You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical ordered text for CJK users

Adding Vertical Text is not a way to make some "workarounds" easy (e.g. Pressing "Enter" after each character).

For sake of non-CJK users, "Pressing "Enter" after each character" DOES NOT create same output as vertical textbox does, since:

1. Letters will not be properly center-aligned
  2. Some letters' (like periods "。" and commas "、") positions differs in vertical/horizontal text
  3. kerning, or spacing between certain letters doesn't work
  4. how should we write multi-line texts?

So "Pressing "Enter" after each character" is not even a workaround. I am afraid Affinity members are not looking into this functionality lack since they think there are known workarounds.

As rayRyo pointed out, vertical text is critical for Designer and Publisher usage.
For me, I would like to use vertical text for posters and video thumbnails, but Affinity products are not for them currently.
This is very sad.

Edited by ndac_todoroki

31 minutes ago, Distill7 said:

Non-Latin language support like CJK, RTL and CTL is very poor in affinity. And the company even said that this will take a long time to implement and they have other things to focus on. So I won't expect a fix in the near future.

Since V2 was announced as a replacement for V1 and the official announcement that V3 will be released as well, it is not a good idea to continue to not add vertical writing functionality.
As long as Affinity supports at least Chinese and Japanese versions, ignoring those features is like wasting money on translations.
In fact, there are many Japanese users who left Affinity in despair over the lack of vertical writing in V2.

We are well aware of the cost and time required to implement non-Latin texts.
That is why we would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the importance of those text features and ask you to start developing them.

I'm sorry if my English is strange because I don't usually touch English at all 😢

15 minutes ago, rayRyo said:

Since V2 was announced as a replacement for V1 and the official announcement that V3 will be released as well, it is not a good idea to continue to not add vertical writing functionality.
As long as Affinity supports at least Chinese and Japanese versions, ignoring those features is like wasting money on translations.
In fact, there are many Japanese users who left Affinity in despair over the lack of vertical writing in V2.

We are well aware of the cost and time required to implement non-Latin texts.
That is why we would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the importance of those text features and ask you to start developing them.

I'm sorry if my English is strange because I don't usually touch English at all 😢

I don't work for affinity xD! and if I did, I would make languages support top-priority.

6 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

I think what they want to say with this is that you get any update until the time a future V3 is released. That is years away at the moment.

Of course, I understand that.
What I mean here is that there should not be a situation where we reach the V3 release in this state and still vertical writing is not implemented.

I see at least one big advantage - As kanji are not cursive the needed changes to the text engine will be much easier than for arabic support.

Till then - しょうがない :)

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

It's disingenuous of Serif to say Publisher V2 is officially supports Japanese and Simplified Chinese.

Vertical text and ruby input are essential for those of us who wish to use Affinity Publisher in those languages. We've been asking Serif for years to include them in an update. Sadly, I can now only conclude that actual Japanese and Chinese language support isn't even on Serif's roadmap.

52 minutes ago, mangauniversity said:

It's disingenuous of Serif to say Publisher V2 is officially supports Japanese and Simplified Chinese.

Vertical text and ruby input are essential for those of us who wish to use Affinity Publisher in those languages. We've been asking Serif for years to include them in an update. Sadly, I can now only conclude that actual Japanese and Chinese language support isn't even on Serif's roadmap.

I definitely agree with this. Yes, it can be used by those users especially for things like photo editing but it's not proper support yet, at least in the fullest sense.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, rayRyo said:

Of course, I understand that.
What I mean here is that there should not be a situation where we reach the V3 release in this state and still vertical writing is not implemented.

SerifのツイターページではVertical textに関するツイトー返事がありますね。どうぞ:

読んでいた時に、「テキストを表示するコードはこうに複雑であれば、進むことが長い時間に起こらないもんだ」と気がしました。あいにく、RTLの機能に関してもこの掲示板でそうと確認されそう。残念。

image.png.a1d54c3ea39e0b9086b4c6996831df9c.png

image.png.b90ca42245bd8b9f15698fa0d6fddb37.png

6 hours ago, debraspicher said:

読んでいた時に、「テキストを表示するコードはこうに複雑であれば、進むことが長い時間に起こらないもんだ」と気がしました。あいにく、RTLの機能に関してもこの掲示板でそうと確認されそう。残念。

That is disappointing!

I am genuinely wondering why Affinity did not implement the vertical writing feature in this paid update.
If that were the case, both new and existing CJK users would have clapped their hands and purchased the universal license.

Well, if they were going to do such a nasty thing like implementing vertical writing immediately after the discount period, I would understand (in this case, I feel sorry for those who didn't buy it).

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 4:21 PM, Distill7 said:

Non-Latin language support like CJK, RTL and CTL is very poor in affinity. And the company even said that this will take a long time to implement and they have other things to focus on. So I won't expect a fix in the near future.

+1 on non-latin support, had to use workarounds with other software, using the text just as vector shapes, but it is no ideal

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...