which will incorporate the adjustments you made in step 2.

Then, you can open a different image, and apply the LUT adjustment from step 3 to it to make similar adjustments as you did for the original image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1