You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Massive lag with Pencil Tool

I have massive lack with the pencil tool I had this issue already with V1 and nothing changed. (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155786-lag-with-pencil-tool-in-groups-or-objects/)

1. I’m currently using 2.0.0 because with 2.0.3 I have a problem adjusting stroke values (My document preferences are all set to pixel and not points). For this summery I installed 2.0.3 to test it though.
  2. I can reproduce it on V1 and V2 for Windows but not on really on iPad.
  3. It happens over time. The Problem never appears in a fresh layer. It happens only withing curves that are within groups. See attached file
  4. Additional Info:
  • Windows 10 (21H2 – 19044.2364)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with 32 GB Ram (of which 16GB can be used by AD) with a GeForce RTX 2070
  • hardware acceleration is on ON it’s the same when its OFF
  • I have this issue with a Wacom One, with my XP Pen Artist 24 Pro and also when using my Logitech MX Ergo trackball. My main screen is a 4K Monitor. No display managers or anything. I use MS Power Toys but have Fancy Zones deactivated. Updated all drivers but no change. Uninstalled Logitech Options. No change.
  • I also tried all tablet input methods without success.
  • I’m not sure if this ever worked. It doesn’t happen all the time but more often the longer I work with a file. I feel like the lag is getting worse the deeper I get into the layer structure. When I create a new layer, I can paint without lag in the same file.
  • I feel like I have this issue sometimes with way less leg also on the iPad version, but this could be totally unrelated.

Am I the only one with this problem? So far I could not test it on a different computer but if no one has this problem I would try it out on another PC.

Regarding the attached file: It's easy to recreate it if you double-click on the dots on his shoulders and than select the pencil tool to paint in the same group/layer.

Scale_Master_1x1_debug.afdesign

Hi

In the sample file:
If you turn off the FX on your sample file the Vector Brush will paint without much lag inside another object!
Sometimes the brushes work better if the Snapping is disabled

Not sure why the FX is causing issues...could be a bug!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, Cpt. Tom said:

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Do I have to go into each layer with active FX and deactivate it there or is there a fast way I'm currently unaware of. 

No! The FX is at the top of the layer stack.. just disable that one!😀

You Should see a difference in the speed when you draw | Paint inside and object

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

15 minutes ago, Cpt. Tom said:

@StuartRc I can confirm. This works like a charm. Just had to deactivate the one FX (Outline) I had at the topmost layer and it worked. No Lag.

Thank you.

Pleased you have found a solution...still maybe a bug though..I can understand why this appeared to be causing the issue but sort of shouldn't if you know what I mean...Still you can paint now!😀 

@stokerg I use the vector brush tool very seldom, but I just tested it for you and can confirm that the bug applies as well to the vector brush. As soon as I deactivate FX in the topmost layer/group the issue is gone. Also I tried another freehand tool. The knife does not have the same issue. So it seams to be a problem with the rendering rather than the free hand/form/flow action.