You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. 

I appreciate your help on this matter:

The purpose is to achieve a pure white background using the Dodge brush tool. 

The method I use is to set the tool to highlights, then apply it to the desired areas. 

The problem is that when it passes over an area of medium or dark tones, it invades them lightening them.

In my experience with another photo editing program, the dodge tool only lightened areas that tended towards light tones, without affecting mid-tones or darks.

Is it possible with Affinity Photo to do it, making adjustments in the tool so that only the desired tonal range is modified, without affecting the others?

Thanks a lot.

image.thumb.png.2dc931bc16a02d0b03fbd9a4d7a38353.pngimage.thumb.png.da5e888016e896b35f24ab517b78b307.pngimage.thumb.png.481f5328a1d2d9b89c42c8eeac6fa1fe.png

image.thumb.png.47a4aec560653fe7170b21d635265e3e.png

Hi, @Carlos A. Flores

Use the selection brush image.png.ddfd8b383533ee63b3dcf4a75c63cccc.png and mark the dog with it.

Then set the brush selection image.png.9a642091b5c775eaa2389547d1a23206.png to subtract and select the light areas between the legs.

Now invert the pixel selection with shift + ctrl + i. With the remove key you can now cut out the object.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thanks for your guide, Komatös.

I appreciate your help. I already tried this method, but the finishing of the edges is not satisfactory to me, 
and fine-tuning this takes longer than the Dodge Brush method.

That is why I need to find out if it is possible to do it with the Dodge tool that Affinity Photo has, as I could do with the program I used previously. I did it faster and more satisfactorily.

Thank you for your time and kindness, Komatös. 🙏

"In my experience with another photo editing program, the dodge tool only lightened areas that tended towards light tones, without affecting mid-tones or darks.

Is it possible with Affinity Photo to do it, making adjustments in the tool so that only the desired tonal range is modified, without affecting the others?"

6 hours ago, Carlos A. Flores said:

The purpose is to achieve a pure white background using the Dodge brush tool. 

The method I use is to set the tool to highlights, then apply it to the desired areas. 

The problem is that when it passes over an area of medium or dark tones, it invades them lightening them.

The Dodge Tool appears to work different than expected: Both modes, Highlights / Shadows, seem to affect the same tonal range (e.g. below 10 – 90 %) but just with different intensity.
1860953792_dodgetool-highlightsvsshadows.thumb.jpg.8497cf5043c15f4abea07cbf3a44c451.jpg

While the Help implies that certain tones would be excluded from being affected:

1848615370_dodgetool-help.jpg.9cdbb79f76dfe5e7f29b490fbc7b0d7f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 hours ago, Carlos A. Flores said:

I appreciate your help. I already tried this method, but the finishing of the edges is not satisfactory to me, and fine-tuning this takes longer than the Dodge Brush method.

Not sure why you are having a problem using the Selection Brush Tool?

It seems to do a very good job on the first pass without any fine-tuning

doggy.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
8 hours ago, thomaso said:

Unfortunately it is a known issue since several years / app versions. – Maybe @stokerg has an info update?

I can confirm this is still logged with our developers - though I'm 'bumping' the report now to bring it to their attention once again.

As Carl has mentioned, I've also been able to use the Select and Delete process with this background without issue and I would suspect this is the easiest method for clean results.

If you're still having trouble @Carlos A. Flores then please let us know and we can walk you through the best settings/workflow for this image :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello Dan C. 

I appreciate your attention.

Indeed, this method is working properly. 

I had not achieved the desired result because the soft edges checkbox was not selected.

This way of work is very useful for this type of images.

But, I still need to have the Dodge Brush working properly for images like this portrait:

When applying the Dodge Brush tool in the areas close to the hair, the affectation is evident: detail is lost.

Thank you for your help with this, Dan C.  🙏

Captura de Pantalla 2022-08-01 a la(s) 9.58.47.png

Captura de Pantalla 2022-08-01 a la(s) 9.58.34.png

19 hours ago, Carlos A. Flores said:

When applying the Dodge Brush tool in the areas close to the hair, the affectation is evident: detail is lost.

To isolate objects, a selection can often enable a better, more precise result, aside the complex "Refine" options, also for instance when using the flood selection tool with its "Contiguous" function selected.

Note that in your example there is grey hair around the edge, which is very slightly different from the background. Especially in the case of hairs, some people do not even try to isolate them perfectly, but prefer to (re)paint such individual hairs afterwards with an appropriate brush.

Even if the Tonal Ranges of Dodge would get fixed, I would not expect the Dodge Tool with its only 3 modes to be able to detect these subtle differences. And as I understand this tool, it is not meant to keep such a clear separation between similar tones as one might want with a selection.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1