You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't save my documents - "Save failed because the file could not be written to"

Alex_M

Hi, Affinity team,

I'm still having this problem with the new version 2.0 of Affinity Photo. This happens sporadically only when saving to a mapped network drive (a brand new WD Red Pro HDD bought a few weeks ago). Thankfully, I can safely save the file on my desktop when this bug happens. Please see the screenshot below. Affinity Photo is the only software I use that refuses to save it's documents for unknown reasons and it's really bothersome. Sometimes I even lose documents I was unable to save on the network drive because I saved them on the desktop and deleted them by mistake when cleaning up my desktop.

This bug has been plaguing Affinity Photo for more than 4 years now. Here's my first thread about it from all the way back in 2018 when a different HDD was used. Can you kindly look into this?

Affinity_Photo_V2_failed_to_save.webp

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

Same issue, I had a document in v1, opened in v2 (worked on it) and then save says "save failed because file could not be written to ". So then I thought if I save file as new name as new v2 version it says file not found exist, as though I trying to open it.....mmmmmm
Update - When I try to close it says would you like to save, error ""save failed because file could not be written to "" and would you like to save as a new file, and then error file does not exist (well ofcourse not, but I not trying to open). I can create a new file in v2 (Affinity photo) and save, no issues.
Same computer, no change in Drive.... using SSD drive on laptop as before..
V2 2.0.0

reading the post above ---- I can save to the desktop --but not to the original folder (even if I rename the file) ..something wierd..

Edited by Rusty_photo
update

Good to hear I'm not the only one. This means it's a wide spread bug and hopefully it will be fixed? Just to add, this happens not only on mine, but on another workstation here too. Both on Photo V2 and Photo V1.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

as above.....once you have saved a file on desktop, you can then open v1 version in v2 and save......

its like in that session it know,

yep if you close program.. it starts again..open v1 in v2 try and save added suffix_v2 in file name, says does not exist...(like I am trying to open)

save that file to desktop, no worries..

try and save _v2 in orginal main folder, not even sub folder says does not exist.

CAN ONLY SAVE TO DESKTOP........urgh... annoying...

I have the same issue with Designer 2 on a Mac.

I never head that issue before and have been using Affinity for 3 years now. I can't save the file anywhere. First I thought it was the gradient but it is not. I also started a new file, saved the empty file without issue, copied the content in (nothing special) and tried to save again and now it's giving me that error message. 

Just had to make changes to the file after I closed Affinity Designer. Luckily I had a pdf saved that I imported, and I was able to save an .afdesign from that pdf.

Edited by Myriam

Strange, check the folder permissions on your external drive as I use up to three mapped external drives at a time and no issues. Also check that your mapped drive always attaches to the same designated drive letter each and every time.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I'm having random 'file opened as read only' errors . I never had this issue with V1. 

I don't lock files in windows . So Affinity is doing something to the files on load. 

I've been experimenting with embedding and linking affinity photo files so it may be a bug with this feature in v2

• 1 month later...

This is becoming a real pain........

HOWEVER is this is a clue to devs - it happened on another program not AP, but only once.

It might windows/affinity photo issue??

A solution is to save to desktop and then copy back in folder.. it works as normal on desktop? very strange

• 2 weeks later...

- update - I have just found a solution (This is File not found
Check the filename and try again - it may be related to this?) and it is TURNING off Windows Secuity > Ransomware protection > controlled folder access - (you could turn off controlled folder access but not safe...)

and then  allow apps through that "controlled folder access" when ON and then choose blocked apps -

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the forums @Genevieve D,

Since 2.2.0 there were improvements made to the app's file handling process, however we are aware some users are still experiencing this problem and as such we have a new issue logged internally for this which I'll bump with your report. I'd suggest first confirming if this is a file specific problem by trying to save a new blank document out to the desktop and seeing if the error persists.

I'd also suggest that you try saving to a local location on your disk that's not backed up to the iCloud, as it's possible to set iCloud to back up the Documents/Desktop directories which could be causing issues.