You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush tool skipping.

On the iPad Air 4, so 16.2, latest version of AP the brush strokes will skip while you paint using the brush tool. For example you will make 5 brush strokes, the canvas will shaw the first 2 while you do them, however the last 3 will be loaded in after a couple of seconds. The app will also become unresponsive when this happens. 
this issue is infuriating for a digital artist.

7 hours ago, ShelvsHOTpencil said:

Please notice this issue

There is a customer beta that contains a number of fixes for various issues. It installs separately to the release version so if you want to see if it addresses your issue try it, available here:

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:06 PM, DM1 said:

Are you referring to the slider controls for brush settings? If so, it been fixed in latest customer beta.🙂

7 hours ago, DM1 said:

There is a customer beta that contains a number of fixes for various issues. It installs separately to the release version so if you want to see if it addresses your issue try it, available here:

Great thank you 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 12/19/2022 at 6:18 AM, ShelvsHOTpencil said:

The current beta improved it, but it’s still there

Could you post a new recording showing the behaviour now? Also does it depend on the brush thats being used or does it happen with all brushes?

I've just been using the brushes in Photo for the past 20 minutes and couldn't replicate the issue shown in your first recording.

I wonder where in the layer stack that pixel layer is located in @ShelvsHOTpencil's document. Perhaps this is another aspect of the known problem where a pixel layer is nested within a vector object, which causes odd behavior while painting?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I wonder where in the layer stack that pixel layer is located in @ShelvsHOTpencil's document. Perhaps this is another aspect of the known problem where a pixel layer is nested within a vector object, which causes odd behavior while painting?

I am not very tech savvy, however this could be a possibility. Trying to generate the ( wha i assume) are geometric calculations and coordinate informations for a pixel brushes will be taxing. I mean if the software is not just looking at the pixel grid to for the position of dots, I wonder if what you said means that it’s recalculating the dots position. On that note i would like to report that when i zoom on my work ( sketch) there is a square artifact. In the small square in the middle of the screen the are will be blurred and the outside sharp.

I cannot be of much help here as I don't have iPad but there are a few things you could try:
1. As @walt.farrell has pointed out ; there is a long standing issue with 'pixel painting' inside objects in the layer stack. So painting inside a group or layer can have some weird results. The temporary solution is to paint on pixel layers outside any group or layer
2. From what I can see from the video it looks like the brush itself is lagging or delayed in presenting the stroke to the image. This could be a brush issue. 
a. Are your brushes custom or from a commercial set?
b. Have you modified the brush settings in any way?
c. Are they large brushes?

A couple of things to investigate here: 

Is the Spacing on the brush dynamics set to a very low level i.e. 0 or 1 o 2? If so try increasing the spacing slightly to speed up the response.
Are the Nozzles very large in the first instance i.e have you scaled | sized! a very large brush down to the painting size
3. Remove FX Effects: A recent issue I looked at with brush lagging was related to the presence of an FX adjustment on a layer or object in the layer stack. Temporarily removing any FX may also help!
4. Snapping (especially AD) can also effect how a brush works (make it  a bit sticky!) So if working in Pixel Persona make sure it is turned off
5. Brush Dynamics: Simplifying the brush dynamics such as removing rotation Jitter it it is not needed can speed up a brush

This is the link with the FX issue so you can compare

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Ok I will test your recommendation s

3 hours ago, StuartRc said:

I cannot be of much help here as I don't have iPad but there are a few things you could try:
1. as @walt.farrell has pointed out ; there is a long standing issue with 'pixel painting' inside objects in the layer stack. So painting inside a group or layer can have some weird results. The temporary solution is to paint on pixel layers outside any group or layer
2. From what I can see from the video it looks like the brush itself is lagging or delayed in presenting the stroke to the image. This could be a brush issue. 
a. Are your brushes custom or from a commercial set?
b. Have you modified the brush settings in any way?

A couple of things to investigate here: 

Is the spacing on the brush dynamics set to a very low level i.e. 0 or 1 o 2? If so try increasing the spacing slightly to speed up the response.
Are the Nozzles very large in the first instance i.e have you scaled | sized! a very large brush down to the painting size
3. Remove FX effects:A recent issue I looked at with brush lagging was related to the presence of an FX adjustment on a layer or object in the layer stack. Temporarily removing any FX may also help!

4 minutes ago, ShelvsHOTpencil said:

Ok I will test your recommendation s

OK I added the link with the FX issue so you can compare that as well

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1