You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flatten transparency - Set opacity to 100% and use the colour closest to the transparant colour

One way to flatten would be via menu Layer > "Rasterize" or right-click the selected layer > "Rasterize". If more than one layer should get flattened you can group them first and apply "Rasterize".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Can you explain what exactly do you mean by flatten transparencies?
if you don't want any transparent areas, but keep the file in vector format, just add a rectangular fill layer, and choose a color.

if you have semi-transparent areas, add a levels adjustment, select alpha channel, set offset to 100%

how do you define “color closest to non-transparent pixels” - can you give an example? 

Or do you have something different in mind?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

13 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Can you explain what exactly do you mean by flatten transparencies?

Quoting from some Adobe docs:

At its simplest, the process of flattening converts all of the overlapping and interacting elements in a group of transparent objects into a collection of opaque elements that result in the same appearance as the original.

Note that this does not necessarily mean "rasterization". Illustrator is able to flatten transparencies while keeping everything as vectors.

image.png.5de18893f5e946d73c3fade21432b708.png

I am not aware of an option to flatten vector within Affinity.

One workaround could be via Geometry > Divide to separate overlapping parts … but this appears to require reassigning of transparency and colours.

Another workaround would be to export as PDF –> flatten in an external editor (e.g. Acrobat) –> open the flattened PDF in Affinity.

v1105 .pdf –> v1105 flattened.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

26 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

So this means I cannot flatten transpararency without rasterizing my vector objects?

I guess so, unless you do it manually (e.g. recording the blend values, then dividing, then applying the blend color values as opaque colors). It would be quite useful feature -- I am just checking if it is available in VectorStyler, but so far no joy. Affinity apps always rasterize transparencies also when exporting to PDF/X-1 or PDF/X-3  [in addition to also unnecessarily forcing conversion to CMYK] so you cannot use that method, either (you might of course have looked this feature to work around that omission, in the first place).  

The workflow is that it can be easy to mute colours through opacity. For instance, with map making you may want to point out related landscapes with the same but muted colours (e.g. arable land and meadows). So you mute the colours with opacity and then flatten transparency to get the corresponding 100% non-transparent colour.

Thanks for chiming in @MEB

Is this something you could log for the developers? Or should I create a separate feature request for this? I mean, I could modify the first post and perhaps this thread could be moved over to the feature request section. It's not a high priority item, but it's nice to have nonetheless.