You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Document window - productivity gone...

I just tried to create a new document. And I can't believe my eyes. And my brain. :)

How is this supposed to be productive? In V1 i choose the file format on the left and then just select the desired options in the right column. The I click on the nice blue button to Create. Takes 

In V2 I select the file format on the left and then I have to click four(!) times on Pages, Colour, Margin and Bleed to select the desired options and then Create - btw I think this particular button should definitely stand out in some way. But four extra clicks. Why?

And the Orientation Button should be within the Layout section, where it makes more sense. I couldn't even find it at the beginning.

And - do we really need such large preview of the file we want to create? I get it - it shows margins and bleed but do we really need it when all of this space could be use to simplify the other settings?

Productive? Definitely not. 

Look, I bought V2 licence yesterday without hesitation. I will keep it anyway but as of this moment the UI (and partially UX) of the V2 is sooo bad that I cannot even work with it. Well, I can, of course but without the joy I feel when working in V1.

I love you guys at Serif and will support you all the way till the day I won't be able to hold my wacom pen in my hand anymore, but you need to re-think some stuff. ;) 

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 9.38.34.png

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 9.39.11.png

Hi, @brunoczech,

In V1, you have to change almost every setting every time.

In V2, you create the settings once and each tab allows you to go through everything thoroughly without forgetting anything (this was a complaint of version 1). A button appears to overwrite the old template or create a new one (here 6×9 inches), you save your format, and that's it. The following times, you only have to click once on the Create button without anything else to add.

6x9.thumb.png.e29b06b9b6e2b72e29b2393d0b8ee3b8.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

16 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

Hi, @brunoczech,

In V1, you have to change almost every setting every time.

In V2, you create the settings once and each tab allows you to go through everything thoroughly without forgetting anything (this was a complaint of version 1). A button appears to overwrite the old template or create a new one (here 6×9 inches), you save your format, and that's it. The following times, you only have to click once on the Create button without anything else to add.

6x9.thumb.png.e29b06b9b6e2b72e29b2393d0b8ee3b8.png

You are correct. But I could still create my Presets even in V1 so if I used some formats frequently I was easy to create it.
V2 doesn't remember the last used settings so I would have to create a template which is just like in V1.

And I would much prefer to see all the settings at once in one column than having to go back to one of these 5 tabs just to check if I choose the settings right (I know I can alter all these settings within the Document Setup later on).

I guess it's a matter of personal preference in the end. And I can get used to this...

Anyway - the UI is still very very bad, which is already being covered in other topics. Check the screenshots - I just marked one preset as Favourite. But I can barely see it!
It gets little better in Dark UI but here the sections for Print, Press Ready basically dissapeared... 🙄 

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 10.46.49.png

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 10.47.03.png

You can overwrite a setting and replace it with your own and if you are wrong, you can go back to the factory setting.

Try for example to modify A4.

a4.thumb.jpg.f23460f502507a1a9831e9243d72caff.jpg

I changed all the print formats to 400 dpi and with the margins and crop zones of my printer. I don't have to rewrite them every time.

After that, when you create a new setting, it's just a matter of taste and habit. Is it better to use the elevator and risk forgetting some settings, or to be more methodical and go through each tab with little each time. I personally feel that the new method is more relevant.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

3 hours ago, brunoczech said:

In V2 I select the file format on the left and then I have to click four(!) times on Pages, Colour, Margin and Bleed to select the desired options and then Create

The alleged benefits of this particular "improvement" are puzzling me as well.

I like the left-hand side better though. Especially since the custom categories are now shared in all three apps.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I love the new dialog, mainly because presets are no longer tabbed. I found them clunky to use and I use my own premade presets/templates a ton. The tabbed preferences makes it easier to focus in on specific settings. It does help eliminate scrolling.

More settings are more likely to be added than default presets, so that's likely why they've moved settings into tabbed categories.

2 hours ago, brunoczech said:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 at 13.14.22.jpg

lol, that's definitely an oversight. Have to lean in to see anything at all.

Admittedly most of this is subjective: my opinion of the new document window is that I really like how it turned out. Trying to find something objective to compare, the thing that comes to mind is that the previous version wasted so much space on visually displaying all the presets with the same icon-like rectangle that gave no information at all to the user, while the new preview does update to visually represent current settings.

To contrast my positive feelings on this dialog with the export dialog, here it is mostly quite positive while there it is mixed: somewhat more functional but visually unattractive.

• 3 months later...

I really dislike the new document window.

1.) you cannot collapse any of the categories

2.) using the search, e.g. type "web" - result: all main categories are shown, impossible to open any of them

3.) what sense does it make to select portrait or landscape mode for web formats? this should be inside the context settings (a switch arrow next to width/height)

4.) The preview on the right is not really helpful to quickly see the documents dimensions. E.g. FHD 1080 and QFHD simply have the same format

5.) In v1 - the preview was there to select the format and not the way it is now. There is no visual help to select the desired format. You need to read and check each item!

Big drawback for my productivity!