You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When is the exe/MSI installer coming?

55 minutes ago, Frank Mu. said:

but it would be nice if I could also use the paid V2 in my workflow (before it is too late for the refund). 

Is there something specific stopping you from using it now?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

At worst go ahead and upgrade before the offer expires, but just don't install until the MSI is available.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

4 hours ago, lphilpot said:

At worst go ahead and upgrade before the offer expires, but just don't install until the MSI is available.

I think it's not a problem of buying the app before the discount expires, but trying the already purchased version so that it can possibly be refund before the 14 day period expires.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, walt.farrell said:

Is there something specific stopping you from using it now?

For example, I cannot integrate the apps into some other programmes and some scripts do not work due to the lack of rights for the installation directory. My backup strategy is bound to a freely selectable installation path. Moving to a partition with a larger block size than 4k is also not possible, etc.  
The msix installer actually only brings disadvantages for the user. The information in the FAQ about the advantages is partly wrong. But this has already been discussed in detail in another thread. 

2 hours ago, Frank Mu. said:

For example, I cannot integrate the apps into some other programmes

There's a FAQ for that two ways of integrating. Depending on the functions in the other programs, the first method (Windows App Execution Aliases) may work for you, or not. If it doesn't, the second method (the aflaunch.exe assistant program) should work.

I would suggest that if you're concerned about testing before you request a refund, that you go with is available now and not worry that you can't specify the exact install location. Do your testing, and do the integration using one of the two methods currently available. That should allow you to make your decision, and if you decide to keep the V2 application(s) you can reinstall when the MSI installer is available. (Though you would have to redo some of your Affinity customizations then, such as Studio layouts, etc.)

ps: As a user, so far I agree with Serif that the MSIX technology has brought some benefits. I may play some with the MSI version when it is delivered, but in I expect I'll probably prefer the MSIX-based version, if my guesses are correct about what I'll lose with the MSI version.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

ps: As a user, so far I agree with Serif that the MSIX technology has brought some benefits. I may play some with the MSI version when it is delivered, but in I expect I'll probably prefer the MSIX-based version, if my guesses are correct about what I'll lose with the MSI version.

No intent to start an argument nor derail this topic, but I don't recall reading specifically what Serif said the MSI advantages are? (I'm sure in all the deluge of posts I just missed it.) From what I've seen MSIX takes away user-level control while the MSI (or other standard installer) advantages are accessibility and the capability to make my own update / upgrade decisions.

Just curious - Thanks.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

pretty much what you wrote;
MSI apps are not sandboxed from other applications (important when working with other programs)
MSI has easy discovery of app locations for launching from a third-party.  same as above.
MSI can allow the user to change the installation directory. (SSDs, M.2-SSDs are still expensive)
MSI updates require a manual download of the full ~550mb installer which must be manually installed. <- preferable when known regressions have happened or you need to "lock in" a version for workflow reasons on a big project.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

So basically what I thought. Thanks.

Len